Airfix 1/72 Sd. Kfz 234/4

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Indeed could be. Afaik they were also responsible for the blue Matilda…

When you say "Blue Matilda" were you thinking of this by any chance?

DSC00524

The colour called "silver grey" in the Caunter scheme has only fairly recently been generally accepted to be a greenish colour not far removed from RAF Sky. Before that a lot of illustrations showed showed a light blue as above and in fact there is some evidence that a few may have indeed used blue perhaps from either RAF or RN paint stocks though that is open to debate. The darker "blue" is also non standard as it should I suspect actually be slate, as in the A13 in the foreground of this pic of some Millicast kits I built a while back in the "Anything but Injection" GB.

DSC04854-crop

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The top one is light stone, the middle is portland stone/very dark brown SCC1A (or maybe khaki green No 3) and silver grey. and the lower one the same but with slate - all Colourcoats paint.

Pete

On 11/11/2022 at 19:30, Marklo said:

colour difference

I have about six tanks still from my youth, including a Matilda, and a bunch of figures, but no aircraft. If I can find it I’ll check what colours I painted it. If it isn’t right I can always say it faded over the past forty-odd years!

On 16/11/2022 at 21:46, The Spadgent said:

no wings

Shocking isn’t it! And the second time this year…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2022 at 6:37 PM, AdrianMF said:

I will fix the famous mudguard issue

I dug out my Airfix Magazine guide no.3 Military Modelling which has (simple) 1:76 plans and a brief article on the corrections necessary - let me know if you want a copy of the relevant pages, Adrian.

Nige

Edited by Galligraphics

On 27/01/2023 at 14:23, JOCKNEY said:

Any progress on this one Adrian?

This weekend, I promise! It's been a while but I still remember where I put it.

On 27/01/2023 at 14:23, JOCKNEY said:

unusual colour of plastic

It's the modern "classic" repop. Much more orange than the old sand plastic.

3 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

let me know if you want a copy of the relevant pages, Adrian

Thanks Nige but I think I've got enough references to muddle through off t'web.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after much fiddling around, I've now got a reasonably busy, somewhat less accurate, fighting compartment, courtesy of the Dragon 1/35 scale kit instructions:

690382-AD-5-FCD-4-BE7-85-DD-0-A22080347-

It's an improvement on the kit, which gives you a box, two slabs to mount the gun on and a random steering wheel.

I have to try to wrap this up today and tomorrow because I learned on Wednesday that I may be having an operation on Tuesday, depending on whether they find anything on the scan I had yesterday; if so I won't be out of hospital until the end of the GB.

• Like 6

Ooh! I just took delivery of the getting-hard-to-find Dragon Sd.Kfz. 234/1 (2cm) in 1/35. They're quite the vehicle in either scale, aren't they?

An op? Surely grounds for a late submission to the gallery. Good luck with both.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all - it turns out that I'm going to have an invasive scan, so I have to stay in hospital for a few days afterwards so they can check I'm OK, and I might have an operation depending on the results of my tests and scans. All very future conditional!

So the 234 will be landing in rolling on to Armour WIP when I get out.

Cheers,

Adrian

• Like 5

Well, it turned out that I had a scan that showed nothing to operate on and so went home and felt very sore for a couple of days!

Got back to this today and started on the mudguards:

20-A67456-78-E9-4-AD2-A256-54-BC1-F51-D9

47-E66-E29-AB18-42-C2-AED5-A12242-AA3745

If I treat it like a blitzbuild from here on in it should get done on time. Wheels to paint while waiting for that lot to set.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Not sure if that’s good news or bad

Bad, in that it doesn't offer a quick fix to what I've got, but it means that we can look at other alternatives. In the meantime I can work and model, but I can't do shopping, DIY or housework!

And here's a dead one:

71-ACA42-D-8-AE6-4-D30-B62-E-D1-B8-E393-
Note:

(1) front wheels will be steered

(2) hatches will be open

(3) scratch-built leaf spring after the real one sprang. Quicker to make a simple copy as it will be largely hidden behind wheels and under mudguards. It will turn up, eventually.

(4) the plastic card with a notch is a quick template to cut all those pieces under the mudguard. Align a corner in the notch, then chop the other two sides along the edges of the template.

• Like 6

I've had a good day, I think, and got to here:

A1-CA9-FE4-E439-40-A2-B058-91440-A6578-A

I was dreading the vague hub-tyre boundary but in the end I got them done in under an hour by twiddling them round on a cocktail stick and keeping the brush relatively still. There was only one round of hub touch up, which is good by my standards (normally followed by a round of tyre touch up, etc). The ones with the best backs will go on the outside axles.

I will add the wheels after weathering the chassis.

Tomorrow I need to detail and add the gun, add tools and locker doors to the mudguards, add a bumper, headlights and width thingies, paint, weather and assemble. Sounds a lot but should be doable.

• Like 6