Wittmann's Tiger, or was it?

Maddoxx77

5 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers mate, it has a good hue to it. One to bookmark.👍

It has great saturation. Altough in this case it has a slightly colder, flatter look because of the black primer and the whitegrey preshading. 

• Like 1

Tonight i came across the first bump. I tried to do some airbrush postshading and i could not get the mixture right. I did about 90% thinner with 2 drops of flat black and choco brown. I could not find the right distance to spray and the correct pressure ( now about 1.5 bar ) so i had to correct some mistakes. After that i was looking at this

20221114-192556.jpg

i lost a bit of the preshading but still the baselayer looks fine to me.

After that i did the green camo

20221115-204702.jpg

Now it's time for the redbrown. I mixed 5 drops of choco brown in 15 drops of redbrown to tone the color down. 

And it's finished.

20221115-213632.jpg

a freehand 3 color scheme..... looks okay ish.... some minor touch ups are needed but then it's time for semi gloss varnish and some decals

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 10

29 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I'm not sure how easy it would be to touch it up and weathering will darken it, taking the edge off it too.

You're right. I'll leave it as it is and tone it down with the weathering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

@Maddoxx77, You've got it goin' on now my friend!  :clap2: That beast is really looking good! 🥃

Tnx @Gary Brantley for your kind words. Still a lot of work to do. I took some time off to enjoy other things in life. I think tomorow i'll start on the roadweels and the tracks. 

• Like 1

Little bit of progress. Did the exhaust pipes. Fun little project. I'll leave the covers off because i like the look much better this way.

I also did the basecoat on the roadweels with a little bit of color variations. And i sprayed the whole model with a very dilluted mixture of black brown (10% paint 90% thinner) to tone the brightness of the redbrown and green down a bit. 

20221122-213942.jpg

20221122-215008.jpg

I'll keep you guys posted.

cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 13

On 22/11/2022 at 21:07, Maddoxx77 said:

Little bit of progress. Did the exhaust pipes. Fun little project. I'll leave the covers off because i like the look much better this way.

I also did the basecoat on the roadweels with a little bit of color variations. And i sprayed the whole model with a very dilluted mixture of black brown (10% paint 90% thinner) to tone the brightness of the redbrown and green down a bit. 

20221122-213942.jpg

20221122-215008.jpg

cheers! 👍👍👍

Those exhausts look very good. Nice paint effects. Definitely leave the shields off.👍

• Thanks 1

So, little progress is still progress.... tonight i finally got some work done on the Tiger. The steel rims were painted on the weels, the whole kit was sprayed with semi-gloss and i've put the decals on. I also started weathering the tracks and the spare tracks.

Pretty happy so far. Still have to do the camo on the roadweels and a lot of detail painting and then i can start chipping.

20221127-212208.jpg

20221127-212216.jpg

20221127-212308.jpg

20221127-212142.jpg

20221127-213010.jpg

Btw, yesterday i went to the Euro scale modeling show and i did a bit of a hawl.

20221127-213435.jpg

Got the Takom jagdtiger, some PE from Eduard, the Tamiya Churchill and a korean war T34/85 from Italeri. The last on was €10 and it even comes with PE and a metal barrel 🤣

Anyway,with the Border model StuG on the way i think i'm set for the next couple of months.

First let's build this Wittmann Tiger.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 6

It's slowly starting to look the part....

PCIMG-2022-11-28-22-09-59.jpg

Tonight i did all the camo on the roadweels. Still hard to control the flow of the paintbrush. Now working with a 0,2mm needle and the pressure on 12 psi and a lightly thinned mixture of ammo mig acrylic paints. Still it clogs up from time to time. Maybe i'll have to try some other brand of thinner ( i use vallejo thinner and improver ) and i need to do more testing with the mixture. Tips and suggestions are more then welcome. However, i got it on and it looks descent to me. The colors are still a bit bright but with the weathering it should tone down a lot.

I gave the whole model a coat of semigloss varnish to secure the decals and the paint. 

Next stop, detail painting.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 8

On 11/2/2022 at 6:59 AM, echen said:

Not sure how much is visible through the 1/35 engine deck vents but I mounted folded pix of Tiger fans and radiators on a frame made from sprues under my 1/72 Tiger engine deck vents.

I've tried to embed the pix here - without success. I'll try and pm the jpgs if you're interested - they're in the Tiger Superthread somewhere too.

I wasn't sure what could be seen through the vents on my Tamiya 1/35 Tiger, so I spent way too much time scratckbuilding the fans and rads/fuel tanks. In the end, evem with a powerful flashlight, they are all but invisible!

Oh well!

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I wasn't sure what could be seen through the vents on my Tamiya 1/35 Tiger, so I spent way too much time scratckbuilding the fans and rads/fuel tanks. In the end, evem with a powerful flashlight, they are all but invisible!

Oh well!

Well, you could open up one of the rear vents. That looks like really clean work !! 

8 minutes ago, Longbow said:

you could open up one of the rear vents.

I saw a utube video about the Bovington of the refurbishment of the Tiger I cooling fans. (Had another search but couldn't find it again.) The gratings above them are hinged if I recall correctly.

Your work looks too good to hide.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Oh well!

That's some awesome scratchbuilding!!!

39 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Just been catching up. Your freehand airbrushing skills are first class. And I like the way that you peppered the exhaust shroud. Very neat work.

John.

Thank you so much. That means a lot. 

• Like 1