Wittmann's Tiger, or was it?

Maddoxx77

On 28/11/2022 at 21:22, Maddoxx77 said:

It's slowly starting to look the part....

PCIMG-2022-11-28-22-09-59.jpg

Tonight i did all the camo on the roadweels. Still hard to control the flow of the paintbrush. Now working with a 0,2mm needle and the pressure on 12 psi and a lightly thinned mixture of ammo mig acrylic paints. Still it clogs up from time to time. Maybe i'll have to try some other brand of thinner ( i use vallejo thinner and improver ) and i need to do more testing with the mixture. Tips and suggestions are more then welcome. However, i got it on and it looks descent to me. The colors are still a bit bright but with the weathering it should tone down a lot.

I gave the whole model a coat of semigloss varnish to secure the decals and the paint. 

Next stop, detail painting.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

Have you tried MRP Acrylic Lacquer Paint?  No thinning required. Shaky shaky the bottle, pop it in the airbrush, Pressure down to 8-12psi and off you go. Nice and accurate three tone German colours with the ability to spray really tight patterns.....and best of all, ZERO clogging

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kelscale said:

Have you tried MRP Acrylic Lacquer Paint?  No thinning required. Shaky shaky the bottle, pop it in the airbrush, Pressure down to 8-12psi and off you go. Nice and accurate three tone German colours with the ability to spray really tight patterns.....and best of all, ZERO clogging

Never tried MRP before. Worth giving it a go. Tnx for the tip 👍👍👍

1 hour ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Never tried MRP before. Worth giving it a go. Tnx for the tip 👍👍👍

The only thing that I found different is it does take a while to build up a good covering for base coating. A decent opacity takes a fair few coats.  It does leave a beautifully smooth finish though

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kelscale said:

The only thing that I found different is it does take a while to build up a good covering for base coating. A decent opacity takes a fair few coats.  It does leave a beautifully smooth finish though

That would make it great for use in combination with preshading.

• Like 1

No progress on the Tiger but i want to share a proud father moment: my 13 year old son is building his first kit, a cybernetic hand

20221203-210936.jpg

20221203_210924.jpg

now..... let's get him in to AFV's 😜

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Top lad. It looks like a reasonably complex kit too. Hope he enjoys it.👍👍

Well, so far he does. It's a kit without glue. Most parts snap on and there is the occasional screw. But it's a lot of parts and a complete air system to move the fingers so it's certainly not easy.

• Like 1

Finally i found some time to get some work done on the Tiger.

The tracks are on. Love the look. 

20221206-204113.jpg

they need a bit more work but so far i'm happy i bought the aftermarket tracks. 

did the detail painting of the tools and weapons. Still need some weathering.

20221206-204023.jpg

And i started the chipping fase. I will do all the chips with a brush so it will take a lot of time but looking at the top of the turret, i think it's the right way to do it. 

The roadmap is done so now i can fill the chips with a grey brown to add depth.

Working in segments i will take my time to not mess it up. 

20221206-213249.jpg

20221206-214358.jpg

20221206-214410.jpg

Still a lot of work to do but i really enjoy the proces and so far, the model and the picture i have in my mind are still the same. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

Btw, the cyborg hand of my son is finished. I will post pictures next time. He did a splendid job and the thing works great 😁

• Like 10

After 3 days of chipping i'm finally done. 

20221213-134816.jpg

20221213-134754.jpg

I tried to keep it really subtle. No heavy damage this time. 

20221213-134833.jpg

some last detailpainting left and then it's time for some enamels. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 13

This is looking really good. I suspect that heavily damaged Tigers were a bit rare unless the RAF/USAF found them. From what I've read it was more likely to be heavily damaged Shermans and Cromwells if Tigers were involved. :sad:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, echen said:

This is looking really good. I suspect that heavily damaged Tigers were a bit rare unless the RAF/USAF found them. From what I've read it was more likely to be heavily damaged Shermans and Cromwells if Tigers were involved. :sad:

I wanted to simulate user damage. Scratches from the tools and driving around a shot up inviroment. So no hitmarks and bullet holes. In my head this is before the attack around Villers-Bocage. When finished the crew is posing for a wehrmacht photographer. 

( still have to paint 5 figures 😜 )

20 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

still have to paint 5 figures

I've got shedloads of 1/72 figures to paint but haven't psyched myself up yet.

I think you've been very successful in your damage level aim. Dropped tools and barging through rough country seems well represented here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is looking so fine @Maddoxx77!   🍺 You're doing some top work here!   Ah, those figures so intimidate me.   I know how amateurish the crew looks on my Panther tank after I painted them, and I haven't had any practice since then, 20 years or so.   I'd like to sub-out the figure painting for my ARVN crew on the Bulldog if at possible.   I know my own figure painting skills would diminish the effect I'm trying for.   ;)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, echen said:

@Gary Brantley All these negative waves, man! (Says pot to the kettle)

😁  I know, I know...mea culpa!  :D The Bulldog is looking pretty good (he so humbly said ;) :lol:) and the crew won't if I paint them.   

...again with the negative waves, man! :rambo:

Always with the negative waves...

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

😁  I know, I know...mea culpa!  :D The Bulldog is looking pretty good (he so humbly said ;) :lol:) and the crew won't if I paint them.   

...again with the negative waves, man! :rambo:

Always with the negative waves...

I find the videos from uncle nightshift on figure painting so helpfull. 

I was intimidated at first but in the end it is fun to do. With acrylic paints mistakes are pretty easy to correct. I always use a drop of retarder and a wet pallet so the paint stays more fluid and easier to manipulate. 

For the body's i use a small flat brush and i work with very thin acrylic paint building up layers like a glaze. All the details are done with a 3/0 brush. 

Just get in there and try. 

• Like 1

Almost..... but not yet. 

I finished the weathering on the hull and turret. Some grime and rust. To tone the bright camo scheme down.

20221216-164018.jpg

20221216-164120.jpg

Almost time to start with the weathering of the running gear. Some touch ups here and there but so far i'm pretty happy. 

Had a bit of a setback with the tracks. I noticed one track was 1 link too long so i had to take it off and remove 1 link. I decided to take both tracks of and do the first weathering stage on all the separate roadweels. Then i'll stick everything on for the second stage of dust and some ( light ) mud.

For now i'll park this beauty and shift my attention to some figure painting.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 6