Bf 109E Airfix 1/24

Jaro

Happy to reveal my first finished model and share my excitement with you. 

Accidentally saw this beatiful kit on a flea market and decided that it will be a nice starting point in my new hobby. My lack of skill made this kit less beautiful than it was when i first saw it in the box but at least i tried not to ruin it completely 

Here are some photos made in process:

I know control stick is glued backwards here. Already fixed it 😀

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngAnd here is a finished model:

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

And finally it is on my shelf. First but not last

spacer.png
spacer.png

Lessons learned:

More putty and sandpaper. I thought paint will cover all this small gaps and imperfections but no. Next time if i see something wrong when the model is primed i should definitely fix it.

My brush and airbrush skills suck so much. Should practice more before making next model.   
Less is more when it comes to weathering. I see Emil like a workhorse and like it more weathered with scratches dirt stains etc and was afraid to make such a big plane too boring but saw here so many clean nice models so should try it next. And I don’t know if it is just me but i like to see Emils and Hurricanes really dirty working machines and some Spitfires or Mustangs associate more with polished clean sport cars. 
I can’t really see the cockpit. Made this fuel and oxygen pipes or hydraulics near rudder control but cant see it at all. Do you paint cockpits lighter or are there any other tricks? Or do you make this details knowing that they will be buried there and not visible at all? At least it was fun to make them and to know they are there. 

Anyway even with all the flaws and my poor skills I just love it and enjoyed the process. So that’s all I will be grateful for your critique and advices.

• Like 43

It's a lovely model, but it's navigation equipment isn't working very well, as It's landed you right in the middle of the AFV section. Just ask one of the mods to relocate it.

John.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Patrykd said:

Does this plane look like tank? If not is in wrong place on forum? 

Sorry it’s a simple missclick. Already reported this topic and asked admin to bring it to the right place. So just waiting for this tank to transform back into airplane. 

Edited by Jaro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Wow, we disagree on something, you don't have poor skills, I love this! The weathering is something to admire in itself. Whether they got this dirty, I don't know, but looks totally convincing.

Used this photos as references for weathering. Maybe somebody will find them useful. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
And did some more weathering on left wing and exhaust+fuel stains asymmetrical because i think left side was more dirty because of cockpit access and propeller spinning direction. So I hope this weathering makes sense and has something in common with reality. Propeller is definitely way more damaged than should be but I just liked it more like that. 

Edited by Jaro
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Shows how much notice i take,all i saw was 109 and didn't even realise it was in the wrong section :doh:....

This 109 happened to be one of this yellow armor nosed sweethearts. Not only IL-2 was a flying tank 😀

Edited by Jaro
  • Haha 1

That's your first model ever? You're kidding! You should have seen my first...

I just feel it's a bit over-weathered, but very well-done otherwise. And way too many photos for the average attention span of a Britmodeller 😀

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toryu said:

That's your first model ever? You're kidding! You should have seen my first...

I just feel it's a bit over-weathered, but very well-done otherwise. And way too many photos for the average attention span of a Britmodeller 😀

Cheers, Michael

Well I used to make paper models before but it is something different. Always wanted to start painting this plastic kits but didn’t have enough courage because of my bad painting skills. Anyway it seems to be fun with all this different chemicals and technics. 
Yeah thought same about photos number. Could not choose few good pictures out of all. 😃

8 hours ago, Jaro said:

Used this photos as references for weathering. Maybe somebody will find them useful. 

And did some more weathering on left wing and exhaust+fuel stains asymmetrical because i think left side was more dirty because of cockpit access and propeller spinning direction. So I hope this weathering makes sense and has something in common with reality. Propeller is definitely way more damaged than should be but I just liked it more like that. 

Brilliant, you've nailed it :)

Nothing wrong with the weathering, it just sploshed down in a muddy field is all and got put back onto it's feet and straightened up.

All I'd say is restrain the weathering a bit but otherwise your skills are great. Keep up the great work.

Brad

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 03:07, Tempestwulf said:

Nothing wrong with the weathering, it just sploshed down in a muddy field is all and got put back onto it's feet and straightened up.

All I'd say is restrain the weathering a bit but otherwise your skills are great. Keep up the great work.

Brad

On 30/10/2022 at 07:42, Remus389 said:

Is this your first model? You said your new hobby.

It's really good for a first model, my first model looked like a 5 year old made it.

Thank you for kind words 😇

Interesting story that few month ago the man who have sold me this kit told me that he wanted to make this model for over 20 years but never got around and asked me to show him the result when I finish it. For this few month I was so stressed not to disappoint this  guy and yesterday actually showed him the model. It was a huge relief when he liked it and even asked me if I could finish his airfix 1/24 ju87 which was his dream kit but he is to old now to make it. Whats funny stuka is also my dream kit but he refused to sell it because as he told this are the memories of his youth. I told him that i can spoil this model and better to ask somebody more experienced but he gave his mail and told that he wants me to do it.  That’s so strange and nice of him. Maybe I will make some kits and try to deal with this stuka in few years in gratitude for introducing me to this hobby. But it’s so much stress to make models for somebody. Will need lot of advice from you guys. 😬
P.S. 

And he sent me photos of his models

spacer.pngspacer.png

Aren’t they amazing? I wonder how would he make this bf109 or stuka

Edited by Jaro
  • Like 3

Jaro, there is definitely nothing wrong with your modelling/painting/weathering skills.  This '109' is superb, and I also like the 'used' look, so the rather run down appearance of your kit is excellent.

Regarding the Stuka, please don't wait for a few years, build it soon.  Building models is like learning to ride a bicycle or driving a car after you've passed your driving test - you need to keep at it initially so you build up your confidence, then things will start to come to you more naturally and you'll wonder why you were hesitant in the first place.  Also, I don't think the gentleman who asked you to build the Stuka for him lacks any confidence in your capabilities, otherwise he wouldn't have suggested you build it for him.

Below, my two 1/24 scale Ju87s, both built a few years ago now; the first is a B-2 version, and the second, worked back to an R-1 with fuel tanks.   It's an old kit now, but still got life in it.

Best wishes, and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Paul

GEDC5187.jpg

ar-GEDC2690.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It took an eternity for the pics to download, but it was worth the wait.

Very impressive build of a war-weary Emil!

I'd be more than proud to have that as my first model!

👏👏👍

• Like 1

Very nicely done. There's a lot of weathering as has been mentioned but your techniques all look really effective so you have a great 'tool kit' to use for your next build.
Can't wait to see what you do with the Junkers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, obdl3945 said:

Jaro, there is definitely nothing wrong with your modelling/painting/weathering skills.  This '109' is superb, and I also like the 'used' look, so the rather run down appearance of your kit is excellent.

Regarding the Stuka, please don't wait for a few years, build it soon.  Building models is like learning to ride a bicycle or driving a car after you've passed your driving test - you need to keep at it initially so you build up your confidence, then things will start to come to you more naturally and you'll wonder why you were hesitant in the first place.  Also, I don't think the gentleman who asked you to build the Stuka for him lacks any confidence in your capabilities, otherwise he wouldn't have suggested you build it for him.

Below, my two 1/24 scale Ju87s, both built a few years ago now; the first is a B-2 version, and the second, worked back to an R-1 with fuel tanks.   It's an old kit now, but still got life in it.

Best wishes, and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Paul

GEDC5187.jpg

ar-GEDC2690.jpg

Wow this stukas are just incredible. I love how they look so real and heavy with minimum weathering. 
When I was writing about few years I meant few other models for more experience and confidence. I bought some old destroyed models on the same market removed the paint disassembled and will try to practice some airbrushing. Already started fw 189 and next one is fw 200. 

Edited by Jaro