Rolls-Royce Armoured Car 1914 & 1920

I was originally going to build the Miniart Austin for the groupbuild but Ed beat me to it and although I was going to build a different version I felt most of it would be repeating what he was doing, and he is an excellent model maker so I doubt I would be able to add anything of note.

So I have decided to go with the Meng Rolls Royce.

J5HHNuql.jpg

I couldn't decide on which version I wanted to build out of these two options.

WShzSOKl.jpg  TyBWqd6l.jpg

So I thought why not do them both. I know that the kit doesn't exactly provide the correct parts for the 1914 version but I have ordered the early turret from Friendship Models and hopefully I can make any other corrections.

Wayne

• Like 24

Everybody will produce their own interpretation in their build, so don't worry about building the same type as another modeller (or even the same vehicle).

Having said which, the Meng Rolls-Royce will make an interesting build to watch.

• Like 1

That's a really interesting model Wayne, I really do like this one. I'm beginning to like these cars more and more, so will look forward to following this. Out of the two I really like the option on the right, but I would not know how to do the camouflage. Whichever you go for, It will look great, all the best for the build...

Ed

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 13:28, edjbartos said:

Out of the two I really like the option on the right, but I would not know how to do the camouflage.

Me too Ed,

I get attracted to the more interesting paint schemes, they can be a challenge but are more rewarding when done. Also two of my latest and three of my current builds are olive green. :yawn:

Wayne

• Like 1

The Meng RR Armoured car has often been featured on modelling forums including this one, most notably the excellent build by @Andy Moore, so it will be difficult not to repeat what has done before especially as the build process itself is quite straight forward.

Therefore I have decided to skip the vehicle history and sprue shots and put more emphasis on my painting and weathering processes. 

The part count of the kit is quite low especially compared to Miniart and Gecko, and to be honest that's quite a relief. A demonstration of that is the construction of the chassis, which is where assembly begins. 

7ucrT5hh.jpg

Although it maybe a little simplified it really is all you need, The centre section being one piece means that there shouldn't be any issues with alignment. Judging by their B Type bus that I built last year Miniart would of made this chassis out of at least 50 separate parts. 

The front axle is moulded as one piece with the wheels straight ahead but I thought the model would look better with the wheels steering to one side a little.

This was simple enough. I just cut the hubs and arm off and glued them back on at a slight angle.

6rRnHtbl.jpg

I replaced the tie rod as I cut the original one a tad short.

vPeNh5zl.jpg

The end of the exhaust needs a little work to improve it's appearance...

9gniHdpl.jpg

so using the same method that Andy did on his build, I set about improving it. First I cut out a semi circular section using a bur in a rotary tool,

z87qcT7l.jpg

I then cut two semi circular pieces of plastic card and glued them in place leaving a smell gap between them. I then filled the join with some Tamiya filler.

idGcpEEl.jpg

This was then sanded to regain the shape and thin the edges of the plastic.

lPbz8zul.jpg

I then stippled some diluted putty over the entire exhaust to give it some texture. The end result maybe a little over scale but I feel it's a worthwhile modification.

I am finding it difficult to find photos of the exhaust outlet on the Pattern 1914 cars and I'm wondering if the fishtail was used then or was a latter addition for the Pattern 1920 cars.

quLzPeel.jpg

Once the exhaust and rear axle are added the chassis is complete. 

EfqVuK9h.jpg

Now I shall do it all over again for the second kit before moving on to the body work. 

Wayne

• Like 22

3 hours ago, Ted said:

That's a clever way to open the exhaust, thanks for showing the step by step in detail.

Wot Ted said. I'm keen to see how you go with this, one of these occupies a small corner of my kit accumulation. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

I thought the model would look better with the wheels steering to one side a little.

Fully agree and would like to do this with mine, but i am scared of getting floaters. Lets face it nobody likes a floater......

Great work btw Wayne.

George

On 04/11/2022 at 02:38, Ted said:

That's a clever way to open the exhaust, thanks for showing the step by step in detail.

On 04/11/2022 at 06:10, stevehnz said:

Wot Ted said. I'm keen to see how you go with this, one of these occupies a small corner of my kit accumulation. :)

Steve.

On 04/11/2022 at 07:53, edjbartos said:

I really like what you have done there Wayne, the exhaust looks great. The chassis looks great too , I wish my Miniart one would be a bit simpler...

Ed

On 04/11/2022 at 08:24, Geo1966 said:

Fully agree and would like to do this with mine, but i am scared of getting floaters. Lets face it nobody likes a floater......

Great work btw Wayne.

George

Thanks guys, I borrowed the idea but I couldn't really see any other way of doing it.

As regards to floaters George, you're right but it wouldn't be too difficult to remove an readjust. 🤞 

Wayne

• Like 1

The next phase of the build involves fitting the cabin floor and rear deck to the chassis, this is where I found the first snag. The fly wheel seems to prevent the cabin floor from sitting down properly onto the chassis rails.

At first I thought I may of made a mistake as I hadn't seen anyone else have this issue.

BBig0Hsl.jpg

I couldn't see any option apart from shaving off the top of the fly wheel.

2F99l0El.jpg

Once this was done the floors fitted nicely. I added some wood grain texture to the rear deck with course sand paper and the edge of a fine razor saw. 

7thXqBbl.jpg

I built up the second chassis and fitted the car bodies onto them.  The car bodies are a one piece moulding which speeds up the process

The panels that make up the mud guards were textured and added. 

pQjniqtl.jpg

Up to this point both models had been identical but I had reached the point where I had to make decisions about which subject I was going to model.

Looking at reference photos it seems that almost every vehicle had subtle differences. I guess there were different body builders plus field modifications.

It's hard to find enough photos of any particular vehicle to get the details exact so I decided to make them representative models of the type.

I also want the cars to look as different to each other as I can and to show the evolution of the type.

One of the first differences is the armoured plating around the fuel tank. On some of the earlier vehicles this has an angled back rather than the squared off one of the later ones.

4bZyE3jl.jpg

Some of these angled ones seem to be a little shallower and what appears to be a drain plug can be seen on the bottom of the fuel tank.

This isn't included on the kit tank so I scratched one from some sprue and punched out plastic discs.

A97ceI8l.jpg

There also seems to be quite a variety of storage boxes, or sometimes none at all, fitted to the underside of the rear mud guards.

Using one of the reference photos for ideas I made the boxes up from some plastic card and then added some wooden texture.

V88fQepl.jpg

The only other modification I made was to the support brackets. Meng's are depicted as a solid wooden piece whereas most of the early ones seem to be a metal strut, these were easy enough to make from some plastic strip.

5r7Sykdl.jpg

And here they are side by side for comparison. The 1914 car is on the left.

snln0Gyl.jpg

There's a bit of tidying up to do on what I have done so far and then I shall carry on with the upper stowage boxes and work on the front end.

Wayne

• Like 25

You're off to a flyer Wayne. Rapid progress on not one, but two builds!

Look forward to seeing them in the RFI at the end of the month 😆

Keep up the great work!

George

• Like 1