BS285 Nato Green vs B285 Nato IRR Green (Hercules vs Harrier)

PhantomBigStu

A bit confused, the 90's Green scheme for the RAF Harrier II refers to Bs 285 Nato IRR Green, which in photos looks quite a dark olive green, but the same code is used in references for the current RAF Hercules for a more paler green, so wondering if there are different colours, if the IRR bit is some kind of coating that darkened the harriers up or if there differences is just 90's cameras vs much superior more current ones. 

The two pics link show what I mean

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/1018553/zh889-royal-air-force-lockheed-martin-hercules-c5-c-130j 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3ABritish_Aerospace_Harrier_GR5%2C_UK_-_Air_Force_AN1648340.jpg&psig=AOvVaw1ax8LywZr07idKsgAaT6M0&ust=1666873157555000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjx5ObE8P36AhVZHMAKHWyHDJsQjRx6BAgAEAw

Anyone be able to clear things up? I've done a Harrier in the past dark like the photo but obviously can't do the same for a Herc so it be good to know if the harrier should match when I next do one 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

4 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

A bit confused, the 90's Green scheme for the RAF Harrier II refers to Bs 285 Nato IRR Green, which in photos looks quite a dark olive green, but the same code is used in references for the current RAF Hercules for a more paler green, so wondering if there are different colours, if the IRR bit is some kind of coating that darkened the harriers up or if there differences is just 90's cameras vs much superior more current ones. 

BS285 Nato Green is a defined colour to BS381c, fresh paint should match this standard if properly mixed and applied. Any type of paint can be mixed to match this colour, the IRR bit is a special formulation paint that is infra-red reflective and shouldn't have any effect on how the paint looks under normal visible spectrum light.

The big difference between what you're seeing on the Harrier and Hercules is weathering - the Harrier is a small aircraft and would spend most of its time hangered, the Hercules would spend most of its time outside. Look at any photo of a Hercules that has been out of a full repaint for a while and it's a patchwork of lighter weathered paintwork and darker repainted panels - here's a random photo from the web illustrating this

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/1133004/zh874-royal-air-force-lockheed-hercules-c-4/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah ok so they are the same paint on the wing so to speak but the herc weathers down, in fact I've just found some pics of fresh hercs like this one https://www.facebook.com/Scramblemagazine/photos/pcb.2935734566453058/2935730909786757/ and they look like the harrier.  Thanks for clearing that up, and actually will make the paint acquisition simple as I used Xtracrylix Olive Drab on the Harrier.....

• Like 1

Ditto what Dave said!

BS381C 285 is a specification defined colour. There can be different finishes/specifications also applied to a paint that can (and do) massively effect what the paint looks like once applied (even though it's the same colour, to the same spec - yeah, I know, it's silly).

Side note; you won't notice much significant difference between variation in spec compliant paints - the variation is much more down to weathering, ambient light and the base material onto which a paint has been applied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't think aircraft ever used IRR paints, they were intended for ground vehicles only.  IRR relates to infra red reflectance IIRC.  The green used on aircraft would still be the same BS colour, but without the IRR component.

Selwyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

To add to the discussion of green.

The above photos really are showing a 4-6 yr old paint finish - patina. I’ve just got back from S.M.W 2022 ……I did some judging in the competition……. And was very pleased to give a gold medal to the owner of a British Herc done in a very attractive green Herc…….. Mean while I used to work at Marshals Aerospace who have the contract to maintain RAF Hercules, this photo has all kinds of different going on……. C.1P……….and ECM pods…. and green….. very fresh…....but, I don’t know when the photo was taken.

spacer.png

Taken at RAF Laarbruch in 1993, the lighter underside green ‘Lichen’ green isn’t visible. 

spacer.png

I’ve not marked up the photos in a short sighted blunder, but I own the negatives. 

Photos are for discussion purposes only.

Thanks for looking.    😉

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Been racking my brain no end trying to find an agreeable match for Nato green as I'm choosing which Zvezda Hercules I'm going to buy and don't want to get the J if I can't find a paint to bulk buy when it I build it, forgot totally about this thread, and also baffled how I came to the conclusion Olive Drab is a good Nato Green, thats clearly too brown..... Looking likely I'm just going to have to bulk order xtracrylix raf drak green and bung some grey in.

bsgreens.png

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Should've checked my RAF color page which even has a Hercules-specific section!

http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/file.php?r=camo_rafmod#hercules

The solve the mystery: RAF Hercules aircraft have a neoprene coat to protect from wear when using rough landing strips. This coat is painted BS 285 to match the fuselage but looks darker since it's typically replaced more often than the fuselage is repainted. The neoprene parts are typically the patchy sections you see on areas of the fuselage that would be closer to the ground.

EDIT: should have read my own site because I initially wrote the neoprene sections were lighter when it's the opposite case.

Edited by Phantome
  • Thanks 1

Was b

On 6/9/2023 at 10:42 PM, Phantome said:

Should've checked my RAF color page which even has a Hercules-specific section!

http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/file.php?r=camo_rafmod#hercules

The solve the mystery: RAF Hercules aircraft have a neoprene coat to protect from wear when using rough landing strips. This coat is painted BS 285 to match the fuselage but looks darker since it's typically replaced more often than the fuselage is repainted. The neoprene parts are typically the patchy sections you see on areas of the fuselage that would be closer to the ground.

EDIT: should have read my own site because I initially wrote the neoprene sections were lighter when it's the opposite case.

As it happens the pic of the herc you used is my current desktop background and wondered why it looked browner than fresh Nato Green on harriers. Top work will check out the rest o your colour guides :)

also I have a little addition you might find helpful, BS Lichen green is actually in BS381c, 284 Spruce green is Lichen green 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2