Sd. Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvierling.

Progress looks good. Excellent subject imho; a favourite combination of ordnance and vehicle. In my experience, Dragon kits have more parts than Burson's auto spares department, ensuring extensive detail. The mould quality is terrific, too.

But does the Sd.Kfz.7/1 really qualify as a halftrack? It's clearly a 3/4 track 🤓

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Indeed, adds more interest to an already busy subject.

Stuart

It's busier than I thought at first. But with an engine detail set on its way, some barrels and I saw a well priced* etched shield set I am adding more to the workload. D'oh!!😳😀

(*Has anyone used Griffon products before?)

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

It's busier than I thought at first. But with an engine detail set on its way, some barrels and I saw a well priced* etched shield set I am adding more to the workload. D'oh!!😳😀

(*Has anyone used Griffon products before?)

I think you're really getting hooked on this etch detail lark Stef, another winner on the cards I hope!

Can't say I'm familiar with Griffon though. 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

I think you're really getting hooked on this etch detail lark Stef, another winner on the cards I hope!

Can't say I'm familiar with Griffon though. 

Darryl 

I used to hate it but etched has won me around. My intentions of an OOTB build didn't last very long though. 

Slowly getting through the chassis. Most of the components are built and should get a base coat this weekend. A bit of cleaning up to do on a couple of items but other than that, good to go.

I've come across a couple more vague instructions. This is easier to get into place from the underside of the chassis, a little bit of jiggling and the two front struts need a bit of thinning down for ease.

p?i=9088ffeb673bf35909595939d2b50eb8

p?i=bc2c4450bb02cba4d7b42c0a619107c4

I thought Dragon had defeated me with this small part, B1, but it turns out that the part was bent in transit and that was the reason I couldn't fit the part. That induced a bit of anger. This post helped me out. Cheers IPMSUSA.👍

https://ipmsusa.org/reviews2/mil-veh/kits/dragon_35_sdkfz7-flak4/dragon_35_sdkfz7-flak4.htm

The red arrow highlights the part that was bent. It should be straight like this.

p?i=9aef802358ae09b09ac27de367af85ab

Finally, the chassis and components, dry fitted, and nearly ready for the paint station.

p?i=586d5573cd0dba0a2f39091071c49b77

Cheers all.👍

Just to add, there are two locating pins for the engine. I removed one so as to make sure I can get the engine in and out for paint.

• Like 17

The last time I bought cheap etched brass off Historex it turned out to be mostly unusable. This time I was luckier and got some very good Griffon brand stuff. Very nice to use and decent enough instructions. Trevor's link has been of brilliant use too.👍

Anyway, I didn't get to paint as I spent many hours blinging the engine up. I haven't used the whole set as a lot would have been too small to notice so I did the major upgrades.

p?i=6017dfd247edd1f2eb6164e3802d422d

p?i=aa6481832113fb007704c0e8f38e35c8

I also got the numerous wheels cleaned and prepped and have been trying to decide whether to add some cable to the winch. It won't be seen and would be a waste of product, but still.....

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Wowzers the engine looks great! All that bling and detail add so much definition. 

Cheers guys. The kit came with some nice movable side panels so I thought it would be good to be able to show the engine off. 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stef N. said:

The last time I bought cheap etched brass off Historex it turned out to be mostly unusable. This time I was luckier and got some very good Griffon brand stuff. Very nice to use and decent enough instructions. Trevor's link has been of brilliant use too.👍

Anyway, I didn't get to paint as I spent many hours blinging the engine up. I haven't used the whole set as a lot would have been too small to notice so I did the major upgrades.

p?i=6017dfd247edd1f2eb6164e3802d422d

p?i=aa6481832113fb007704c0e8f38e35c8

I also got the numerous wheels cleaned and prepped and have been trying to decide whether to add some cable to the winch. It won't be seen and would be a waste of product, but still.....

Beautiful engine!
I wish Dragon would have given my M3 more details 🤓

• Thanks 1

One of those frustrating sessions where I spent over an hour dry-fitting the engine and radiator parts, knocking bits off, chopping other bits and a bit of foul-mouthing. Glad I did dry-fit though as I want to paint the engine separately would not have gone in if I had followed the instructions. The two pins holding the engine have to go and the one from the gearbox has to shaved in half. The large air filters on the side need to be left off until the end and the exhaust shield needed moving. Other than those it fitted like a glove.😬

p?i=1b19a0c10607e7a55ccf3ad2537a89d7

I made a little cable holder bracket from plasticard and some scrap etched. It's not that accurate but near enough. The cable from Karaya is very nice to work with. 0.5mm looked to scale so a good length of that got used.

p?i=5125613f72789f10cab0a9f40ecf73e4

Cheers everyone.👍

• Like 14

Super clean build as usual Stef 👏

Well done getting the engine in. I sometimes get the feeling that nobody has actually done a test build of the kit before manufactures put them on sale.

George

Edited by Geo1966
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant Stef, absolutely topnotch modelling mate, you're really knocking them out of the park these days. :like:

Never tried Karaya cable, I assume its copper cable and available in various diameters?

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Super clean build as usual Stef 👏

Well done getting the engine in. I sometimes get the feeling that nobody has actually done a test build of the kit before manufactures put them on sale.

George

It sure feels like that. There was no way that was going in or coming out, without breaking things, following their suggestions. 

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Brilliant Stef, absolutely topnotch modelling mate, you're really knocking them out of the park these days. :like:

Never tried Karaya cable, I assume its copper cable and available in various diameters?

Atb

Darryl 

Karaya from Hannants and Eureka from Wildcats. Both do various sizes from 0.4 upwards. Nice stuff and saves a bit of faffing about. 

Cheers guys. 👍

• Thanks 2