Where can I get a handle to fit on end of junior hacksaw blade ?

Merlin

Hi,

I have need to insert junior hacksaw blade (6inch x 6mm) into a hole and saw, so need handle on it.

I see those for its larger variant the 10 inch or so long ones with holes in the ends, such for the 6inch long blades are wanted, bit I cant find one, or another means of inserting a metal cutting blade into a 6.4mm square hole and start sawing the metal (thin steel PC case).

How do we use the smaller hacksaw blades to cut through items when the end needs placing into the item ?

Merlin

It doesn't seem as though there is much out there, as you've already sussed. The 10" blades are deeper standard type blades afaics, just shorter. Maybe wrapping several layers of duct tape around one end would give enough grip if you don't go too hard at it. Build your own handle by slicing down a piece of slim dowel & clamping it tight with a hose clamp? Just a couple of things that could work.

Steve.

On 27/10/2022 at 19:54, Merlin said:

How do we use the smaller hacksaw blades to cut through items when the end needs placing into the item ?

Have you considered a  jigsaw with a metal cutting blade?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2022 at 19:54, Merlin said:

I spotted a pad saw in the tool box today,  while looking that up, I saw this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Mini-Hacksaw-20-807/dp/B0001IW5VI

41eSFH3sixL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I'm wondering if I/we have been missing a vital clue here, Gizmos like Troy shows above use standard or shortened standard hacksaw blades. As I understand it, what Merlin is after is a junior hacksaw blade which is only 6mm deep & has a pin through each end to fit into a holder. I have one in my workshop, the holder is bent from a single piece of steel rod, with slotted ends for the blade to fit into. I push down on one end to release the blade. Maybe one of the larger diameter Xacto type handles would take one of these blades with the end snapped off so removing the mounting pins & giving a slim straight saw blade? 

Steve.

• Like 1

I had a similar quandary when I needed a handle for my Lion Roar photo-etched razor saw blades.  The solution was to take it to my local ironmongers and explain what I needed, and we tried different options until we found one that fitted.  Turns out there's a retracting holder from Stanley, like the ones carpet fitters use but much smaller, that suits it perfectly.  How that could be when they come from opposite sides of the world, I don't know, but I've been using it happily ever since.