Wittmann's Tiger, or was it?

Maddoxx77

Made some progress today. Turret build is finished except the main gunbarrel. 

20221103-130654.jpg

I did the spare tracks on the lower hull. I drilled out all the holes on the trackguides. The headlight got installed. Trumpeter even put the electric cable in the kit. 

20221103-130633.jpg

I used a reference photo to see how the spare tracks were held in place. And to see if there are any other things i need to correct.

tiger-tank.jpg

looking at the photo i need to drill out a second hole on the gunmantlet.

Next stop, last details and then on to the tracks and the running gear. 

I'm really in to this kit and the detail on the parts provided by Trumpeter are turning out excellent. The fit is really good and there are practicaly no errors to correct. I can recommend this kit to anyone who want to build a Tiger 1. 

Also i compared several parts from the voyager PE kit to the original parts and my conclusion is voyager sold me a 1:48 scale set as a 1:35 scale set.🤬 So i won't recommend them. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers!! 👍👍👍

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 9

Really nice build and progress.

Incidentally, don't get too concerned about "the correct turret number" as when I build my Dragon 1/35 Tiger 1 of the V-B engagement, the general consensus (then) was that Wittman's turret number for that action was '212'. There have been numerous opinions and theories put forward over the years with all manner of 3-digit variations starting with '2' proposed, but the reality is that short of a belated photo find and confirmed to the day of the action, no one will ever (really) know what the number on his Tiger turret was that day.

As such, your guess and decision for this build is as good as the next modellers on this subject.

Look forward to seeing more great progress with your build.

Cheers.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roadweels done. Put the figures together to play around with some poses. 

I like this one, as if they pose for a photo after the battle.... 

20221103-164641.jpg

I think i will butcher the 5th figure to fit the drivers hatch.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, PeteH1969 said:

Looks very nice don't forget to fill and blend the corners where the steps in the zimmerit are.

I know, tnx. I still need to do all the detailwork and some filling here and there

• Like 1

Just saw a 1/35 Tamiya mid production Tiger in a Hobby shop. Great box-art complete with Zimmerit. Thought "that looks good - and no effort to add the zim.

The first item of small print beneath the image - "No Zimmerit included with this kit" DOH!:wall:

Edited by echen
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, echen said:

Just saw a 1/35 Tamiya mid production Tiger in a Hobby shop. Great box-art complete with Zimmerit. Thought "that looks good - and no effort to add the zim.

The first item of small print beneath the image - "No Zimmerit included with this kit" DOH!:wall:

Yuuuup. My expirience exactly with the airfix kit 🤣🤣🤣

I don't know if it is typical RFM engineering or not but i must say that the assembly of the tracklinks is a bit complicated.. . .

20221103-211237.jpg

The trackguides all need to be placed seperatly... 

on the plus side. The kit comes with a jig that's superhandy. And when assembled they fit like a glove and look awesome!

20221103-211207.jpg

• Like 6

Time for a little update..... after a few days of real life stuff tonight i found some time to spend at my workbench.

Assembling ( did i spell that right???? ) these RFM workable tracks for the Tiger proved to be a mamoth task... .compared to these the M4 tracks were a walk in the park! ( scrambled brain anyone?)

20221110-213134.jpg

after i linked all the trackparts it was time to put the track guides on. Well, that was fun!!! 🤬🤬🤬

First i tried doing it in fours

20221110-213142.jpg

but then i had to cut of the excess sprue and more than half came loose again so i decided to put them on individualy. 

20221110-220411.jpg

Two rows each consisting of 97 guides wich makes a total of 194 tiny parts to glue in place. 

20221110-220432.jpg

However, after that was done i checked the result by dryfitting the track on the Tiger and i love it!!!

20221110-223550.jpg

So..... one track done..... time for the next one.

20221110-224219.jpg

Is it normal that i got Queen 'I'm going slightly mad' ringing in my head now????

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 9

After watching a tutorial on yt the second track is coming along nicely. I've developt a system by doing 12 links at a time using the 3 jigs glued together. The most usefull tip in the video was to put a little bit of glue on the sprue to soften it up. Then you can snap the sprue right off.

Also the Tamiya extra thin works a bit better compared to the Mr. Hobby due to the smaller brush. 

Right now i'm halfway trough altough i still have to do all the guides individually. 

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Thanks 1

Tracks are done! The last details in the building stage are done. The only thing left are the side fenders. I'll work on them a bit before putting them on. 

20221113-153341.jpg

everything else is ready for primer.

20221113-153350.jpg

cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 4

Primer and preshading/highlights done.

20221114-103345.jpg

First layers of the dark yellow base 

20221114-110842.jpg

next some highlights and shadows and some distressing.

so far i'm pretty pleased with the look.

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Sorry, I have either missed it or forgotten it, (age is getting to me) but what dark yellow do you use/are you using?

I use the dark yellow from Ammo mig german late color set. 

A.MIG-011 RAL 7028 DUNKELGELB AUS ’44 DG I
A.MIG-012 RAL 7028 DUNKELGELB AUS ’44 DG III

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1