Bachmann Class 37

My new Bachmann Class 37 has arrived!  :yahoo:

spacer.png

It's a beautiful model...  The cab interior is very well detailed and the various placards are perfectly legible.   It does however cry out for a crew.  The Modelu sets for the Accurascale Deltic would look excellent. 

spacer.png

Yes, this fan does rotate.  Although it's not powered - at least not on the variant I bought.

spacer.png

You can see in through the window into the engine room.  There is a placard on the engine that is again perfectly legible. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

I do have a question though....  Why?  

Why have Bachmann released a completely new tool model when their previous model was so good.   Especially in light of the fact that Accurascale will also shortly be releasing a new tool Class 37.

This is the new tool model displayed with the previous release.

spacer.png

The split headcode variant is my favourite.  Can you tell?  :)

spacer.png

• Like 4

Sam's Trains on Youtube did an excellent review of this model.  Sam was also puzzled about the release and also discusses the price of this model.   I didn't pay full RRP for it either.

Sam's model is in the BR Large Logo livery.  It's still a nice model but to my eyes there is far too much yellow.  The model cries out for a lot of weathering.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I do have a question though....  Why?  

Why have Bachmann released a completely new tool model when their previous model was so good.   Especially in light of the fact that Accurascale will also shortly be releasing a new tool Class 37.

I suspect you've hit the nail on head with the last part of your sentence, Accurascale coming along was going to have a big impact on Bachmann's sales of 37s.  We'll have to wait and see what the Accurascale ones are like (I have two on order) but from what we've seen so far they look like they will be better than even the retooled Bachmann and will be better value for money, Bachmann's RRPs are getting ridiculous even in these days of ever more expensive models...

Split headcode variants will dominate my layout as a lot of them went to Thornaby and that shed provided most of the 37s that ran to Consett.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Enzo, I was just about to add to this, will you be weathering it?

I certainly will.   I cannot ever recall seeing a corporate blue Class 37 in anything other than a filthy condition.    The real ones were nice and clean when brand new but given the amount of filth that they spewed out, that clean condition lasted about 90 seconds... :lol: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

Now if only I had a layout ....

I keep telling myself that I will set mine up again.   It is carefully dismantled and stored in the loft and has been for quite some time.  :shrug:    I have about a dozen locos that have never been run on a proper layout.   Run in on an oval of track...?  Yes.  But not properly run on a layout.  It's a crime.  :fraidnot:  

There were two 'Tractors' sat idling at Carlisle station when I walked past yesterday, I think they were standing in for a broken-down steam engine. I knew they were there just by the distinctive sound 

🚜🚜🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

I dread to think what the RRP for a new Bachmann loco is these days. All I know is I'll never complain about the price of Tamiya kits!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I dread to think what the RRP for a new Bachmann loco is these days. All I know is I'll never complain about the price of Tamiya kits!

The new tooled DCC Sound fitted 37 has an RRP from £355 - £375 depending on the exact spec you go for 😲

Compare that to the Accurascale 37s which are due in the next few months, the two I ordered are £260 each for DCC sound fitted...

I always wonder how Accurascale and Oxford rail can produce perfectly good models (and of more flavours for the Accurascale models) for a significantly cheaper price than the big two. Not like either companies are running the risk of going bankrupt (looking at you Hornby) and although their reach is lower, they’re not alienating their market or the retailers with their demands. 

That said, railway modelling is no longer a kids hobby or has an easy way to introduce them in to it. When the cheapest new loco goes for £45+ before you start on track etc, you have to worry for the hobby...

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 1