Bones In the Sky-Making History with a 1/48 Revell B-1A Bone "FINISHED"

Lovely stuff, Loren. It's an awesome Aircraft and your build is heading that way too.

Great cockpit detail, Bomb bay detail & printed bits etc. That rotary launcher in it's bay would grace any Sci fi Space ship build. Colour me green!

• Thanks 1

Now that we're at the center section construction really begins. The nose intakes and tail aren't the only changes. The "A" model had a cut out very similar to the F-111

52486722551_1bffa30cf3_w.jpg

So I suppose it's time to cut plastic..

52487166883_5de079b5e5_c.jpg

I have a feeling there will be more plastic cutting on this before it's over.:wall: 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely stuff, Loren. It's an awesome Aircraft and your build is heading that way too.

Great cockpit detail, Bomb bay detail & printed bits etc. That rotary launcher in it's bay would grace any Sci fi Space ship build. Colour me green!

Ain't nuthin' but some smoke and mirrors Pete:drink:and more than a few brews to work out the particulars.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately , upon a close inspection, I can't create a properly operating wing folding mechanism. That's the way it goes I suppose. But never fear, Smith is here, I come up with something better.

• Like 1

Just now, AdrianMF said:

We don’t doubt you for a second! Awesome (and big too!)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Yep it's big, but at least I'm not tripping over it ..... yet.:phew:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

But while I did that correction I also printed out a better rotary launcher. 

52486621081_8d1cdfe663_c.jpg

The kits launcher is at best bare bones, At worst, about as inaccurate as you can get. There is an online site that has better launchers but you aren't able to order, at least easily. The E-commerce section is still being set up. Which is probably good as the set was 100$ and I didn't  have that kind of cash. But no matter I went and made my own.

To make it easier, I broke it down into 3 simple sections, the rear pylon, the center bomb release section, and the control pylon. This also was supposed to make quicker to print but i changed the layer height from .05mm to .01mm. This would allow for showing more finer detail. I didn't get everything adding in, even with  microscope you would have been hard pressed to see it. But it still took 30+ hours to print.

where did you get the stl files from ???

Just now, cobraleader said:

where did you get the stl files from ???

I made them in lightwave 3d then converted. I used photos from Dacos Understanding the B-1B for the refetence. Not perfect by any means but close enough for this build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 10 days since my last post , so I guess it's about time....

After cutting the sections away from the upper part of the fuselage center, I managed to find a better overhead image of the B-1A. And of course, you guessed it, I removed  TOO much. Its surprising how much good information on the B-1B there is out there, but the B-1A not so much. Mostly the same company pubic relation shots. but I digress. Unfortunately I had already chucked the pieces I removed so time to improvise. I cut some .020 card to corrrect the basic outline then added Milliput . I let this dry for a day then did a lot of sanding to smooth everything out.

52511417493_3dc973c5e4_c.jpg

I did add some more card that will be further worked on once I get the lower portion  and the wings attached then I can finish the rest out.

• Like 4

Speaking of the lower half let us see how it has progressed.

52511349695_7f126eae5f_c.jpg

Since I couldn't make the wing fold gear work out, I went with something a little more simple and sublime. A Rubber band.

Actually sections cut and glues to the original pivot posts. I had to ream out the holes in the wings a smidgen, but this worked like a charm. Though this probably won't get hung up on the ceiling, at least I know it I were to there wouldn't be any "Right turn Clyde" episodes.

I did cut out for the Ram air scoops next to the wheel wells.

52511417543_5853dc1465_c.jpg

• Like 4

That taken care of it's time to start adding the bomb and main gear bays, but before that can be finished I needed to make better ordinance and a new set of rotary launcher gears.

52510395222_2765f74370_c.jpg

The kit provided what I think were supposed to be separate Nuclear Bombs. Not a  realistic  form and  rather bland, so went and made a set of GBU-31's and a set of rotary gears.

52511142704_8e50c42197_c.jpg

Added to a launcher they actually came out fairly well. Now granted being flight test they probably didn't use these at the time,1 because they hadn't been invented yet, and 2, had they been, they would have had a blue band for test dummy, not yellow bands for live ordinance. Doc Brown probably dropped them off from 1991, Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.:mental:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

then finally, the main gear Bays

52511478923_37ff6f3fbf_c.jpg

52510929591_817f0abbdb_c.jpg

Putting it altogether, along with a light primer coat

52511202569_446815f964_c.jpg

Soon I will attach the wings then add the top fuselage piece to begin finishing the outlines for the upper body. The wings have been painted, I'm letting them dry and cure for a day or so before giving them a clear gloss coat and add the "No Step" walkway lines.

• Like 8

52511352045_1ee14b9e60_c.jpg

Gave the forward area a coat of primer. I still need to apply panel lines for the escape capsule and tidy up a few more lines that got filled in error.

But otherwise came out pretty decent.

• Like 5

Of course while all this was going on I took all the metal landing gear from my old B-1 and soaked them in Simple Green

52487088285_85b3bbfd1b_c.jpg

Setting in this solution for a couple of weeks, the paint practically fell off. Some cleaning the little nooks and crannies with a stiff brush, finished  everything off.

52510868466_15d6ceb79c_c.jpg

A coat of primer and I'm at the point of removing the old brake lines. I'll replace them and add more in their correct placement with some silver beading wire. I should have them finished in a few more days. So there you are, a little bit further along, errors and setbacks not withstanding, it's still coming along according to schedule. in fact "knock on wood":banghead:, it may, just may get finished sooner than I anticipated.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, GRIM REAPER said:

Incredible work! 

Thanks! I'm glad you like its progress so far.

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

You are going to have to display this sitting on a mirror! 

No but its going on a top shelf above the old Great White Beast B-70, so the underneath might still be seen.Still more to accomplish with it. I hope. Thanks for the note of encouragement.

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

What can one say... fantastic!!

You are aware that there is a Czech Army Cast "dirty" wing set out there, no? Just saying .... :whistle:

Unfortunately they discontinued the set. They had one set left a couple of months back but I was too slow(translation: broke) to grab it before it wss sold. Glad you like it.

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Absolutely fantastic, I’ve never seen one built in 1/48 just in the box & it was a big box! Dare I ask, how much shelf space?

Normally the kit is 92cm long(36 in), with the addition of the longer tail cone and the test phase pitot tube for the nose its going to be around 105cm(41in)give or take.Thanks glad you like it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

All very nice so far, just wondering though about the date of your B-1A as the GBU-31's you have fitted were not available untill 98 at the earliest.

Gondor

I mentioned that in an earlier post. It didn't dawn on me until AFTER I cemented everything together. The kit comes with what think are  AGM-69 SRAM Nuclear ordinance. If I can remove them with out too much problem I may just swap to the kit ordinance.

And save the GBU's for the B-1B or something else.

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

I mentioned that in an earlier post. It didn't dawn on me until AFTER I cemented everything together. The kit comes with what think are  AGM-69 SRAM Nuclear ordinance. If I can remove them with out too much problem I may just swap to the kit ordinance.

And save the GBU's for the B-1B or something else.

I must have missed that as I normaly only catch up on threads once a week so generally skim through the pictures unless something peaks my interest. I agree that what would have been supplied would have been AGM-69 SRAM missiles though the accuracy of them may leave a bit suspect as information on such things is not exactly something in every book.

Gondor