2 x Daimler Dingo S-Models/DanTaylor

I've been subconsciously picking up armoured car kits ever since I saw this group build so we are going to build a scout car, that counts right?

So we have an S-Model Daimler Dingo Mk.Ia Scout car kit (contains two kits but for this we will only be building one) and combine that with a Daimler Dingo detail set from Dan Taylor Modelworks. I have picked up quite a few of Dan's conversion kits but never actually got round to one yet.

PXL_20221029_153238878.jpg

Two kits side by side, will only build one, will see how it goes with the conversion kit but I may get another to build a different Mk.

PXL_20221029_153337215.jpg

PXL_20221029_153404792.jpg

PXL_20221029_153410940.jpg

PXL_20221029_153423269.jpg

PXL_20221029_153442516.jpg

PXL_20221029_153451162.jpg

PXL_20221029_153524177.jpg

PXL_20221029_153533475.jpg

A fairly straight fwd build, however it is lacking an interior for a start, which is where Dan's kit comes in.

PXL_20221029_153625687.jpg

PXL_20221029_153708757.jpg

PXL_20221029_153728607.jpg

Dans conversion comes with a very detailed guide, with tips on using both the S-model and the Matchbox/Revell kit to make different Mks. 

Hopefully a straightforward satisfying little project.

I may try and build this a 51st Highland Division vehicle assuming I have the right decals somewhere in the stash, Fife and Forfar Yeomanry maybe...research needed.

• Like 14

I have used some of Dan's stuff myself and always found it pretty good and he was very helpful when I had a problem once. I built the Matchbox Dingo as part of the "Monty's Caravan" kit and it is very small so best of luck with the detailing!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

A few lazy hours work on a Saturday night.

PXL_20221030_175430761.jpg

Actually this one wont be so straightforward and one to take my time on, spent a fair bit of time thinking about the painting of any sub assemblies and build order. I think I will paint the interior floor separate.

The commanders chair has a casting defect but should be easy enough to fix.

What colour would the interior be, I haven't even decided on the external scheme either.

The drivers plate has a fair bit of detail in PE, which is fine with a magnifier. Although I'm not a fan of gluing PE to PE. I'm building the weapons port open for the kit supplied Bren.

• Like 11

Got some more work done on this.

PXL_20221103_232725828.jpg

I've added all the photo etch view ports this is the first time I've used a dab of Tamiya super thin on the surface to hold the photo etch in place. The super thin is quite aggressive on the plastic this kit is cast from and nudging the PE into position can start to dig into the plastic. I've added some plasticard shim to the leading edges of the side visors as the PE drivers plate is thinner than the kit part.

Also fixed the commander seat with a small piece of rod. Not seen above but I've filled some voids under the front fenders/storage.

The roof has been reworked so it can be displayed as open I've added the two padded parts and also a handle, the pic above also shows the quite nice s-model Bren gun. I'm still not sure on the scheme as I am leaning towards a North African vehicle. My 51st HD decals will need to wait. I will paint the various visible interior parts so I can move to assembly.

I've been thinking about adding the second kit to this build and doing it as a captured German scheme, closed up of course. The German boxing of this kit comes with a very nice sprue with a couple of MG34s and MP40s, that boxing might be the better deal although it wouldn't surprise me if s-model removes the Bren from those kits.  But as I don't have the German boxing I'm going to see if I can source a 1/72 MG34, I think I have one but need to dig around.

• Like 10

Ok this entry has just doubled will build a second closed up dingo in German colours, some of the additional storage parts in the DTM kit can be used on this second model.

PXL_20221104_222045863.jpg

Instead of a Bren the German version will be armed with an MG34 I have the Dragon sprue below for that.

PXL_20221104_222059959.jpg

• Like 8

• sardaukar changed the title to 2 x Daimler Dingo S-Models/DanTaylor
9 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

The captured version will make an interesting contrast, wonder what else, beside the MG34 will make it onto that build,

Or is it a MG42? A Stahlhelm and an Mp40 might make it on too but lets see.

• Like 1

Having decided to do a German Dingo I decided to build it out first and that way I should make any mistakes on it first :). I managed to glue the rear fenders on the wrong way round, I only realised when I was thinking about carving off the rear detail to fit the resin storage bins. The British Dingo will get the alternative PE storage. There is two sets of flimsys one of a set of two and one of a set of three.

The MG34 or 42? Will fit in the weapons port. There is nothing quite like a high res phot to spot some imperfections. 

PXL_20221105_233722983.jpg

A close up of the MG assembled, I've had to glue the bipod back on twice already, so it will probably be well glued in place.

PXL_20221105_232515550.jpg

• Like 8

On my Wehrmacht Dingo. You wouldnt believe how fiddly it was to get this MG to actually sit in place long enough to get glued. I was going to paint it separate but its not like you will see anything that isnt gun metal so fitted before painting.

1667860918729907-2.png

Meanwhile on the British Dingo, still in bits.

1667860929387742-1.png

I'm painting the interior Portland stone after a brush prime of Mr surface 1200, I tried to brush the Model Air Portland stone but it looked terrible so the airbrush came out.

Steering wheel still on the sprue for now, it will go on once I've painted the dash.

1667860936328933-0.png

The interior, those holes did not look obvious at all until the portland stone went on, I thought the MR surfacer would've taken care of most of anything like that. The drivers seat will be painted brown which might hide the holes there but a wash may make them even more obvious :hmmm:.

Oh and I haven't added a gear stick yet....

• Like 8

Managed some work tonight after a busy weekend where I made it to Telford, where I actually spent a lot less than I thought I would. I got some PE sets for various projects and also bought a couple of Abteilung 502 oil sets and I probably still wont have some of the colours I need :). No new kits although I regret not buying an Armoury Shilka, nevermind. 

1668553206380734-0.png

Im going to use this storage on the British Dingo, will need a few interesting bits to put in it, not a lot of room actually, the kit does come with an Enfield rifle and I'll find some resin bits from my stowage stash.

1668553112630975-0.png

Inspecting what pics I could find and the instructions for the 1/35 kits I decided I needed some lenses on those tail light mounts. There was a second mount in the lower outside corner of the rear fenders which I didnt see in any reference pics so I've shaved them off.

The lenses I added by shaving off a couple of rivets from a 40k Cullen hedge cutter thingy pictured, was maybe from a Chimera originally and then glued them onto the mounts. I did used to enjoy buying peoples bits boxes on ebay for warhammer stuff and still have a few bags full. Stuff like that often gets very expensive these days. I do have enough bits for a Rogue Trader Plastic Rhino but a project for another day.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Took a bit of a break on the dinky dingos, but got some work done tonight.

The main part of the British dingo to still complete was the open hatch.

I doubled up the PE part  that holds the open hatch in place as I wont be using it on the German version. This was a royal pain to superglue in place along with the hatch. I used some VMS Flexy superglue that I can recommend. I dislike buying expensive glues if you end up not being able to use them all but lets see with the VMS.

PXL_20221128_235315564.jpg

PXL_20221128_235325208.jpg

Next I started to get the stowage sorted out for both models.

First up we have the Bren with PE bipod that will be the British Dingo's main weapon. It will get two sets of 3 flimses with the photo etch trays from the DTM parts. Also a shovel, Enfield and Brodie helmet from the Dingo kit. Along with a few bits from the resin stash.

PXL_20221128_233959516.jpg

The second set of flimsies will go on the German machine, along with a spare German shovel from a panzer 1 kit. The MP40 came from the same sprue as the MG and some resin stowage.

PXL_20221128_234006020.jpg

Painting to come.

Cheers

Calum

• Like 9

18 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's interesting to see these subtle (but obviously important), differences :thumbsup2:

Well they should end up as different colours, although with my usual washes they may end up being very similar in colour.

PXL_20221202_003230289.jpg

quick update, everything primed and ready for colour.

• Like 10

I do like the look of these, I'm another who had a Dinky Dingo, though I think they were just referred to as scout cars.  I could easily be tempted by one of these, at that scale, an interior of a basic kind should be doable. They were hardly an ergonomic triumph in their layout I reckon.

Steve.

• Like 1