Sd. Kfz. 7/1 2cm Flakvierling.

My entry will be the Dragon 7/1. It arrived the other day and looks to be a very nice kit. It comes with proper rubber wheels rather than the DS ones. I may change them still because the weighted ones add that little extra. 

I also got the Nuts and Bolts book from Historex but recommendations of other additions to the library will be appreciated. 

Due to a house move I currently don't have the internet set up so this will be a place holder. Once set up I will get some photos sorted out. Technology, Schmecnology. 😀

By next week I will have started this properly with decent updates. Hopefully. 

• Like 8

Good evening fellow GBers. I can finally start this properly now that I am reasonably settled and have everything unpacked. The kit seems frugal by Dragon standards. I can even repack the box without having to leave bits out. But it looks nice and clean, well detailed and they must have had so many complaints about DS rubber that I have vinyl ones. I will have to check the tread to see if it viable, but they look good. Anyway, a few sprue shots to get this build thread started.

p?i=73b9cd9749f0d99a2cf94e28ba5f9b27

p?i=6e8ad7f60dbf6dd69acb6be1464be119

p?i=d0af82284a3fbdf716943f466a371f9d

p?i=bbf0c7fdb4a6cc4b336bf5385fc9d79e

Knife, glue, files and sundries are ready and waiting. Cheers all.👍

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, Trevor L said:

Good stuff.

I'm jealous of the loose bagged track parts. Mine are on sprues so they'll need cutting and trimming 😒

Probably the most tedious job in modelling. Putting them together is fine but cleaning.....😬

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this builds up Stef, it looks great...

Ed

It looks simple and straightforward enough, not overly fussy and should be a fun build. Just what I need.👍

• Like 1

On 29/10/2022 at 13:51, Stef N. said:

My entry will be the Dragon 7/1. It arrived the other day and looks to be a very nice kit. It comes with proper rubber wheels rather than the DS ones. I may change them still because the weighted ones add that little extra. 

That's a really nice looking kit Stef, I built the old Tamiya one and still have a couple of them and the Trumpeter kit in the stash so looking forward to your build.  Still not sure why they make the tyres from softer material like vinyl, it's usually a pain to paint.  As for weighted front tyres, I have looked at a lot of photos of half-tracks for this GB and there is rarely any tyre bulge or weighted effect on the front tyres, must have been either the tyre pressure or their construction that prevented it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That's a really nice looking kit Stef, I built the old Tamiya one and still have a couple of them and the Trumpeter kit in the stash so looking forward to your build.  Still not sure why they make the tyres from softer material like vinyl, it's usually a pain to paint.  As for weighted front tyres, I have looked at a lot of photos of half-tracks for this GB and there is rarely any tyre bulge or weighted effect on the front tyres, must have been either the tyre pressure or their construction that prevented it.

Cheers for that info. I suppose the majority of the weight will be on the back and the tracks. 

Vinyl will be OK, I've used them on car and bike builds. Not ideal to paint and I think I'll have to attach them to the hubs. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

As for weighted front tyres, I have looked at a lot of photos of half-tracks for this GB and there is rarely any tyre bulge or weighted effect on the front tyres, must have been either the tyre pressure or their construction that prevented it.

I took your advice, had a good look at photos and this is a very good tip. Cheers Bob.👍

• Thanks 1

It is a nice kit Robert, with crisp detail and little cleaning so far. The legendary Dragon instructions have only popped up once so far, but it does help to study the drawings of some parts carefully. Anyway, a bit of progress today. 1 and 2 sections complete leaving the frame starting to take shape.

p?i=7b0c0fb2c978bb16e0fb8bf5bbeb9494

p?i=0c0665801a04c0bc5ff395c7a8bd3b5d

(B21/22 need to go the other side to what is suggested.)

Cheers all, more tomorrow.

• Like 14

13 hours ago, Stef N. said:

(B21/22 need to go the other side to what is suggested.)

I've had some of these problems with my armoured car build, I always check when building Dragon kits, if it doesn't look correct, try the other side. 

• Like 1

Looking good. I'm at a similar stage and can see some matching details.

The main difference is it's taken me 7 sections to get to the same point. Maybe I should have got a Dragon kit!

• Haha 2

Great subject Stef, this was, if I recall right, the very first Dragon kit I bought years ago.....scared the begeebas out of me and it's still sitting untouched on the shelf now!

I'll follow, hopefully 🤞, and see how it all goes together!

Good luck

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Great subject Stef, this was, if I recall right, the very first Dragon kit I bought years ago.....scared the begeebas out of me and it's still sitting untouched on the shelf now!

I'll follow, hopefully 🤞, and see how it all goes together!

Good luck

Atb

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl, good to have you around. I have got a bit used to their vague (or wrong) instructions but I still found myself querying (swearing) where they wanted certain parts to go. A lot of dry fitting will be going on.😀👍

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Trevor L said:

Looking good. I'm at a similar stage and can see some matching details.

The main difference is it's taken me 7 sections to get to the same point. Maybe I should have got a Dragon kit!

The next five stages look a bit tougher, engines, wheels, winch etc. so I may make you glad you didn't get one.😀

• Like 2

I only got the engine done this evening and it is quite nice. It would seem a shame to cover it up so I may give it a bit more detailing and leave one of the sides up.

p?i=83974cf71cafbec371e43537eab5d645

p?i=596b76e1ab4d8fe156d95b0f6f5f331e

No colour call outs so I will have to trawl the internet for ideas.

• Like 16