The Battleship 'Dunkerque' by HobbyBoss 1/350

Faraway

With thanks to @S-boat 55 who gave me a nudge. I'm going to start on Dunkerque, it'll make a nice change from the small craft I've been doing of late.

Also, it'll free up a bit of space on my stash shelf, being nearly 3' long.

Here she is next to my last build, the Landing Craft Support, just a little difference in size.

The first task will be to drill out the scuttles.

p?i=a2320669cbb38e7a5e61b7b682747cb5

See you all in a few days, there are a lot of holes to drill.

Jon

• Like 15

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! AT LAST!!!!!!!!!

I shall follow a long for sure,

I'm struggling to not buy her sister to do at the same time as you now, but I have so much left in the stash I really shouldn't,

While I think of it don't forget to pre drill the bits in the deck before you stick it down, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

You've a veritable shipyard going on here Jon...excellent.

Stuart

Not sure about a shipyard, more like a ###### fleet.

Jom

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! AT LAST!!!!!!!!!

I shall follow a long for sure,

I'm struggling to not buy her sister to do at the same time as you now, but I have so much left in the stash I really shouldn't,

While I think of it don't forget to pre drill the bits in the deck before you stick it down, 

😂😂😂😂 I have your WIP as my ‘go to’ guide.

Jon

• Like 1

I'm doing my usual flitting about, so.....

Metal barrels fixed.

p?i=5e095836e8104278d6a300bc66d3ef83

While I waited for the hull paint to dry.

p?i=ada9423805f48202c6d2209de3913ad7

I'll remark it prior to fitting the deck.

Jon

• Like 9

13 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Good stsrt, quick as always, what colours you using Jon?

I’m probably going to incur the wrath of everybody, sorry, but I’m using the following Colourcoats paint. For the hull and other vertical surfaces I’m using NARN20 Home Fleet Grey 507A/507B, for the steel decks I’m using US10 Deck Blue 20B.

Jon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I’m probably going to incur the wrath of everybody, sorry, but I’m using the following Colourcoats paint. For the hull and other vertical surfaces I’m using NARN20 Home Fleet Grey 507A/507B, for the steel decks I’m using US10 Deck Blue 20B.

Jon

To be fair I don't think you can go wrong, she wore dark grey from 1940 onwards if I recall and was still in that when she was scuttled in 42'. From what I found no one really knows what shades the French navy used other than generic terms like dark, mid or light greys as the records were lost during the war. Means you can largely guess and not be wrong. The one ship to the contrary would be Richelieu whilst she was waring US paints towards the end of the war. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Jon - do you eat and sleep?

Rob ;)

wrath????  (deck blue!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Eating ? Most definitely !

Sleeping ? Not as much as I used to, to be honest it’s true what is said. As you get older you don’t sleep so much, not because you don’t want to, but because you can’t.

Do you think I’m wrong with the deck colour ?

The colour chart would have me use Humbrol 77 which supposedly is Tamiya XF-50, although it’s nothing like, XF-17 is closer.

So I chose Colourcoats US10 Deck Blue 20B, which is much closer.

I’m open to suggestions.
Jon

• Like 1

Bit of PE on the funnel

p?i=eb12771f938167bb1d34f6fdec03d700

One of four 'training' guns

p?i=4568ea09a7d3534aef6735b1b5d8a68f

And in position on the turret

p?i=29412d6b589353d7cf115187635c8345

Wooden deck in place and some of the steel decks painted.

p?i=7d4bc42f82cdefd4a32d6e20e871acfd

Brass tramlines.

p?i=562449d1bd6fd1d2072fde1043264757

• Like 10

Nice tramlines Jon, did they come with the deck? If so who's deck have you used?

Word of caution re following my work in progress thread from reading around her sister Strasbourg (certainly nor because I've bought it 🙂 )  this morning I've realised I've made a couple of mistakes on my dunkerque........ I think!?

I went for a 1942 fit on mine, just before she was scuttled, however I'm pretty sure on dunkerque the training guns either side of B turret had been removed and the two twin aa guns on forward (01) deck had moved up to the corner of 02 deck. The reference book I used actually says all the training guns were disembarked in spring 1940 but four are there summer 40' and two are certainly there in 1942. Sorry not sure that helps much but thought I'd flag it

Sam

• Like 1

@S-boat 55 Sam. The deck was from ARTWOX, also included with it is a length of chain, a breakwater in front of the forward turret, capping for the stern railings (that’ll be fun to fit) and railings for the rest of the deck.

Regards your warning, I’ve ordered the same book you have, although heaven knows when that’ll arrive given the Post Office strikes.
I’m going to plod on as per the instructions. 

Jon

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Faraway said:

@S-boat 55 Sam. The deck was from ARTWOX, also included with it is a length of chain, a breakwater in front of the forward turret, capping for the stern railings (that’ll be fun to fit) and railings for the rest of the deck.

Regards your warning, I’ve ordered the same book you have, although heaven knows when that’ll arrive given the Post Office strikes.
I’m going to plod on as per the instructions. 

Jon

I'll look out artwox for strasbourg then, the capping might be handy  it was a faff using styrene strip

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

the capping might be handy 

I’m thinking to add it to the railing, before the railings go onto the deck. Otherwise the curve might (won’t) not be the same.

Jon

• Like 1

Still here, and making slow but good progress.

The PE breakwater.

p?i=2c8c9459267343db6204711d2b7a61d5

Main guns turrets

p?i=38cf41769671b322d5b54e101f4881f2

First bit of the superstructure, ready to paint.

p?i=997633913fff85410c8f22a199e6aa9e

Didn't notice the bent railing until now, bit of straightening needed.

Jon

• Like 14

9 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

The breakwater looks great, the joins look very clean, what did you use? 

The wooden deck had a slot cut through it, into which the breakwater fitted.

So I heated the breakwater to take the spring out of it, then rolled it to as close to the shape. I then glued one end into the slot with CA, once it had dried I gently persuaded the rest into the slot and applied more CA
The small uprights were then pushed into the deck slots with a bit of CA on them.

And there you have it.

Jon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2