AirCast Resin (Lift Here!) 1/72 resin - CAC-28 Ceres. Aussie cropduster from the late 1950's

ianwau

Time for a new build. 

Cropdusting in the 1950's in Australia (& NZ) largely consisted of ex military aircraft - lots of Tiger Moths, and conversion of others such as the CAC Wackett (into the Cropmaster), and the CAC Wirraway (into the Ceres). The Ceres, whilst based on Wirraway 'bits' had a myriad of changes - all aimed to improve low and slow performance.  New wing centre section and longer wings, leading edge slat, larger slotted flaps, new hopper and higher mounted cockpit position. Etc! 

As a taster - here's a Geoff Goodall image of a Ceres in operation on a fishlings drop[!] (VH-CEX in Victoria in 1961).

CA-28-CEX-Crickstown-farm-strip-nr-Eildo

From a modelling perspective - there have been a number of kits of the CAC Wirraway across various scales (the Special Hobby 1/48 was a most welcome addition) - and a handful of modellers have undertaken the Ceres conversion. I've previously done a 1/48 conversion.

A relatively recent release (2020) is a delicate 1/72 resin kit from Lift Here models of Serbia. Google says it's still available from Aviation Megastore, and I guess other suppliers may have stock. The boxtop looks like this

DSC04890

And I HAVE to give a plug to the definitive tome on the Ceres - which is the book from Derek Buckmaster released in 2017.  You'll find the book at the URL listed on the box top (top right) - and the book instigated the model. Not often a model company would have THIS sort of reference available for tooling their kit.  Note I have no relationship with either Lift Here or Derek (although Derek is known to frequent Britmodeller as @Derek_B ).

DSC04891

So what's inside? The main parts are packed in a 'split-sealed' plastic bag - which successfully stops the big bits rattling round with the little bits.

- there are TWO vacform canopies provided and what serves as a canopy master providing packing to stop any crushing. 

- Instructions are simplistic, but sufficient. Every part is clearly identified and named. 

- and a front 3/4 view of the aircraft indicates positioning of parts. 

- oh, and a nice set of decals for one colour scheme (per the box art) of VH-SSZ

Certainly a case of 'some modelling skills an advantage' for this one - but I've seen worse instructions from mainstream manufacturers. 

DSC04888 DSC04889

Below is a closer shot of the main fuse and (single piece) wing

- very delicate detailing

- fine resin moulding

- fuse resin is as thin as you'd see in an injection moulded kit (and light in weight accordingly). 

- there's not a pin hole in sight. The dots you can see around the nose are the fasteners for various panels

- wings are single piece but have a beautifully sharp trailing edge (better than you get from many an injection moulded kit)

- and everything matches the plans in Derek's book impeccably.  This is going to be fun...

DSC04892

First task is a bath in strong dishwashing detergent. It's recommended in the instructions and an early dry fit with tamiya tape (which wouldn't stick!) proved there was some mould release agent that needed releasing...

DSC04893

And here are the parts laid out more carefully. Everything looks entirely usable. The only things I might look at replacing are top right which includes

- rollover framing for cockpit.

- instrument panel and tailwheel

- rudder pedals, shock absorbers etc. 

It's all there...

DSC04896

That'll do for an introduction.

- I haven't settled on a colour scheme yet (might well be some surgery involved if I decide on the 2-seater version).

- there are some really nice schemes on this from operations in Australia and NZ.

- and there's a couple in museums, and one or two still flying.

Edited by ianwau
topic change
  • Like 23

15 hours ago, Herb said:

hacked together this example from an MPM Wirraway, a Heller T-6 and a lot of putty.

That looks fantastic!  A proper bit of old school modelling! Nice scheme and like the metal cowl!

21 hours ago, Ptmvarsityfan said:

There was an article on the Ceres in a recent issue of The Aviation Historian journal

Managed to track that one down. Will take a look.

23 hours ago, Paul J said:

saw one in New Zealand at the MOTAT museum in 2019

Yes, nice to see them being preserved (vs converted back to 1:1 Wirraways, which as been the fate of some..). Plenty of reference pix in Derek's book so am pretty good for reference thanks!

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It was only the cost of them that stopped me buying one, so I'll make do with your build instead

Agree Steve, they're not a cheap kit. But quality is certainly there. My usual scale is 1/48 but happy to be swayed with something like this....

• Like 1

A very interesting subject you've chosen here. While I've never built one, Lift Here kits look to be of nice quality, so I'm eager to see how it goes together. They make some interesting subjects (especially the Yugoslav types), unfortunately not in my scale.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Watching with great interest! And looking forward to @ianwau's treatment of this great little kit. I was surprised by the selection of the Type B by Lift Here, as Ian points out the rear of the canopy will need to be modified if the more numerous Type C is to be constructed.

Lift Here have stopped issuing the kit (all kits in fact) but the molds are still held (by AirCast Resin who produced the parts for Lift Here), so if anyone wanted to finance another run of kits...

• Like 1

[Posting on behalf of Alan Flett - who has not as yet resolved his Britmodeller access. Photos are copyright Alan Flett per watermark. Alan is well known in Australian Aviation History circles for his prolific photographic record of Australian aviation since the ~1960's - much of which in company with his father]

Alan:  "these photos were taken 48 years ago with the specific but unrealised intention of making a model of the Ceres because no model company was ever likely to make a kit of it! They might however now be useful for ‘anyone’ who might want to modify some possible future kit into a two seater?"  

1974 Alan Flett Ceres (4)

1974 Alan Flett Ceres (3)

1974 Alan Flett Ceres (2)

1974 Alan Flett Ceres (1)

1974 Alan Flett Ceres (5)

• Like 8

I have a 1/48 Special Hobby Wirraway in my stash along with the Ceres book and a couple of magazine articles - APMS No 2 of 1994 and APMS No 1 1995 so I don't lack information just will to make a start.  

• Like 1

Bit of an update.  Now I should note that my 'normal' modelling scale is 1:48 - so this 1:72 caper is really testing my patience. 

The interior has gone together well enough. The kit provides cockpit floor, rudder pedals, instrument panel, control column, seat - all of which usable. And a "cockpit roll bar" which no matter which way I turned it - couldn't fathom what they LH! had in mind. Besides which the supplied roll bar work out about a scale 3" (75mm) rectangular section. So binned that and replaced with a stretched sprue construction to match photos in the beaut Ceres book.  

Note my style of modelling is only to bother with detail that CAN be seen - so I have not replicated the entire fuselage framing, and have simplified other bits. Certainly respect those who go for the full detail - just not something I prioritise.... 

DSC04911

Anyway - below is an early dry fit of the fuselage halves. You can already see how little you can see inside the cockpit. Fit is 'very good' by cottage resin standards.  Incidentally, I followed up on Derek_B's comments about Aircast Resin (per post below)

On 10/31/2022 at 9:48 AM, Derek_B said:

Lift Here have stopped issuing the kit (all kits in fact) but the molds are still held (by AirCast Resin who produced the parts for Lift Here), so if anyone wanted to finance another run of kits...

In checking out AirCast Resin - the entire packaging of this kit looks like many other AirCast Resin kits (apart from the LiftHere! branding). Which makes me think that the other kits in the  AirCast Resin's catalogue must be equally delightful. LOT's of civilian 1/72 aircraft.  I'll be exploring this further... 

DSC04910

So charging ahead, fuselage has been glued together - using sparingly applied 2 part 5 minute epoxy glue. Waited 6 minutes and cleaned up glue residue and wet sanded with 800 grade. Then applied a bead of Milliput to the the join lines result of which you can see below. Not much putty required - that'll be more apparent once i sand off the excess.

Insides were painted silver, with (non visible) extremities painted in black to ensure they remained non-visible. Instrument panel in black and picking out of detail on the cockpit sides. Detail is fairly basic - but still more than you get in many of the older (but still stocked) 1/72 kits. And per above - commensurate with 'what you can see'.

DSC04917

And the underside... There's a rather odd 2mm gap between the wing trailing edge and the fuse. Had to go hunting through Derek's book to work out what was going on - but have filled it with a filet of styrene strip. No big deal - the instructions are of little help by the way. Apart from every part being named (which is 90% of the solution), there is NO indication of placement. Which means having great reference is essential...

DSC04918

Below is a pic of the glued fuse sitting on the wing (dry fit). You should get a bit of a sense that the parts fit is VERY GOOD - and minimal putty/surgery is going to be required. Also of note is the tailplane which rather than a butt joint - has some handy little tab recesses. That will indeed be handy for getting a strong/positive joint. 

DSC04919

Also- I have settled on a colour scheme (so many tempting schemes to choose from!). The kit comes with very nice decals for VH-SSZ in a nice silver and dayglo scheme - but a few people have done that, and I like doing something different. Earlier in the life of VH-SSZ (1960) she had a 3 month contract with Shell Chemical (Aust) who were providing an Aerial Spraying Service in Western Australia - spraying lots of goodies in the Shell product range. Rather conveniently - this is a Ceres-B (single seater) which means no surgery is required for the kit (and also why I've pushed ahead with the interior detailing and fuse gluing. Photo below is via Geoff Goodall - silver overall with Shell branding and wingtips, fin/rudder tip etc probably in Dayglo (although I might exercise some artistic license and go for "Shell Yellow" given Shell forked over all the money for branding). I've explored whether the fuse underside is actually 'black' but consensus is that this is a poor contrast photo (ie was only in this scheme for ~3 months - hardly had time to weather...) 

img20.jpeg

Next steps:

- sand the fuse

- glue the wings on and blend in

- glue the tailplane on and blend.

- engine and cowl....

This kit will be through to paint fairly quickly. Rather looking forward to that - and the decals (home printed) should give it quite a Lift!

And for dcrfan

On 11/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, dcrfan said:

I have a 1/48 Special Hobby Wirraway in my stash along with the Ceres book and a couple of magazine articles - APMS No 2 of 1994 and APMS No 1 1995 so I don't lack information just will to make a start.  

I've actually done a 1/48 Ceres. This one was a Sierra hobbies conversion of a Monogram Texan into a Wirraway - THEN converted into a Ceres! The Special Hobby route should be MUCH easier - go on, make a start!

DSC02675

• Like 11

Excellent progress @ianwau! By the way, don't forget to cut out the extra window section which Lift Here / AirCast Resin have forgotten. See Juanita's profile on page 63 for the shape. Actually the aft end of the cockpit fairing of the kit is not quite correct for the Type B, the rear edge should be a sharp angle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Derek_B said:

By the way, don't forget to cut out the extra window section which Lift Here / AirCast Resin have forgotten. See Juanita's profile on page 63 for the shape. Actually the aft end of the cockpit fairing of the kit is not quite correct for the Type B, the rear edge should be a sharp angle.

Thanks Derek!  I'm looking at the Pg153 profile of SSZ Ceres-B but can't see the extra window? (Pg63 is Ceres-C). I can see CA28-2 on Pg135 has extra window but not CA28-5 SSZ.... Am I missing something?

Also re the shape of the aft end of the cockpit fairing - do you have handy any photos that demonstrate the required shape? Most photos don't have sufficient resolution/detail to show this specific area.  Happy to do a bit of surgery to get this fixed.

Hi @ianwau, regarding the "missing window", my mistake, that was only on the prototype, VH-CEB (see the profile on p53... the "missing window" is directly above the "Ceres" logo). But for VH-SSZ it is not missing. For the shape of the fairing, I can only direct you to the photos on pp45-46 and p77 (top). The aft edge of the fairing is almost a sharp "V", similar to your 1/48 model. The sides of the aft fairing are almost flat, not curved as in the LH model.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 12:34 AM, Derek_B said:

The aft edge of the fairing is almost a sharp "V", similar to your 1/48 model. The sides of the aft fairing are almost flat, not curved

Thanks Derek. An operating theatre appointment has been made for the patient. It's a tricky shape - I can see how LH! (or Aircast?) tripped up.

2 hours ago, Bell209 said:

We've got one at HARS, too

.VH-SSF! Would love to see her painted up in an earlier SSF scheme!  The Airfarm red fuse and yellow wings are so recognisable.  Current Blayney Airfarmers scheme looks a bit trendy 1980's/1990's vs peak Ceres ops?

On 11/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, k5054nz said:

The cockpit looks beautiful Ian, it's hard to believe it's 1/72!

My cockpit mods are, to be honest, pretty basic. Could have gone to town on it but my eyes and brain would not have appreciated it. Kit basis is a good start though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ianwau said:

Current Blayney Airfarmers scheme looks a bit trendy 1980's/1990's vs peak Ceres ops?

She's looking a bit sad atm. Another project that needs some TLC - so many aircraft, so few volunteers with tech skills! Not sure if she's slated to fly again; I suspect the Wirraway team will look after her when they finish getting A20-99 flying.

• Like 1

Some more progress.... 

The patient is in the recovery room having had a bit of liposuction to the aft section of the cockpit fairing. Not as hard as I thought - there was sufficient thickness in the resin to allow removal of a sliver of resin on what was previously an overly rounded profile.  Thanks @Derek_B for the tip off!   Still a bit more fine tuning - but won't require a general anaesthetic

DSC04932

Oh - and I've glued the wings on....  Which has revealed a bit of an issue vs the plans/pictures (thanks again Derek!).

- we're missing a bit of dihedral on the outer wing panels? 

- remember this is a one piece resin wing, so inherent in the moulding.. 

- actually not that disturbed by this. It's a beautiful piece of resin moulding, and a relatively straightforward fix 

DSC04928

Anyway - method has been to:

- cut the wing 2/3 of the way through from the UNDERside

- insert a 0.5mm styrene sliver. 

- glue with thin superglue and sand off

-blend in with milliput (which is what you see in the pic below). 

- (the eagle eyed might note an extra cut on the inner port wing - a little 'adjustment' was required to true things up....)

DSC04931

And here we are lining up back to plans...

DSC04929

Next steps,

- a bit of sanding of the Milliput (and maybe some touchups....)

- tailplane

- add hopper top and bottom

- canopy. soonish....

Enjoying this one. As mentioned 1:72 not my normal scale - but gosh they take up quite a bit less space than 1:48 equivalent...

Edited by ianwau
grammar
  • Like 9