Here's my entry, ticking the prototype, research & record breakers boxes :)

IMG20221030105912

Wasn't expecting to find resin in the box, so that's a bonus.

Would have started sooner, but covid's really done a number on me.  No Telford this year for me :(

• Like 10

Ok making a start. First step, remove the resin cockpit tub from the casting block.....

1 hour later

Ok, it's now removed from the block with a large hole in the floor and a cracked side. Filler time.

On a scale of 1-10 difficulty, I'd rate it "utter barsteward".   Especially when I'm planning on building it 1:72 canopy closed !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IanHx said:

On the plus side, found a great page on t'interweb to see what the cockpit is supposed to look like

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/S_tour/S-6.html

Those are great aren't they. Though be forewarned the NMUSAF hasn't the best history with the accuracy of their restorations. I usually double down and look for a period photo to confirm that the colors at least come close. 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Those are great aren't they. Though be forewarned the NMUSAF hasn't the best history with the accuracy of their restorations. I usually double down and look for a period photo to confirm that the colors at least come close. 

As a practical matter, the kit comes with painted photo-etch, so some of the cockpit colours have already been decided for me.

• Like 1

Still working on the ejection seat....  there's at least 15 fiddly resin & painted photoetch pieces to it !

(  Did I mention that the kit came not only with resin parts, but painted photo etch ?  :)   )

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, on to the next gotcha....

The upper dorsal fin :  at first I thought it was just being needlessly complicated, but then closer inspection of photos shows that the sides do not sit flush but are open at the back.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz5DKbcPQeO0U57wDvcqR

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Seems good references are essential to get the best out of this kit Ian.

...  and good eyesight / dexterity...  well, better than mine at any rate !

There were a few other PE parts I didn't get round to using - cockpit levers -  on the grounds that they were just too small and fiddly, and there was zero chance of them not pinging out of the tweezers and onto the carpet.  Plus, closed canopy build....

• Like 1

On a related note - is there a good way to remove resin parts from the casting blocks ?

I feel my usual technique of blunt craft knife and copious amounts of time and swearing is not the most effective......  :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanHx said:

On a related note - is there a good way to remove resin parts from the casting blocks ?

I feel my usual technique of blunt craft knife and copious amounts of time and swearing is not the most effective......  :)

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

A good razor saw should do the job.  I've just bought some nice ones from Hannants - a Czech source I think.

A good saw as Graham suggests, I also put a trap in the sink to catch any tiny bits as I cut the resin under running water. It keeps the dust from going airborne. Better for your health in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Finally ventured back to this.

All I can say is that the transport dolly at the back has come straight from Satan's own drawing board !

So much so, that I'm now giving serious thought to doing it "wheels up and in flight".

It's either that or hang it under a 1:72  B-52.........   :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, IanHx said:

Finally ventured back to this.

All I can say is that the transport dolly at the back has come straight from Satan's own drawing board !

So much so, that I'm now giving serious thought to doing it "wheels up and in flight".

It's either that or hang it under a 1:72  B-52.........   :)

Either option will be excellent Ian.