M3 Half-Track at Omaha Beach "The fallen comrade"

14 hours ago, danbuoy said:

Nice detail so far on this! Must admit that although I knew these were used as ambulances, I never considered that they would have a different interior. Just assumed stretchers would be placed along the seats and on the floor.

When I spontaneously decided to build the ambulance variant, I assumed that there would be hundreds of pictures.
Surprisingly, this only applies to exterior shots and even after hours of searching and researching in forums and books, I found nothing useful about the interior.

Only an older post at ML has brought clarity and - how could it be otherwise, made the hurdles even greater.

Officially, no ambulance version of the U.S. Halftracks, both the White M2 and M3 and the International Harvester M5 and M9, was ever developed or put into production.
Therefore, all of the Halftracks used as ambulances by Allied forces during World War II were field modifications. It appears that the seats, etc., were removed from the fighting compartment to provide a flat surface on which stretchers could be loaded.

The remaining space was probably used to store first aid supplies from regular ambulances.

So if you want to build an ambulance version, scratchbuilding is the way to go.
If you work logically and think in terms of the paramedics of the time, you should get a usable result 🤔

I have some pictures as a source of inspiration and try my best 🤓

spacer.png

There are enough pictures from outside.

spacer.png

Parts of the interior of a M14 as a template for my build.

spacer.png

Scout cars were also converted.

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

When I spontaneously decided to build the ambulance variant, I assumed that there would be hundreds of pictures.
Surprisingly, this only applies to exterior shots and even after hours of searching and researching in forums and books, I found nothing useful about the interior.

Only an older post at ML has brought clarity and - how could it be otherwise, made the hurdles even greater.

Officially, no ambulance version of the U.S. Halftracks, both the White M2 and M3 and the International Harvester M5 and M9, was ever developed or put into production.
Therefore, all of the Halftracks used as ambulances by Allied forces during World War II were field modifications. It appears that the seats, etc., were removed from the fighting compartment to provide a flat surface on which stretchers could be loaded.

The remaining space was probably used to store first aid supplies from regular ambulances.

So if you want to build an ambulance version, scratchbuilding is the way to go.
If you work logically and think in terms of the paramedics of the time, you should get a usable result 🤔

I have some pictures as a source of inspiration and try my best 🤓

spacer.png

There are enough pictures from outside.

spacer.png

Parts of the interior of a M14 as a template for my build.

spacer.png

Scout cars were also converted.

My research came up blank too. I'd always assumed any halftrack ambulances were field modifications, but was never sure how far they went. Removing the seats does make sense. Will you be installing brackets so that stretchers can be stacked?

2 hours ago, danbuoy said:

My research came up blank too. I'd always assumed any halftrack ambulances were field modifications, but was never sure how far they went. Removing the seats does make sense. Will you be installing brackets so that stretchers can be stacked?

I will build metal supports on the left and right with U-shaped supports.
That way you can transport 3 stretchers.
In the front part, near the tanks, boxes with dressing material and a seat will be mounted.

3 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Cracking bit of research their and applaud your scratch building to make something unique. 

Thank you sir!
I may have been a bit gullible in my approach to the project, but military ambulances are always something special and show in a certain way that war only creates suffering.

• Like 3

Nothing like making life difficult.....

The back of the M3 is a big open canvas once stripped out so if I was responsible for creating an ambulance I'd just copy/pinch and adapt what had already been done when converting other vehicles.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

16 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Nothing like making life difficult.....

The back of the M3 is a big open canvas once stripped out so if I was responsible for creating an ambulance I'd just copy/pinch and adapt what had already been done when converting other vehicles.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Yes, I can really go for it now.
Unfortunately my pictures only show a few details, but enough to get an idea 😁

• Like 1

Hello folks

Today it's about the front parts of the M3.
I have to deviate again from the plan, because some parts became victims of the saw.
Therefore, I could not glue the remaining parts according to instructions.
In addition, separate assemblies were necessary to add missing details and to facilitate the subsequent painting.

So once again the rule applied: "think first, then glue".
MD

spacer.png

Let's start with the smallest part, the 2mm distributor.
7 holes with 0.3mm diameter 🤓

spacer.png

Ignition cables are installed.

spacer.png

In addition, cables of the generator and the fuel line to the carburetor.

spacer.png

The engine firewall has been poorly rendered by Dragon 👎

spacer.png

This is waiting for me...

spacer.png

In the instructions, many parts are glued, but that no longer works for me.

So I had to make 2 assemblies that are still to be separated from each other.

spacer.png

Again sawed and temporarily attached the side panels.
So one or the other could be glued.
It is important to work precisely so that everything fits later.

spacer.png

The interior can be easily detailed later.

spacer.png

The new firewall.

spacer.png

Here are the 2 assemblies that are supposed to be glued according to the instructions.

spacer.png

Now i can use the parts as I wish-here is a test fit.

I had to glue the engine because the starter is connected to the transmission.
But I can still get to the parts for later painting.

See you!

• Like 20

Hello all

I have spent the last few days continuing to detalize the engine in a somewhat acceptable way.
The focus here is on the left side, because that will be good to see later.
I also added checker plates to the fighting compartment, so that I can now install holders for stretchers etc.

It's funny that I bought PE sets that were almost as expensive as the whole model and haven't used any of them yet.
I'm sure many of you have noticed that the highly praised PE parts are sometimes not usable because they are too thin or just don't match the original.
I will therefore look very closely at the next projects, what really has to be, or where plastic sheet is better and cheaper.
In addition, some parts are so small and almost impossible to process (unless you're a masochist) that they disappear into a box never to be seen again.
From the wasted money I could have already bought many new glasses (or beer) 😁

Cheers!

spacer.png

The support frame for the flaps was completely missing.

spacer.png

The cooler is fitted, but not yet glued.

spacer.png

So you can paint the engine better.

spacer.png

I ground the fan blades thinner.

spacer.png

Dragon had only indicated the V-belts - I had to change that.

spacer.png

Good references help a lot.

spacer.png

As already said-so you can put everything together separately and check the installed parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The checker plate I have from the ship modeling accessories.

spacer.png

So far everything fits together 😁

See you!

• Like 23

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the finger has healed - we can go on 😁

Although I haven't done that much, the construction seems as good as done.
The tracks are the last big hurdle, but it's not the building itself that needs attention, but the later painting.
Let's see, I will approach it carefully.

MD

spacer.png

Seats for the medics.

spacer.png

A new door locking system.

spacer.png

Supports for 3 stretchers.

spacer.png

A small storage box for accessories.

spacer.png

A big storage box for accessories.

spacer.png

All levers are newly made from wire. The only PE parts so far are the pedals.

spacer.png

Steering wheel and upper part are still removable. Many trial fits were necessary.

spacer.png

The fins for the radiator armour were much too thin in PE, so I made some from plastic card.

See you!

• Like 16