32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Think thats odd check out Miss Ashley II

Wow! Would love to see a picture of that one!

Fancy building that one Stuart? 🤪

T.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you Dennis. Awesome looking, but I do wonder whether these customisations overstretch the performance envelope, given what happened to that one!

So Stuart, you just need a P-51D, the back of a P-51H, some Lear jet wings, A Griffon Nose with some Shackleton Props (probably on a Griffon Spitfire nose) and some Sabre horizontal stabs and your there!

T.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thank you Dennis. Awesome looking, but I do wonder whether these customisations overstretch the performance envelope, given what happened to that one!

So Stuart, you just need a P-51D, the back of a P-51H, some Lear jet wings, A Griffon Nose with some Shackleton Props (probably on a Griffon Spitfire nose) and some Sabre horizontal stabs and your there!

T.

Oh yes they do look at Tsunami in the late 1980’s it was even more heavily modified. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami_(aircraft)

However that is why they do what they do, unlimited racers try to push the envelope so far, sometimes they just push past it. Kind of makes me think of Edwards AFB in the 40’s and 50’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

A little more done...

20221208-121457.jpg

Airframe and undercarriage doors were primed and painted black ready for Alclad. Undercarriage painted with Tamiya AS-12 and tyres painted with AK NATO black. My modelling buddie delivered the 3D spinners, works better than the earlier version. These were lightly sanded to get rid of the minimal striations, primed and painted white. The propeller blades are in the process of being painted but have been primed, given a white base for the yellow tips before being painted black.

Stuart

• Like 9

Looking at the orange fuselage decals and the orange wings, it occurred to me that 'orange' of both should be a close match. After experimenting with white, grey and black primers, followed by Mr Color's Orange, the results showed that a base colour  between the grey and white was needed, :hmmm:. So, after I tried a silver base before the orange and that turned out be pretty damn close. So,

20221212-092002.jpg

A gloss black base and Alclad Polished Aluminium got us here but I now needed to mask for for further painting and I have heard that masking over Alclad has its risks. I didn't want to risk that, so Awesome will have a coat gloss varnish before masking.

20221215-092917.jpg

Photos of Awesome show white parts at the tail end, so that's what it got. That gloss coat looks like it has knocked back the lustre of the polished aluminium :hmmm:.

20221215-092940.jpg

Mr Color's orange is on and looks good, decals will tell. Next will be the removal of the masking and see if  the polished aluminium is 'polished' :shrug:. If it's not, it looks like another round of masking to do the Alclad again. 

Can anybody tell me if I can decal straight onto Alclad?

Stuart

• Like 5

Very nice work. What gloss did you seal the alclad with? I think there's always going to be some loss of shine, but some glosses work better than others I believe. The high shine Alclads can be very delicate in my limited experience, so sealing sensible. Again with decalling, I've heard that one can do it, but I'd certainly try your decal solution on a test piece first.

Some great 'I think I remember a guy's cousin's dog once told me' knowledge there for you :)

Andy 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Can anybody tell me if I can decal straight onto Alclad?

I have in the past yes but the decals didn't age well and now look bad. Since then I've used a coat of Future which, while taking something away from the pure metallic sheen of the paint, ensure the decals look fine over time.

• Like 1

@Ngantek @Col. Cheers guys. As both of you have said, caution seems to be the underlining answer. Also, it's normally accepted that decals are sealed in with a gloss coat afterwards, so if I repaint the Alclad, after sealing will put me back to square one...I'm leaning towards leaving everything as-is :shrug:.

Stuart

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Courageous said:

@Ngantek @Col. Cheers guys. As both of you have said, caution seems to be the underlining answer. Also, it's normally accepted that decals are sealed in with a gloss coat afterwards, so if I repaint the Alclad, after sealing will put me back to square one...I'm leaning towards leaving everything as-is :shrug:.

Stuart

Yeah for sure. You could have a looksee when the masks come off, (it looks fantastic in the pre mask photos), but that's my inclination for sure. 

One thing britmodeller is no help on, is that all these detailed photos often don't do justice to the effect you get when viewing them with the naked eye. Your Napier was a really clear indication of that for me, it looks very sharp in photos, but absolutely flawless in person. Basically I'm saying is don't get too carried away with the self-flagellation, it looks really great. 

Another thought I had about the decals, you could try using the apply (/sort of auto sealed) with thinned klear that many have suggested here. I suspect Aquagloss is much the same stuff so you could try with that instead. Speaking of which, I stumbled on this video a while a go, comparing how some different glosses affect the shine of the 'polished' alclads

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, Ngantek said:

I stumbled on this video

Thanks for that Andy.

Anyways...

20221220-091346.jpg

Masking removed revealing this. Not to bad but I'm not going to mask-up again to fix a couple of spots.

20221220-095442.jpg

And the decals go on with no problems. A little 'Sol' applied to settle them into the panel lines. Forgot to paint the undercarriage doors orange, so that's my next job and then apply decals to them.

Stuart

• Like 12

@Malc2, cheers  matey, I've never seen one on the show circuit.

With festivities drifting away, it's a little time at the bench...

20221228-141858.jpg

Blades had their black pint added and now fitted into the 3D printed spinner. Undercarriage doors got their coat of orange before apply the stencils, let them dry a bit before cutting the excess decal film away. Next step is tackling the undercarriage.

Stuart

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After getting a little mojo back, thought I'd give myself a KUTA and get this finished. Undercarriage fitted, then the wheels, then the undercarriage doors and finally, the fitting of the propeller. Overall, I'm quite happy with what I've done and how it's turned out.

20230112-102455.jpg

Job done.

With 'Awesome' done, it's time to get back to F6C floatplane :S.

Stuart

• Like 10