Been in a modelling slump as of late, but had the sudden idea of a build while thinking about the thread title and Race 80.

Silver Girty!

spacer.png

I have the Hasegawa/Revell Mk IX incoming by about mid-week,

spacer.png

Despite the cover art, looking at reviews shows the pointed rudder and the round exhausts as alternate parts. That, along with Eduard masks and belts, Barracuda 4-spoke treaded wheels and the Draw decals.

For paint, I'm going to try Green Stuff World's Chrome metal, as looking at reviews it should come up with a nice, shiny finish. (hopefully!) If that work good, I'll then use it when I redo Dottie Mae.

As for work, it looks like I'll have to clean the wings up some, as there are too many lumps and bumps, but that'll be alright, esp as it already has the gear bulge, so that's one less thing to add. In the 'pit I'll see about making some little touch screens for the center panel, seeing as these were/are on the plane. I think just some tiny rectangles of clear plastic with their backs painted black should work alright.

spacer.png

(looks like I'll have to see about padding that seat too...)

Probably another week before I can get started, but them's the plans!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to note with regards to the seat/bulkhead:

y4mtd_hrxexKIuOZHsDmeb1IROOkDro_lrR_rnva

Rear fuselage tank & filler:

y4mt9psnVvHHdCEUf5JvRVgkPus3Hz8ha9p8DJ74

Scissor links, radiator detail & extra vents in wing root

y4m756GCnu7oWdoa-wuaTlxN8g7bGSZXBTtQi89Z

Oh and this is one Spitfire where you can safely paint the crowbar red :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for those pics @alt-92. Will come in handy. The model itself has arrived, though now I am awaiting interior PE and some resin goodles. But I see no reason not to get started soon, at least I can start with the gear and wells and other smaller items.

Soon!

• Like 2

Okay, so the kit is here (and has been for about two weeks...), the decals are here, as well as all the PE, the new resin wheels, some more resin goodies from Quickboost and the paint masks.

As mentioned, this is the Hasegawa in a Revell box.

spacer.png

Draw Decals

spacer.png

Cockpit PE and assorted resin blobs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And so, I'm starting with the first goof! Not taking a pic of the busy starboard interior!😩

Which almost all had to go. Looking at pics of Girty, the interior panels, at last above the horizontal frame are pretty sparse. I started with trying to scrape and sand out the misc wires and boxed between the vertical frames - and the decided to just chuck it and sand it all out!

I left the details down below, figuring that the clutter below the horizontal frame will keep things busy down there and may not be too clearly seen around the seat.

Before sanding off the detail, I made some black marks on the sill show where the new styrene vertical frames will go.

spacer.png

And those in place.

spacer.png

So, not a big start, but it's a start! I'll neaten the tops of the styrene frames and put a horizontal sill along the top, then I'll start using the pics of the actual plane to begin putting some details back in.

Model on!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 7

• Thom216 changed the title to Silver Girty - the Longest Flight

A start has been made! Yay :yahoo: 

Given the reports of a shallow rear fuselage in the Hasegawa kit it may be worth measuring the main insignia to check it fits there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see it here and underway,  is it the Hasegawa kit that has the engine cowling that is very short too?

Chris

:shocked:

Not that I have noticed! The nose doesn't look short, and since I've already started that just may have to be good enough. 😁

As Derek from Vise Grip Garage would say, "I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see that."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

:shocked:

Not that I have noticed! The nose doesn't look short, and since I've already started that just may have to be good enough. 😁

As Derek from Vise Grip Garage would say, "I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see that."

No worries,  I built a Hasegawa Mk.IX a few years ago and compared to the ICM  model of the same it looks like they used the Mk.V fuselage and put six stack exhausts in.  When compared to the Airfix Vb parked next to it in my display the nose is the same length.  I wondered incase they had corrected their tooling.

Chris

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

No worries,  I built a Hasegawa Mk.IX a few years ago and compared to the ICM  model of the same it looks like they used the Mk.V fuselage and put six stack exhausts in.  When compared to the Airfix Vb parked next to it in my display the nose is the same length.  I wondered incase they had corrected their tooling.

Chris

When I get home, I'll compare it some other Spits in the stash, and see how she measures out.

• Like 1

Looking good so far old fruit :thumbsup:.

I've built both the Hasegawa https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235072493-revell-hasegawa-spitfire-ix-in-148th-scalefinished/ and the ICM https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073586-icm-spitfire-ix-in-148th-scalefinished/ .

The thing with the Hasegawa fuselage is quite noticeable in a line up of Spitfires.This piccie is the Hasegawa above and the ICM below.

JonZupy.jpg

The difference in the length isn't just in one place,the rear fuselage needs a stretch along its whole length,the cockpit section is fractionally short,the fuel tank section is short and the engine area is also short so a single cut and shut won't do the job.I believe the wing is about right though.

Good luck with the metal finish,it's going to be fun to replicate.I'm experimenting with Chrome Paint Pens at the moment which,with a little subterfuge,can be decanted into the airbrush cup for spraying and can be found for not a huge expense,for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/chrome-paint-pen/s?k=chrome+paint+pen&s=price-asc-rank&qid=1669060536&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank&ds=v1%3AQIvY8P4EeOB7vHgCHsZtg9afYHJfHcM3vE3wVwcaEH4 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am still working on it, honest!😄

As proof, a pic of some bits-n-bobs going in. As you can see, the IP panel has been sanded flat in prep for the PE. I also used a dremel to thin the plastic where the PE will sit, as it is meant for another kit and is slightly wider than the kit part. And since I need the frame to be in place in order to help set the cables, the PE will be going in just before the fuselage is joined up. Other things to do is to drill out some lightening holes - and see about fabbing a gas tank!

spacer.png

Model on!

• Like 7

A bit more of an update. I got some more plumbing done, as well as adding some PE. Don't look too close, cause it is a little messy...

spacer.png

As it's going, that's all of the kit parts that will be put in place for now. A test showed that I can raise the cockpit floor up from underneath once the fuselage is all together, which will help seeing as the front firewall/IP is a little cockeyed... Once the halves are together, I'll need to clamp the left side of the firewall to the left half of the fuselage to straighten that.

Then I sized up the left fuse side and its door, and the PE blade that will excise it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Which came out pretty easy!

spacer.png

To replace it is the Ultracast resin door.

spacer.png

Size-wise, it's good side to side, but a little tall for the opening. But in the open position, whose gonna know...?

spacer.png

It'll need to lay down a little more, but I can work on that.

And all for today!

Model on!

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Thom216 said:

spacer.png

It'll need to lay down a little more, but I can work on that.

You do know the door is on upside down there, yes?

• Haha 2

Noticed something?

spacer.png

How 'bout now..?

spacer.png

Yeah, is a little bent! Will have to be carefull gluing the halves together, and maybe use a little hot water technique to get that straightened out. She's not going to fly good that way. No, sir.

But that's for later. Here's another peak into the 'pit, this time the left side. The white square is a prominent metal panel in the cockpit pic of the real plane and the leather pouch has been recreated with Tamiya tape. What I think is a light is secured to the upper edge of the coaming (same as on the starboard) with a power lead going down and disappearing behind a trim wheel that was stolen from a P-47 PE set. The throttle quadrant, replacing the kit piece that looks nothing like the actual hardware was substituted with one taken from an Airfix Fr47. Beneath that is a cobbled together rendition of a modern electronics panel, suing re-situated kit parts, some snipped for shape and some blank styrene.

I will be added a bit more, before I finally start on making the rear fuel tank.

spacer.png

Model on!

• Like 3

And calling the sides done!

spacer.png

spacer.png

And with those out of the way, I'm starting quick and dirty on the tank. Figuring not much will be seen but the top, It's not going to be exact, but close.:wink:

That will then be skinned and shaped a bit.

spacer.png

Model on!

• Like 9