Airfix 1/72 Sd. Kfz 234/4

I’m going to build this one in all its Vintage Classic -er- glory:

EC5-BC035-0-B92-42-EC-814-A-F53-CA11084-

I will fix the famous mudguard issue and make other changes when and where it amuses me. Definitely “building the kit”, not “creating an accurate replica”. As the old Irish joke goes,I wouldn’t start from here!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 20

6 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

As the old Irish joke goes,I wouldn’t start from here

As an Irishman I resemble that remark…

I built this one so many times as a kid I’m looking forward to seeing it built. Of course you need to build the matchbox  puma to go with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Marklo said:

As an Irishman I resemble that remark…

I’ve often thought it showcases fine Irish philosophy and wisdom. I have uttered that line many times when I’ve had my project manager hat on…

I only built this once as a kid, and remember it being resplendent in green plastic with patches of Humbrol #2 gloss Emerald Green!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I’m going to build this one in all its Vintage Classic -er- glory:

Definitely “building the kit”, not “creating an accurate replica”. As the old Irish joke goes,I wouldn’t start from here!

Regards,

Adrian

That's the ticket, Adrian. Nicely phrased.

• Thanks 1

Here is the kit:

A9-EB7-CF9-1-B04-4734-B9-B0-52-BF3-C5-A9

It’s all feeling a bit tired and flashy, but I suspect it probably wasn’t any better in its heyday (although the plastic would have been a nice green colour). The wheels will be an interesting challenge to paint neatly, having no discernible hub/tyre definition.

(edit) the tool dates from 1964, so in all fairness it was one of their earlier forays into AFVs.

• Like 12

At least your barrel is reasonably straight. First one I've seen that's not bent. And I've never understood why Airfix chose to mould the access doors on each side separately, other than to increase the parts count. Did anyone ever do anything other than glue them closed? 😀

I still think the crew figures are good, despite being overscale. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 12:59 AM, AdrianMF said:

Here is the kit:

A9-EB7-CF9-1-B04-4734-B9-B0-52-BF3-C5-A9

It’s all feeling a bit tired and flashy, but I suspect it probably wasn’t any better in its heyday (although the plastic would have been a nice green colour). The wheels will be an interesting challenge to paint neatly, having no discernible hub/tyre definition.

(edit) the tool dates from 1964, so in all fairness it was one of their earlier forays into AFVs.

Looks like the "Wertherpanzer" Airfix MkIV I built a few years ago, moulded from the finest toffee 😀

I've only ever built one of these, in a Type 3 plastic bag as a Saturday buy from Woolworths. 

I glued bits of foliage from the garden into it - using tube glue...

John 

• Like 4

On 26/10/2022 at 19:35, Robert Stuart said:

I, too, built this kit, back when the plastic was dark green.

I built it sometime in the late 60's.  Built in half a day, left it green with gloss black tyres.  Happy days.

• Like 4

I must confess I am torn with this one; it has all the attributes of a quickie mojo restorer, but I keep asking myself questions like how the 8-wheel steering worked (symmetrical?proportional??) and how much detail I can add from the Dragon or (more realistically) the Italeri instructions. 

I’m feeling a bit rum today too, because I seem to have had a big reaction to my #4 covid booster yesterday

I will just have to start chopping some card and see where I end up…

It’s always good to have a plan.

• Like 2

Well mojo restoration seems to be the order of the day:

DEAC4139-FB64-4320-931-A-D0-CC138454-F4.

I always forget how tiny 1/72 AFVs are next to aeroplanes, and the kit so far is falling together, despite my earlier misgivings. I will be fixing the mudguards and will have a look at busying it up a little round the gun mount.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 11

Every time I see this one I keep thinking someone’s photoshopped in that plastic colour. It must be bad for the eyes in real life. 

I almost bought one of these on Thursday had it in my hand and then went all rational and put it back on the shelf. Still I got my meteor and. P47 hmmmm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I must confess I am torn with this one; it has all the attributes of a quickie mojo restorer, but I keep asking myself questions like how the 8-wheel steering worked (symmetrical?proportional??) and how much detail I can add from the Dragon or (more realistically) the Italeri instructions. 

The Sd.Kfz. 234 series of armoured cars used two steering wheels, in normal driving conditions the driver steered using the front steering wheel that operated the front four wheels.  The other steering wheel, at the back of the crew compartment operated the rear four wheels and was locked in the neutral position.  If the vehicle was reversing or maneuvering the rear wheels can be unlocked and use either all eight wheel steering or the front four wheels are locked in a neutral position and the vehicle steered by the rear steering wheel controlling the rear four wheels.

With my Dragon kits, if the steering linkages are left off, all the wheels can be left positional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

in normal driving conditions

Thanks Bob! Very informative - I was thinking about having all eight wheels offset but it looks like just having the front four at an angle would be more typical.

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

It must be bad for the eyes in real life. 

If you can get past the colour it’s actually a really well fitting kit!

And here’s proof:

4-DE70-C36-5347-4322-B063-F6412-DC29-DBB

The armour sections fit together seamlessly* and I’ve managed to hollow out the gun cradle to a U shape from the solid moulded block of plastic.

* by 1970s standards…

• Like 9

I'm still trying to get my head around the mudguards issue. It's a 234-series vehicle, with the mudguards from the earlier 231-series (8-rad). What makes it even more bizarre is that there was no 231-series variant with the Pak-40. Well, it was the 1960s. Who knows what they were smoking in Haldane Place in deepest, darkest Wandsworth?

A pity, because having built it myself upon a time, my memory too is that the major components all fit together well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With regards to the well known error Airfix made on this kit I have had a thought. Whilst doing a bit of research I came across a photo of a 234/4 in the Tank Museum many years ago - the mudguards had been removed "to show the suspension". I wonder if Airfix saw this, copied the hull and gun, and then jumped to the wrong conclusion about the mudguards?

Pete

• Like 3