1:72 Airfix/MPM Gloster Meteor F.8

Navy Bird

Time to get started! I've had this kit for quite some time, and even though it's been succeeded and exceeded by the new Airfix offering I decided to go ahead and build her anyway. I didn't take pictures of the sprues, etc. but I did purloin this image of the box top:

f8

Although it's not stated on the box, this is the MPM kit re-packaged by Airfix. The two marking schemes are from the Queen's Coronation Review flypast or so I'm told. That is not on the box top either, nor is it mentioned in the instruction booklet. In any case, I'm liking the 92 Squadron scheme as I have some kind of fascination with yellow and red checkers. Besides, looking at how Airfix would have you add the red checker decals to a painted yellow tail looks to be enough to drive one batty. No problem-o! I'm already batty so I won't "bat" an eyelash. And it's All Hallows Eve - what better time to be batty?    :)

I haven't done much yet. The cockpit tub, rear bulkhead, and turtledeck have been painted Tamiya NATO Black (actually a dark grey) as have the inside of the forward fuselage and the sidewalls (separate pieces). I find the the Tamiya paint is dead flat and very susceptible to damage from normal handling, so I always gloss coat it with a clear lacquer for protection. I have the Eduard photoetch detail set for this kit, and the bits for the cockpit tub are pretty sparse. The seat that comes with the kit is a caricature I think - however, I also had a Pavla resin Martin Baker Mk.II ejection seat complete with footrests. I think it will look better.

IMG_6600

The seat was painted with Mr. Hobby H12 Flat Black, and will of course get further painting and detailing. I like to have some contrast in these all-black interiors and I've found a black wash shows ups nicely on NATO Black, and the black seats and instrument/control panels also stand out. I've been gathering photos of the F.8 cockpit and the side consoles and sidewalls do look sparse - at least compared to more modern fighters. We'll do what we can, even if I have to add some colour via mythical details. As is typical of MPM/Special Hobby short run kits, where to glue the side consoles, rear bulkhead and turtledeck is a bit of a mystery. I chose locations that made the most sense when dry fitting everything together. Is it right? Beats me, but it does fit nicely.

I also finished the instrument panel using the Eduard photoetch but forgot take a picture. Probably because I'm old. Oddly, the lower instrument panel, consisting of six instruments, does not have a corresponding backing part like the main panel. Not sure what Eduard was thinking there. Anyway, I found some decals that match the six holes nicely and I used that as a backing part. Once I post a photo that should make more sense. Or not.   :doh:

Eduard provide some generic photoetch for the sides of the main gear bays, which are just smooth walls in the kit. These were attached with Gator Grip, and although there are some areas that are a bit taller than the plastic, they seem to fit in-between the halves of the wings without any fit problems.

IMG_6601

Like I said, I haven't done much. But there is not much to the kit, and even the Eduard set doesn't have a lot of parts. Hopefully, the very attractive paint and marking scheme will save this from being just another ho-hum model.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18

A great start Bill. 

I've been a big fan of Tamiya NATO Black too, but have recently discovered Revell Aqua Color "Anthracite" which is possibly even better!  It's easier to apply by brush (should you chose to), and is less susceptible to marking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome Bill, 92 Squadron is one of my favorites so looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

My Frankenlightning was also 92 Squadron...boy, I really wish Airfix had come out with their new Lightning kit before I built this crazy thing. Can't believe it was 10 years ago already...

9 hours ago, CliffB said:

I've been a big fan of Tamiya NATO Black too, but have recently discovered Revell Aqua Color "Anthracite" which is possibly even better!  It's easier to apply by brush (should you chose to), and is less susceptible to marking.

I haven't seen the Revell paint line over here yet. I've heard good things about it, so I'll have to keep looking. Someone must sell it.

42 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Nice to see you making a start, Bill :) I doubt this will be a ho-hum model given your skillset ;)

Thanks - hopefully this shouldn't take too long, as there are not a lot of parts. But I say that with every model! If I finish this quickly, maybe I'll start the CyberHobby F.3. That looks to be a much nicer kit than this one - but I have to say one thing. This MPM kit has the nicest looking plastic I've seen from them until just recently. It even has some alignment pegs for the fuselage and wings. Almost mainstream! I know the wings are too thick, and I'm sure there are some other issues, but I think she will end up looking rather dapper with those tail checkers!      :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

My Frankenlightning was also 92 Squadron...boy, I really wish Airfix had come out with their new Lightning kit before I built this crazy thing. Can't believe it was 10 years ago already...

I haven't seen the Revell paint line over here yet. I've heard good things about it, so I'll have to keep looking. Someone must sell it.

Thanks - hopefully this shouldn't take too long, as there are not a lot of parts. But I say that with every model! If I finish this quickly, maybe I'll start the CyberHobby F.3. That looks to be a much nicer kit than this one - but I have to say one thing. This MPM kit has the nicest looking plastic I've seen from them until just recently. It even has some alignment pegs for the fuselage and wings. Almost mainstream! I know the wings are too thick, and I'm sure there are some other issues, but I think she will end up looking rather dapper with those tail checkers!      :)

Cheers,

Bill

Id like to do a few more lightnings to, only have an F.3 right now. Revell paints are available at Hobby-town chain hobby shops in the states. Not Hobby lobby the craft store though. If I could mail the paints I could ship some to you I'm in Chicago. However the USPS is a bit particular with such items. 

• Like 1

I had a look around, and the Revell Aqua paints are available from Kitlinx for $3.77 a "box." Only four colours are out of stock. Amazon, of all places, have them as well (Revell GmbH actually have an Amazon store). I'll give some a try.

Cheers,

Bill

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Oh dear, I'm not sure I needed to know that 😉

I'm starting to think that Amazon is the last word in Google's mantra. "Do no evil."

OK, time for some dumb questions. The Meteor that I'm modelling was painted with HSS, correct? As opposed to being natural metal? If the former is right, has anyone used Alclad HSS? I seem to have a few bottles of it that I don't recall buying (which happens all the time - it's how I ended up with two Big Ed sets for the SM.79.)

Cheers,

Bill

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Oh dear, I'm not sure I SWMBO needed to know that 😉

Fixed it for you.  ;) 

Chair pulled up!, I have the 'default' Airfix MPM rebox in the stash on which I just sprayed the interior black and some aluminium on the nacelles / gear bays. 

Cheers,

Andre

3 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm starting to think that Amazon is the last word in Google's mantra. "Do no evil."

OK, time for some dumb questions. The Meteor that I'm modelling was painted with HSS, correct? As opposed to being natural metal? If the former is right, has anyone used Alclad HSS? I seem to have a few bottles of it that I don't recall buying (which happens all the time - it's how I ended up with two Big Ed sets for the SM.79.)

Cheers,

Bill

Though I’m far from an expert on the Meteor, Im pretty positive it would have been in HSS. 

I think all "natural metal" RAF aircraft were HSS for corrosion protection. We are known for the weather being somewhat damp 🌧️🌧️:rain:We know summer's on the way as the rain gets warmer

James

• Haha 6

Thanks mates. I did a test spray of Alclad HSS (which is not listed on their website for some reason) and it must have been a bad bottle. Usually Alclad dries very quickly and this stuff was literally still liquid a few hours later. What I ended up with was quite grainy as well, and I don't care for that look. Oh well, back to my usual suspects.

MPM managed to put some ejector pin marks inside the intakes, so I had to fill and sand those. Plus, the wing leading edge sections that can be seen inside the intakes had some serious sink holes which required filling. To be fair, it would be difficult to see any of that once it's assembled, but hey - you know me.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. In the process of modifying the headrest on that resin ejection seat. What I have is too tall based on the pictures I have.

• Like 5

On 10/27/2022 at 9:26 AM, Navy Bird said:

I remember when you built that kit! I bought everything you mentioned in the thread, and then Airfix came out with their Lighting. Of course.

On 10/28/2022 at 7:12 PM, Navy Bird said:

Thanks mates. I did a test spray of Alclad HSS (which is not listed on their website for some reason) and it must have been a bad bottle. Usually Alclad dries very quickly and this stuff was literally still liquid a few hours later. What I ended up with was quite grainy as well, and I don't care for that look. Oh well, back to my usual suspects.

I have two bottles of it and found both to be rather grainy as well. Most disappointing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hook said:

'Some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree' - Tom Waits.

"You can't be in the middle when you're sleeping with a Siamese twin" - Stanard Ridgway.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3

Not much to report. I've used the Eduard photoetch instrument panel, and then took a really lousy photo. Take my word for it - it's black.

IMG_6602

There was no film for the six gauges at the bottom so I found a decal that kinda sorta lined up. It's glued to the back side still on its paper backing. At actual size it doesn't look too bad. When I finish the cockpit and take a photo, you'll get a better idea of what it looks like with Mk. I eyeballs.

Next, I added some greeblies to the front of the engines. I found a photo on-line that shows the basic arrangement. Surprisingly, MPM got the outlines basically correct (or at least they matched this photo) when they moulded a flat engine face with some raised shapes. I painted the inside of the intakes with Alclad Aluminum (no, I'm not going to try and make the intakes seamless). Here is the general idea:

IMG_6604

I added three bits from the spares box to each engine face, aligning them with the corresponding shape on the kit part. I sprayed the engine faces Alclad Magnesium, and gave them a couple of black Future washes. The greeblies give it some 3D even though once everything is assembled you won't be able to see much. You can also see the wing spars or leading edge that pass in front of the engines. If these parts are supposed to be the same size as the wing itself, they are undersize by a lot (the wing is thicker). However, I think they'll look OK. I may (or may not) add some wire to the engines to simulate the hoses that are apparent in my photo. This one:

mk 8 engine face

Now, the ejection seat. I've decided that the resin seat that I have is incorrect for the Mk. 8 Meteor. The headrest is all wrong, as are some of the other details and it's too tall (won't fit under the canopy). I'm doing a test right now where I'm adding all the Eduard etch to the kit seat. I'm not sure I'll like it, but I'll post a photo and you all can tell me whether to use it or not.

I  glued the main gear bays to the upper wing and test fit the wings together. No problems, although I did have to sand down the edges of the engine faces a bit.

64 pound question: Intake lips - big hole or small hole for WK799? MPM give you both, but the Airfix instructions (a poor mimeograph of the MPM instructions) don't say which one to use. They're just shown as "options." What a useful instruction - as if I would try to use them both!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

64 pound question: Intake lips - big hole or small hole for WK799? MPM give you both, but the Airfix instructions (a poor mimeograph of the MPM instructions) don't say which one to use. They're just shown as "options." What a useful instruction - as if I would try to use them both!     :)

1667493531737-a278323f-b035-44c8-bdc0-dcceed53c455

Looks like a wide-mouthed Meteor to me, which was usual for WKxxx-serialled aircraft.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Looks like a wide-mouthed Meteor to me, which was usual for WKxxx-serialled aircraft.

Thanks - Big Mouth Bass it is. Of course, the decal application page of the Airfix instructions show a drawing with the small opening. Good thing I don't trust instructions. Say, what book is that photo from?

Here is the tarted up kit seat for now:

IMG_6608

IMG_6609

Any good? I'm not sold on it yet. I cut the foot rests off of the resin seat and stuck them on the kit seat. Here are some shots of the pit:

IMG_6610

IMG_6611

Maybe this will work as I think I've leave the canopy closed. Let's face it, this isn't anything at all like a Meteor cockpit. Best to hide it. The instructions call for 3g of weight up front, and that is exactly what is in the nose. I don't trust the instructions nor my "never mind the thumb" postal scale. I'll add more weight behind the tub.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14