1/72 R.A.A.F Beaufighter 31SQN Pistol Packin Mama

Hello all,

Here is one that I finished last week that I finally got around to getting some photos of before it gets too dusty. It is the Airfix kit in the colours of a 31 Squadron R.A.A.F Mk X machine based at Coomalie Creek in the Northern Territory. This aircraft was lost on 24/09/44 after running out of fuel after it was unable to locate the airfield due to bushfire haze. The Navigator was found the following day but unfortunately the pilot was killed.

According to the DK Decal sheet this aircraft is painted in TSS camouflage, however other sources state that the last batch of Mk Xs and XIs were painted all over EDSG on Sky so that's what I went with.

I also painted the roundels and fin flashes which worked out better than I hoped, except when I painted the lower LH wing roundel too far inboard resulting in some stripping and re-painting. I thought about cutting masks for the SQN codes, but I'm not that handy with a scalpel and Tamiya tape. I've put a stencil cutter on the Christmas list. All photos were taken using my phone, so apologies for any blurriness.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One of the pilots in 30 SQN played Australian Rules Football for the Richmond Football Club in the Victorian Football League (now Australian Football League). Richmond is also known as the Tigers and the pilot painted a Tigers head on the nose of his aircraft. The Tigers head and motto 'Eat 'em Alive' also found its way onto 31 SQN aircraft due to a keen Richmond supporter in the unit, with multiple aircraft displaying the Tigers heads.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here it is with another one I completed about 18 months ago.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

On 30/10/2022 at 07:33, Jay Gee said:

Hello all,

Here is one that I finished last week that I finally got around to getting some photos of before it gets too dusty. It is the Airfix kit in the colours of a 31 Squadron R.A.A.F Mk X machine based at Coomalie Creek in the Northern Territory. This aircraft was lost on 24/09/44 after running out of fuel after it was unable to locate the airfield due to bushfire haze. The Navigator was found the following day but unfortunately the pilot was killed.

According to the DK Decal sheet this aircraft is painted in TSS camouflage, however other sources state that the last batch of Mk Xs and XIs were painted all over EDSG on Sky so that's what I went with.

I also painted the roundels and fin flashes which worked out better than I hoped, except when I painted the lower LH wing roundel too far inboard resulting in some stripping and re-painting. I thought about cutting masks for the SQN codes, but I'm not that handy with a scalpel and Tamiya tape. I've put a stencil cutter on the Christmas list. All photos were taken using my phone, so apologies for any blurriness.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One of the pilots in 30 SQN played Australian Rules Football for the Richmond Football Club in the Victorian Football League (now Australian Football League). Richmond is also known as the Tigers and the pilot painted a Tigers head on the nose of his aircraft. The Tigers head and motto 'Eat 'em Alive' also found its way onto 31 SQN aircraft due to a keen Richmond supporter in the unit, with multiple aircraft displaying the Tigers heads.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here it is with another one I completed about 18 months ago.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Nice, well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1