Welcome to my build. I thought this would be a decent build for a group build, nice small armoured car but then I looked at the contents! Lots of parts, full interior detailing and a fair whack of PE. We shall see how far I get with this one!

Kit is Gecko Models 1/35 sawn off Daimler armoured car. Box is nice and full, lots of good detail in it. This will be the first Gecko models kit I’ve built and I’m hoping for a fun build as I’ve got my eye on their LCA that’s being launched soon.

kit box:

eKIqwf0.jpg

contents:

1wl3rkw.jpg

Comprehensive instructions. Look at all that PE!:

SzSBwQH.jpg

Wish me luck!

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good luck.

Looks like a nice kit, seems very detailed?
Is some of the plastic different colours?  Think I see a range of greys?

I think that’s just the light on the cellophane, all the same grey. Yes, looks to be a very detailed kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Looking at those plans, I think you're right. Good luck BF.

John.

Thanks John, and fiddly it has been. Made a start on it, and lots of small PE bits so far. The drivers seat, made up of 7 plastic bits and 5 PE bits, lived up to the name of the vehicle! I needed two sets of hands to get it all together but got there in the end.

uxoKNgp.jpg

The floor is complete, good detailing.

XdOOnbt.jpg

AqMU59f.jpg

Some general thoughts on the kit so far:

Detail is very good and sharp, plastic is a little on the softer side than usual stuff I build (dragon/Asuka)

Lots of small pieces akin to miniart

Mostly well moulded although small amount of flash and some mould slip, especially on the steering? linkages that run either side of the drivers seat.

Ejector pin marks are well placed

Fit is good although some more positive placement parts would be good.

Overall a very nice little kit but not for the novice!

• Like 15

58 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

From what Ive read over on Missing Lynx, the suspension is somewhat of a challenge on this kit......

Yes, I’ve seen that and was tempted to get some of the 3D printed suspension units someone was offering but think I’ll just stick with the out the box.

17 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Very good start, it's looking good...

Ed

Cheers Ed, I was hoping for a quick build with such a small vehicle but don’t think that’ll be the case!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 6:43 PM, StuartH said:

Looks like a very nice kit of a vehicle I'm not particularly familiar with.

Great start with the PE and I look forward to seeing it progress 👍

There’s not an awful lot of information about them and only a few pictures. I believe they were only used by the inns of court recce regiment, attached to 11th armoured in NWE, something of a field mod.

On the subject of PE, after some time at the bench over the weekend there was a lot of PE involved. Most of the interior detail is now added and ready for a touch of paint before further assembly.

Most ejector pin marks are in hidden places although there are two on each side wall which, although tucked in corners, will be visible when built so they got filled with some Mr Putty.

TrBOYkb.jpg

L2tYKrN.jpg

Lots of PE straps going on

fWwE3dm.jpg

9 separate pieces of PE in the battery holder alone!

RCtBctQ.jpg

The only PE parts lost to the carpet monster were two legs for the control panel on the right side, each a hairs width and 4 bends required in each! Panel just got spaced with some PC off cuts instead.

Qxg75gK.jpg

Insides have now all had a coat of primer and ready for some paint before I close it up.

• Like 16

On 11/7/2022 at 9:31 PM, StuartH said:

Very nice work on the interior though I don't envy you all that etch!

On 11/7/2022 at 11:05 PM, Jasper dog said:

Great choice of subject, I'd almost been tempted but all that pe!

Really nice work though. :like:

Darryl 

Thanks for the comments both.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:54 AM, Bullbasket said:

Nice work BF, especially with the etch. Hopefully, your sanity is still intact?

John.

Thanks John, sanity intact but think my eyesight might have suffered. I felt like my eyes were pointing in different directions after I had done all that!

spacer.png

Edited by bigfoot
  • Haha 4

On 07/11/2022 at 18:17, bigfoot said:

There’s not an awful lot of information about them and only a few pictures. I believe they were only used by the inns of court recce regiment, attached to 11th armoured in NWE, something of a field mod.

On the subject of PE, after some time at the bench over the weekend there was a lot of PE involved. Most of the interior detail is now added and ready for a touch of paint before further assembly.

Most ejector pin marks are in hidden places although there are two on each side wall which, although tucked in corners, will be visible when built so they got filled with some Mr Putty.

TrBOYkb.jpg

L2tYKrN.jpg

Lots of PE straps going on

fWwE3dm.jpg

9 separate pieces of PE in the battery holder alone!

RCtBctQ.jpg

The only PE parts lost to the carpet monster were two legs for the control panel on the right side, each a hairs width and 4 bends required in each! Panel just got spaced with some PC off cuts instead.

Qxg75gK.jpg

Insides have now all had a coat of primer and ready for some paint before I close it up.

Hello BF

A very interesting model and beautifully built up to here!
Cool details 👍

MD

On 11/10/2022 at 4:54 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Mine will be very much simplified! You are going well but the PE is beyond my desire.

I'm not building it in this GB now I've seen yours. I'll save it for Recon next year.

Some of the plastic parts are tricky as well (see below). I know you’ve built some miniart kits so you’re probably going to be alright with some of the fiddly bits and dubious connections.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hello BF

A very interesting model and beautifully built up to here!
Cool details 👍

MD

Thanks MD, it’s definitely coming along. Slowly. 😁

So an hour and a half at the bench last night and what have I got to show for it? A few tiny radio bits, that what! Doesn’t look much but it was a good lot of work. Each microphone is two parts, the earphones on the headsets are only and they expect you to join them to a small spine on the end of the head band smaller than a gnat’s you know what.

2ZtFRNw.jpg

The canvas shade shade on the left is made of the four sides that butt joint to each other with the backpiece that doesn’t fit snugly. I needed two pairs of hands to get it square and together whilst I glued it. The PE bits were the easy part here.

Gecko don’t give you any guidance on wiring up the headsets and microphones so if anyone has some good pictures of the radio sets and where they plug into, please share!

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

The canvas shade shade on the left is made of the four sides that butt joint to each other with the backpiece that doesn’t fit snugly. I needed two pairs of hands to get it square and together whilst I glued it.

I think I'd have been tempted to do that in lead foil.

• Like 2

Brilliant subject but not one for the timid....

Think I'm with @Ned on this one!

9 hours ago, Ned said:

This looks like one of those kits where you open the box, look at it, and quietly put it away and then go eat some biscuits instead.

We're with you every step of the way!

Good luck!

Darryl 

18 hours ago, Ned said:

This looks like one of those kits where you open the box, look at it, and quietly put it away and then go eat some biscuits instead.

We're with you every step of the way!

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Brilliant subject but not one for the timid....

Think I'm with @Ned on this one!

Good luck!

Darryl 

7 hours ago, edjbartos said:

It may have taken you a while but it really looks great, well worth the effort I think...👍

Ed

Thanks for the comments and the luck, going to need it I think to get this finished for the end of the GB. The next steps are the suspension which look extremely fiddly. I might bite the bullet and get some 3D printed alternatives.

• Like 2

On 17/11/2022 at 21:49, bigfoot said:

Gecko don’t give you any guidance on wiring up the headsets and microphones so if anyone has some good pictures of the radio sets and where they plug into, please share!

Have a dig around here: https://www.royalsignals.org.uk/
No promises that they'll have the info you want, but, any info you find should be sound.