Fuselage marking for Bf109E4 "White 14", 1/48 scale

robstopper

I'm going to be building an example in 1/48 scale of the Bf109E4 which resides at the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, which is painted to represent the aircraft when it was flown by H-J Marseille.

I've got the kit, and most of the decals, but am struggling with the decal for the fuselage aft of the Balkenkreuz. Simple enough to mask the black circle, but getting the white cross over it is a little trickier, and it would be easier to do it in one decal.

There's a photo calibration marking I've seen recently in a book about test and development aircraft which would fit the bill, and Fineline did a pack which featured it, but its long out of production.

Any ideas or advice please, fine folks of Britmodeller?

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/LG2-I/pages/Airworthy-Bf-109E4-1.LG2-White-14-Hans-Joachim-Marseille-France-1940-02.html

Edited by robstopper

• robstopper changed the title to Fuselage marking for Bf109E4 "White 14", 1/48 scale

Staying with the home made masking, spray the disc white first, and leave the circle mask in place.   Apply two strips of tape to create the 'X' followed with a spray over with black.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

If you burnish the tape edges down with the rounded end of a paint brush handle, and fog the black on in thin layers the result should be crisp and sharp.

Just as an example of how crisp and sharp you can get with tape, I had to do this with a translucent decal a while ago ...

decals 4

decals 5

• Like 3

If you don't like the masking idea, another solution would be to find a white field in your spare decal stash and cut a thin white strip of white decal from it with a sharp blade. Cut 2 pieces to the length of the legs on the "X" and apply them like any other decal.

• 4 weeks later...

I was watching Warplane Workshop last night, the episode on the Spanish Civil War Bucker Jungmeister, and the penny dropped. This marking on the rear fuselage of White 14 is the Legion Condor marking!

So, on to the Hannants website this morning, and I think if I used these in 1/144 scale, they'd *probably* be the right size to go on the fuselage at 1/48 scale instead of the wings at 1/144 - or at least close enough anyway.

LF Models Aircraft decals - LFMC44109 | Hannants https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LFMC44109?result-token=TJ2zu

The 'Spanish' marking is a bit different because it has the arms of the X extended all the way to the edges of the disc.    If lucky, they are a bit undersized to what is required.  Then just need to spray a slightly larger black disc and center the decal over that?  

• Thanks 1

well spotted Jack, good eyes - I hadn't noticed that slight difference in my excitement at having thought I'd solved the problem. Masking the black disc then slicing up some white decal strips to suit will probably be the cheapest and easiest solution.