M3 Half-Track at Omaha Beach "The fallen comrade"

Hello folks

Before the GB starts I would like to introduce you to my model.

A lot of small parts in a full package made a lot of work, but the real nightmare are the 3 PE sets.
As always there is also a small vignette, this time it goes to Omaha Beach, a few days after D-Day.  

Looking forward to many nice models, see you!
MD

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are 3 variants with many details

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 22

19 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This should be fun.
You were asking about some interior details; was that for this build?

Yes, is for this build.
Thanks again for the link!
I have already collected a lot of references, only from the interior there are very few original pictures, eg. how exactly the stretchers were attached.

Ok, 2-3 pictures I have yes-will have to think of the rest 😁

• Like 1

On 28/10/2022 at 15:46, THEscaleSHOW said:

Yes exactly, from the first impression nice details. I hope that no big mistakes are waiting for me 🧐

I think the only problem with this series of US half-tracks was the weighted front tyres, they were reinforced so they didn't deflate if damaged, so they should be round like in the good old kits.

I bought some resin replacements and :doh:they were weighted too.

• Like 1

Hello folks

Today I want to share with you my first work on the M3.
The kit has so far made no particular difficulties despite the many small parts and is according to my comparisons with references so far accurate.
There is little to clean up, here and there a little filler at ejector points, but all in all nothing worth talking about.
Of course, Dragon is also not perfect, so you can still improve one or the other detail.
I limit myself here, however, to areas that will be visible later, which saves time and nerves.
I spent the last few days thinking about how I want to present the model in the end. After that, my decisions have been directed over more or less details.
So it's like with any other construction: planning is everything.

Everyone have fun here at the GB and good luck and a steady hand!

Do not drink and glue 😁

MD

spacer.png

Parts for the first construction stages. As is often the case, you start with the chassis.

spacer.png

Parts of the engine will be seen later, the details are very poor.

spacer.png

Generator, starter, distributor, carburetor, ignition coil and fuel pump are rebuilt later with wiring.

spacer.png

To do this, some parts must first be removed and holes closed.

spacer.png

To give the model more life, the wheels are shown later slightly turned in. I am always surprised that this is not possible with such an expensive and extensive kit.
By the way, this is not possible with Miniart's Austin either.
Therefore, I deviated here from the instructions and have-to mount the wheels later still stable, the axle reinforced with wire.

spacer.png

The wire is bent as desired and the wheels can now be easily removed or attached.

spacer.png

The first unsightly details appear.

spacer.png

It would be immediately noticeable and therefore must be changed.

spacer.png

The cast-on springs are removed with a sharp blade, wire of the appropriate diameter is wrapped around an inverted drill bit and placed on a piece of round plastic.

spacer.png

Then simply insert and glue.
With a little work a realistic detail.

spacer.png

Here, too, castings have to make way for PE parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The engine hood is also rebuilt from PE.

See you!

• Like 22

26 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

It would be immediately noticeable and therefore must be changed

It's at times like this when I remove my spectacles and say, "It looks good enough to me!". 😀

I admire your diligence without wishing to emulate it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello folks

Thanks for your comments-I really appreciate it!

The construction is progressing, today a few pictures of the fighting compartment of the M3.
Since I plan to build the ambulance version, everything unnecessary like seats etc. had to disappear first.
Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the interior yet, even a request to the WW2 US Medical Research Centre in the USA for more info was unsuccessful.
I have, however, despite everything already created a base and rebuilt the floor-maybe during the construction period still find one or the other picture.

Today I will work on the engine, until then, have fun!
MD

spacer.png

The back wall needs some details...

spacer.png

The seats must go out!

spacer.png

Dremel Power 💪

spacer.png

Do not drink and cut 😁

spacer.png

The new floor is in and the tanks are covered.

spacer.png

Test fit.

spacer.png

The tail lights are drilled out and replaced later.

spacer.png

The gap for the side panels was re-engraved all around and holes drilled for the hood brackets.

See you!

• Like 20

Nice detail so far on this! Must admit that although I knew these were used as ambulances, I never considered that they would have a different interior. Just assumed stretchers would be placed along the seats and on the floor.

• Like 1