I could (and should) have built this in the F-15 Anniversary GB.   However, at the time that GB started, I hadn't started the re-organisation of The Stash so I wasn't aware that I had this kit.  :wall: 

The reorganisation has revealed a number of gems that I couldn't recall that I had.  I could build this one here or wait till next year and build it in the Japanese Classic Kits GB.   This kit is from 1974.

spacer.png

It is the original boxing of the first Hasegawa F-15 kit.  It (sort of) represents the prototype aircraft, with a short airbrake.  The kit was retooled and reboxed frequently throughout the 70s and 80s.  Hasegawa then released a new tool kit in 1988 but have still repopped this one, the latest being in 2008 (according to Scalemates). 

I can't recall when I bought this kit.  It certainly would not have been since my return to the hobby in 2004 as there were better kits around at that time.  I imagine it was some time in the early 80s, which means this kit will have spent three decades in The Deep Stash.  

Definitely time to build it.  :) 

• Like 8

The parts have very fine raised lines.

As you can see, the airbrake is short, making it suitable for a prototype aircraft.

spacer.png

The wingtips are square, which was another mark of the prototype.  However, the tailplanes have the dogtooth leading edge, typical of production aircraft.

spacer.png

The kit has no representation of Bay 5 behind the cockpit.  It does have the canopy frame moulded so at first glance the canopy can be positioned open.  Until you look at the transparent part, which is in one piece.  Odd.

spacer.png

• Like 4

The cockpit is minimal, as one would expect from a '74 vintage kit.  So let's see if I can bung an Aires resin cockpit in there!

I opened up Bay 5.  The prototype aircraft did not have the large avionics boxes on the port wall of Bay 5, so I quickly mocked up a bare wall from plastic card and used some U-channel scrap to produce the mounting racks on the floor.   I won't bother replacing the kit instrument panel and coaming with resin parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cockpt was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-033 Dark Gull Grey.   Bay 5 was sprayed with a mix of Lifecolor UA-147 blue grey with a couple of drops of Vallejo 70.838 Emerald. 

I tried using the instrument panel decal from the kit but it disintegrated immediately on contact with water! 😮  Instead I used some scrap decal sections from a Hasegawa Phantom.

spacer.png

• Like 6

While it would have been fine in the F-15 STGB and also next year's Classic Japanese Kits GB it's equally valid here. Besides that you'll likely find plenty more eligible kits within your Deep Stash by the time the latter event starts :lol:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Col. said:

Besides that you'll likely find plenty more eligible kits within your Deep Stash by the time the latter event starts :lol:

That's true.  The Deep Stash doesn't exist anymore as it got amalgamated with The Main Stash about six years ago.  Now it's just called The Stash.  Or sometimes The Beautiful Stash.  :lol:  

The Deep Stash has already yielded some wonderful vintage items.  Two of them wll be eminently suitable for The Italian Job 🇮🇹 classic GB next year.  There are quite a few suitable for 🐸 Squad II in 2024, one of which is a 🐸 Hunter in its original box!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage closed up and nose cone fitted.

spacer.png

Close up of the cockpit.

spacer.png

The intakes have no representation of the moving ramps, so I mocked them up using the upper parts from the drooped intakes in the Academy kit.

spacer.png

Not looking bad for an early kit.

spacer.png

• Like 12

Intakes faired in.  Wings fitted.   The tailplanes have had the dogtooth filled in with plastic card.

spacer.png

The canopy and windscreen is a single part, so I carefully sawed the windscreen off and fitted it.  The windscreen and cockpit were then masked.

spacer.png

... and the model was primed.

spacer.png

• Like 8

I decided to spray the orange first.  The decal sheet instructions say this is International Orange, so I used Lifecolor UA-829.  This is intended to represent British Rail Railfreight Red, but it is the best straight-from-the-bottle match for International Orange that I have seen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

The orange areas have been masked off.

spacer.png

I followed the decal instruction sheet for the lines of the intake side areas.  It was only after I had sprayed the blue that saw a photo of the real thing.  The orange area is somewhat shorter, so I will need to rectify that.  Not a difficult job.  :) 

spacer.png

The Air Superiority Blue is Lifecolor UA-037

spacer.png

• Like 15

On 11/10/2022 at 6:13 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The decal sheet instructions say this is International Orange, so I used Lifecolor UA-829

A very useful bit of information, as I am working my way through Edwards test aircraft there is a fair bit of International Orange to be painted and this will save me having to mix my own. Why nobody actually makes a dedicated paint for it is beyond me considering some of the more esoteric colours that are available.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 5:50 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I could (and should) have built this in the F-15 Anniversary GB.   However, at the time that GB started, I hadn't started the re-organisation of The Stash so I wasn't aware that I had this kit.  :wall: 

The reorganisation has revealed a number of gems that I couldn't recall that I had.  I could build this one here or wait till next year and build it in the Japanese Classic Kits GB.   This kit is from 1974.

Just got round to looking at this build thread - suppose at this point it would be appropriate to say "Spreadsheet"!😆 Joking aside my son has just found a copy of my stash listing he made 12 years ago which we thought we had lost during one of the several changes of computer, resulting in me remembering my Arado 234. Anyway, it is looking good Enzo.

Pete

• Thanks 1

That's brightened up the usually plain colours of this type B) 

4 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

It was only after I had sprayed the blue that saw a photo of the real thing.  The orange area is somewhat shorter, so I will need to rectify that.  Not a difficult job.  :) 

Is there a chance the marking portions changed during the type's evaluation?

On 18/11/2022 at 20:51, Col. said:

Is there a chance the marking portions changed during the type's evaluation?

It's possible.  The photo I found shows the aircraft on its first flight.

spacer.png

Photo from Wikipedia.  Public domain.

So I tweaked the edges of the orange areas.  I also repainted the leading edges of the wings, fins and tailplanes.   I think we're just about ready for the decals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Between this & @stevej60's YF-16 build, I think I've discovered a couple of needs.  :whistle:

Let me add to your burden...   :fool:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56683-f18-hornet-prototype-hasegawa-172/

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

it hasn't got enough red on it

You want stuff with red (or orange) on it?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CD72106?result-token=atCgp

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CD72102?result-token=atCgp

And now I think I've just talked myself into a project.  :wall:   Maybe we should extend the Prototypes GB for six months...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

..And now I think I've just talked myself into a project.  :wall:   Maybe we should extend the Prototypes GB for six months...

Yes! :bounce: :yahoo: Ahem, I mean, if you really insist I could perhaps find the time to continue :D 

• Like 2