need help locating references for buoys/channel markers for 1942 HMS Exeter diorama

Bill Haff

Hello! I am a new member, located in America, fond of WWII era Royal Navy ships. I'm currently building Niko's 1/700 1942 HMS Exeter. I've created a sea base for her that I'm very happy with, EXCEPT for the fact that I ended up with a little too much open ocean at one end.

I want to balance my presentation by adding some kind of floating channel marker or buoy to this empty spot. However I have not a clue how to locate a reference for an historically plausible artifact. The fact that I'm American and not British might be a further disadvantage. What little I know of naval history I've gleaned from reading building logs and online boards on US sites.

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Bill Haff

Ojai, California USA

58 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The system shown here is the IALA buoyage system which wasn't introduced until 1977.  

Bill, you don't mention whether your ship is underway or at anchor, and that would have an effect on which markers you would likely see around the vessel.  If the ship is within channel markers, that would imply being in inshore waters, approaching or leaving port etc. and that would affect any flags being flown; i.e. not having the battle flag hoisted and possibly only the white ensign on the stern post.  If at anchor then, depending on location, there may be a single anchor buoy, or even nothing at all.

How about just addiing a sea boat, possibly taking the captain over to another vessel or to shore?   I would recommend searching for wartime images of vessels at sea or at anchor, just to identify what might be in the vicinity.

cheers,
Mike

26 minutes ago, bootneck said:

The system shown here is the IALA buoyage system which wasn't introduced until 1977.  

True, but it was minimum change to equipment and based on previous systems, and as far as I'm aware 1930's channel markers in English waters would differ very little (bar the electronics and modern lighting todays markers carry)

• Like 1