Sd. Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvierling.

On 06/11/2022 at 13:02, Stef N. said:

The next five stages look a bit tougher, engines, wheels, winch etc. so I may make you glad you didn't get one.😀

It is a shame, that in kit form, unlike the Trumpeter kit, the front wheels do not articulate.  Saying that if you were building the Trumpy kit you would still be a week off starting on the front wheels!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kelscale said:

It is a shame, that in kit form, unlike the Trumpeter kit, the front wheels do not articulate.  Saying that if you were building the Trumpy kit you would still be a week off starting on the front wheels!

Looking at Trevor's build and I was taken a back at how complicated it was compared to even a Dragon one. It looks good though and they have some Famo variants coming out. So more money may be leaving my account. 😀

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit behind where I'd like to have been. Distractions like the World Cup and a broken boiler have taken up too much of my time. Anyway, I have got the bulk of the bottom half done and given an undercoat of Mr Hobby 40, German Grey. This is a nice paint, quite dark and with a satin sheen. I will be using this again that's for sure. Next will be lighter shades and a touch of weathering. The engine was Tamiya LP5 Semi-Gloss Black. This will get some aluminium etc hand painted additions and a bit of grime. Seats to be painted a black leather/vinyl type shade, I think.

p?i=390218ef15beae6c870f381deb605ded

p?i=4bf7c35e8ce3293d0b82229878790ae8

p?i=382355c76444db615d659f4e19bbdb57

Cheers all.👍

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

That looks very nice Stef,  I do like the paint finish on this, I have never tried Mr Hobby before, is it similar to Tamiya paints?

Ed

Yes, very similar. Mr Color is lacquer based so a bit potent, but sprays brilliantly. 

• Thanks 1

I've never found a better combo than Mr Color with their Leveling Thinner - very smooth and hard wearing. It's only the stink that means I tend to stick to Tamiya these days.

Nice progress Stef, despite the footie/boiler! 😀  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I managed to get something done. The base is mostly assembled and painted, just needs some extra weathering, highlighting etc. Using Mr Color German Grey, Dunkelgrau and my own mix for lighter tones. Wheels painted with Tamiya Rubber Black and given a satin coat. Metals on engine painted using Mr Metal Color, which is great for hand painting.

p?i=8f06637a4ff86c5be6d21142134e9777

p?i=92444624251c566c26896d5326eeedb4

p?i=34cb3874be20ac5543a4a41f17f5c334

Magic tracks done, just need some paint. They fit together well and easily but do need a bit of cleaning up, two ejector marks per track for example.

p?i=99a6a5154fc1478de76f98300c60eadb

Cheers all and enjoy the snow, if you get it.😬😀

• Like 23

30 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

Thanks for the heads up on the magic tracks, as haven’t done themselves and was wondering as had heard a mix of reviews about them but they look good here! 

Cheers guys. 👍

The pros outweigh the cons concerning the tracks and with a soft plastic, cleaning up is easy. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

That's looking great Stef, the subtle greys and being so clean makes it look like a museum piece.

Cheers Bob. A factory fresh finish would be nice but I can't help myself dirtying it up. Not too much..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Bob. A factory fresh finish would be nice but I can't help myself dirtying it up. Not too much..... 

I have photos of factory fresh vehicles ready for delivery and have thought about making a model like that, the start of a story...

Perhaps one day.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

That's looking really good Stef, the engine especially. Are you going to dirty it up a bit, or go for the Admin Parade look?

John.

Cheers John. I think I will go with a bit of dirt and grime just to add a bit more interest. I may change my mind but will see how it goes. 👍

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 22:41, Stef N. said:

I managed to get something done. The base is mostly assembled and painted, just needs some extra weathering, highlighting etc. Using Mr Color German Grey, Dunkelgrau and my own mix for lighter tones. Wheels painted with Tamiya Rubber Black and given a satin coat. Metals on engine painted using Mr Metal Color, which is great for hand painting.

p?i=8f06637a4ff86c5be6d21142134e9777

p?i=92444624251c566c26896d5326eeedb4

p?i=34cb3874be20ac5543a4a41f17f5c334

Magic tracks done, just need some paint. They fit together well and easily but do need a bit of cleaning up, two ejector marks per track for example.

p?i=99a6a5154fc1478de76f98300c60eadb

Cheers all and enjoy the snow, if you get it.😬😀

Hello Stef

Congratulations on the skilful painting.
A fabulous surface - you can put up with the smell of the paint 😁

• Thanks 1

Tracks painted and installed. I feel they are about a half a track too much so there's not a lot I can do and will have to settle for a little sag. I tried some new product, an acrylic wash that I saw on @SimonL's Sherman build and it works a treat. Very easy to work with and dries quickly but not too quickly.

p?i=cd07782cf6f166cad5f4e6be14877387

With a hint of weathering, just enough at the moment so I can put the lid on. The final weathering will be done at the end which will be needed as it is rather flat at the moment, imo.

p?i=10c870f4f4d634c66164f2c9a92cdbe7

These are the products that finally get here after being stuck in the mail for a short time. The Model Wash and some dials, thanks to @edjbartos👍

p?i=92327a999ca6a8e08afa6c9f6e69d13dp?i=ae410a39839f5a947af117b4238d0da7

• Like 10

Looking absolutely tremendous Stef, never tried any of the Mr Color paints but you're definitely making a good case for them.

The chassis with tracks is real inspirational stuff!

Guess it'll be spot the Altimeter and artificial horizon decals in future AFV builds then.....

Brilliant work Stef. :like:

Atb

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1