P-38J Lightning of the 459th FS 8FG USAAF, the Twintail Dragons, operating over Burma in the CBI in 1944-45.

48 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Sounds like quite a challenge, Steve. It does sound like you're winning now though

James

Not sure if I'd call it winning, not yet anyhow, but I think it'll be ok, eventually. You can be the judge, this was tonight's effort, all the Dragons done & when I'd finished I looked at it & said take that you mongrel. <_< 

I have a small confession to make after my diatribe last night, the decal instructions are fine, if you use all the bits, :shrug: tonight I noticed on the decal sheet after I cut out the rest of the bits the same as last night but for the other side, there were 4 little wedges of Dragons tail left, oops, look at the instructions & they should have gone between the bits on the U/C doors & the front of the radiator bulge, bugger, too late now so I carried on as before, in fact, what I've done looks little different to what it was supposed to be like & was a darn sight easier.  The Dragons head around the engines is as rough as a badgers bum just now but I think will touch up ok. Coupla days eh? :D

IMG_20221130_231108

Steve.

• Like 7

It looks pretty good to me, Steve :) You're also way ahead of me, I've got an awful lot of painting before I can start the decals, with an awkward job applying the bat's head over the nose

James

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

applying the bat's head over the nose

Such a tight curvaceous little nose it is too. :( :D 

Have fun. Definitely where a sol/set combo might help, though I think in my case, the decals simply didn't fit over the lumps & bumps.

Steve.

• Like 1

Sounds like a tough decal session! Have you tried a pad soaked in hot water, as hot as you can bear? I used that on my Hasegawa F-102 a while back and it seemed to help to bed them down a bit.

in any case, it’s going to look stunning.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Have you tried a pad soaked in hot water, as hot as you can bear?

Maybe not to that extent but I have an essential (yeah right) oils heater that I use with a pie dish on top, when I'm decalling, it gets quite hot, though well below boiling & a cotton bud dipped in there & rolled over obstacles has worked in the past, these ones were a combination of leathery decals, too many sticky out bits, intakes & vents & too much compound curve, it was never going to end well to my mind. :(

Steve.

• Sad 1

Last lap now, not much to do & I'm happy enough with the result so far, possibly better than I could have imagined a few days ago. My saving grace was that Tamiya XF-5 was a close to perfect match for the green in the Dragons body.

2022-12-05_11-56-49

Steve.

• Like 7

Looks fab! Great result with large (gulp) Academy (gasp) decals.

I don’t know anything about the scheme, but maybe extending/moving the black of the eye to make one big pupil together with the hole in the intake might help focus the look a bit? The white bit in between the two black areas is just a tad too big to be a glint?

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Great result with large (gulp) Academy (gasp) decals.

Actually Hasegawa but they weren't smart even for them, quite leathery & unyielding. I think you're right re the eyes, I'll ty that as a quick fix, likely the final fix too. :D

Steve.

Actually, looking at it again, maybe just overpaint the white in front of the intake? Then the intake hole no longer looks like part of the eyeball (it would be a black  lacrimal caruncle?) and your black pupil stays the same size but is the only pupil again? Hard to tell from a photo if that wouldn’t be a better fix.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Actually, looking at it again, maybe just overpaint the white in front of the intake? Then the intake hole no longer looks like part of the eyeball (it would be a black  lacrimal caruncle?) and your black pupil stays the same size but is the only pupil again? Hard to tell from a photo if that wouldn’t be a better fix.

Regards,

Adrian

I like the feel of that, it's been hard to identify just wasn't right about them & I think you might have hit the spot with that, I'll give it a go this arvo.

Thanks for the kind words & support, also @81-er , @Rabbit Leader , @PattheCat , @Old Man , @trickyrich , @zegeye & all who have given & likes & encouragement along the way.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 3:11 AM, stevehnz said:

Its got legs now, just some gear doors & fiddly little sticky out bits to do. I'm liking it more except the eyes, they might get a total repaint one day. Maybe? :shrug:

2022-12-06_10-47-51

Steve.

Scary good! Great choice of subject and well-executed.

• Thanks 1

Calling this done now, had a fair session last night of all those little bits that seem always to be left till last. I repainted the eyes sort of like @AdrianMF suggested & am much happier with them. Took some photos under better light this afternoon & they'll go into the gallery. Here is one to be going on with.

IMG_20221208_163239

Steve.

• Like 9

Sorry, I didn't notice your last post until today.

The repainted eyes look real good.

You may be especially proud of this one. Just placing these dragons decals right is an achievement in itself.

Regards.

Pat

• Thanks 1