Matchbox 1/12 Vincent Black Shadow

This is my most challenging build to date. The kit itself is easily Matchbox's greatest achievement in terms of detail and finesse, and from when the masters where probably carved in wood. It suffers though from the the near non-existent or vague attachment points everywhere.  A more modern kit would solve these issues but even then the subject is just very demanding as a build due to it's complexity.  There just isn't a easy way to handle the model while its being built and it was tempting to stick wings on it just so I could hold it. Finally the extensive chrome work was very challenging - I used Alcad as that's what I had but the finish is just too delicate, clear coating helps but you lose that sheen. I will explore newer alternatives such s the Molotow pen refills and Green Stuff World Chrome but I don't want to got near another metal finish for a quite a while!

I re-spoked the wheels with florist's wire and insulation stripped from fine wire. The kit's seat position was lowered to the correct height. 

Like my other Matchbox builds this year it will be on show at SMW on the Classic British Kits SIG table.

BlackShadow-46.jpg

BlackShadow-47.jpg

BlackShadow-48.jpg

BlackShadow-49.jpg

BlackShadow-51.jpg

BlackShadow-50.jpg

BlackShadow-52.jpg

BlackShadow-53.jpg

BlackShadow-54.jpg

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Lovely to see this Vincent.

I have had this kit for 40 years and not built it!  I bought it from the factory shop when I worked there.  I wasn't there long as Matchbox went bust in 1982.

I've been waiting until I thought I could do it justice!  Not there yet :-(

• Like 1

That is a fantastic, very neat job you've done there. Everything looks very neat & must have been a serious job in planning the spraying & building stages.

I've got one of these in the stash & re-spoking the wheels would be the first job (one day when I finally get round to building it) apart from stripping the fake chrome of the plastic.

I'll have to make a visit to your SIG table at Telford.

Martin

• Like 1

That's absolutely stunning James. The paintwork looks spot on to me. If you want durable chrome finish I can recommend the greenstuffworld chrome. Sprays beautifully in very thin layers and it's cheap too. 

• Like 1

Excellent build. I cannot say I enjoyed building this kit but I wanted to build it for my father who likes classic British motorcycles (BSA mainly). If you resist the temptation to throw the bike into the wall during the build and actually finish it it turns into a great looking model indeed.

• Haha 1

Many thanks for all your kind comments.

On 27/10/2022 at 00:27, Lightningboy2000 said:

Everything looks very neat & must have been a serious job in planning the spraying & building stages.

I've got one of these in the stash & re-spoking the wheels would be the first job (one day when I finally get round to building it) apart from stripping the fake chrome of the plastic.

I'll have to make a visit to your SIG table at Telford.

Yes I did spend a lot of time planning the build and broke the build into phases which I tried to complete before moving on the the next one. This way I didn't get overwhelmed with the keeping track of a lot of parts, but did mean more painting sessions. I didn't know if I have time to do the re-spoking before SMW so left the wheels untouched until everything else was complete.

Not sure why I hadn't seen this, but now I have, wow, what a beauty. A local GP & friend of my fathers had a Black Shadow when I was a youngster, I was mighty impressed with it & spent ages ogling it, so I can say with certainty, you've caught the look of the best completely. 👍

That V-twin Vincent engine, poetry in precious metal. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Six97s said:

The wheels make a huge difference - any chance of some hints?

It was my first attempt and chose to follow the "replace a few at time method" rather than creating a fully spoking jig. It means the overlapping may be inconsistent but no one is going to notice. Build thread here: https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23420

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Not sure why I hadn't seen this, but now I have, wow, what a beauty. A local GP & friend of my fathers had a Black Shadow when I was a youngster, I was mighty impressed with it & spent ages ogling it, so I can say with certainty, you've caught the look of the best completely. 👍

That V-twin Vincent engine, poetry in precious metal. :)

Steve.

Appreciate your first hand experience Steve!

9 hours ago, RaulNanu said:

Great job! It looks so real! Did you do anything to the wheels? It looks like they are weathered?

The tires are as they come, which was a matt rubber. I only sanded the tread to remove the mould line which can help impart some wear. The centre of the wheel rims I painted black, they should have a red pin stripe too but stuff that 😀

Thanks for the very kind comments from everyone, I really appreciate them 👍

• Like 1

Excellent build James

Looks like you re spoked the wheels!

Incidentally, if you are looking for products to give a polished metal finish, also have a look at C1 Models Metalliser Powder as well as the ones you mentioned.

Its consistency is similar in appearance to Graphite Powder. It has to be rubbed on with a small pad or cotton wool bud and buffed to a shine.

Once buffed it is very durable for handling. A tub of this stuff lasts ages too!

Look at C1 Models website.

To anyone else contemplating building this kit, Motobitz do a replacement tyre set.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

Absolute stunner, James, and probably MUCH admired over the past few days at Telford! 

All the compliments above are well deserved, and can l mention the heat discolouration you've created on the exhaust outlets....?! Perfectly guaged and rendered. 

There was a Matchbox Group Build earlier in the year that broke a few BM records - in fact every single Matchbox kit ever produced was built, or at the least attempted. Much love for the old company's products. 

And this Vincent is indeed a glorious tribute to Matchbox and your modelling skills 👍

• Like 1