My planned PC Flight Sim controller upgrades

One 48

Quite soon I hope, from Virpil and third party for my Virpil Helicopter side collective controller, have the Virpil VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with throttle and VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip ... considered the interchangeable VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip too, but all I really need is one collective Grip, I do not look at it when flying, one grip needs to suite multiple helicopters so that was one luxury I could rule out to be able to afford upgrading something else, stick grips too, used to have loads, but now two bases (more on that in a moment) both with TM Hornet grips I prefer for commonality in sims (Including WW1 LOL) we need multi button functions in any PC sims, even WW1.

I digress though ... As regards the Virpil collective controller, its awesome and I do use it a lot, but found I was needing to tighten it up more and more to avoid it dropping hands off, quickly thought of the idea an adjustable counterbalance system tacked onto the back of it would be a good idea and lo and behold there is a dedicated aftermarket solution for this now, its quite expensive for what it is, cant find link to it again just now but will edit it on later. Great idea though, keeps the collective stiction/friction free and smooth ... and most importantly stays where it is for lots of types of Helicopter flying hands off ... quite essential IMHO.

Second upgrade I'm making soon, and really would like to hear feedback from folk who own one already is the new Virpil CM3 base this has adjustable axis clutch dampers that can allow the stick (even with my curved extension) to stay in one flight position too momentarily hands off, or of course not need to fight the return to center resistance needed for smooth helicopter flying, this also struck me as a good idea for a slightly fwd clutch hold for nose heavy WW1 trimming for aircraft of the era that had no trim tabs, cheating I know :)

So currently use my MK 1 CM base with curved extension for Helicopters and WW1 and 2 type aircraft that quickly clamps to desk when needed.

The sidestick I use the MK2 CM2 base that is permanently on right side of my chair as part of my side by side HOTAS system and is still a great base IMHO, so the CM3 hopefully will replace my original MK1 CM center mounted desk clamp on base when needed for helicopter usage.

I should update my pics of my home generic dynamic PC cockpit soon, its ever evolving, really is, new rear return springs for my TM TPR rudders due any day now, couldn't find them in UK, ordered from USA.

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm3-base.html

I hope you do not mind me sticking my nose into another of your threads.

I came across this aftermarket item on reddit. A counterweight.

https://www.etsy.com/LaserWing/listing/1271733962/counterweight-bracket-for-virpil

Have you looked at nyogel 767A?

Best of luck with the additions and I would be happy to see pics of your setup.

• Thanks 1

Thanks mate, thats exactly the post I came across recently, when composing my post but couldn't find it, and was going to edit it in, but thats it, will go buy it now in fact before I change my mind and report back once arrived and fitted, thanks 👍

Once this is fitted and a new Virpil CM3 joystick base with clutch damping and then of course soon to be released MS 2020 Helicopter modelling, will be in seventh heaven, cheers 👍

nyogel 767A too.

• Like 1

Hmm, been doing some consideration, got Kit wants on horizon, Tamiya 1/48 F-35 and Airfix 1/48 Anson, these might need to wait now, my Virpil CM3 stick base is ordered.

Might ... actually I should make my own Virpil side collective balancing end ballast adjustable gadget my self, that would be easy.

Oh yeah, ordered some nyogel 767A too.

Not sure what the waiting list is with Virpil for new stuff? but figured I should get in now, they have been great to me in the past and never let me down.

Looking forward to the CM3 stick base and its clutches very much now.

• Like 1

I just saw this easy diy sollution in this thread.  Spray paint it black, use a gimbal weight(s) to make it look better.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/291222-making-a-collective-damper-system-for-virpil-rotor-base/?do=findComment&comment=4996649

Cat not included in this one.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/291222-making-a-collective-damper-system-for-virpil-rotor-base/?do=findComment&comment=4888898

That Virpil stick with the adjustable cams from the outside?  Yes, that is lovely.

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 1

Some good ideas there, thanks pal. have already formulated my own idea of Virpil collective ballast mod that can be adjustable if needed, wondering how much counter weight to use now? have melted lead and cast it before as an aeromodeller from my teens hobby, perhaps I need to revisit that?

I'll figure it out.

Ordered some nyogel 767 too and it arrived today already, had no idea it was so expensive, when I saw and found a dealer for it on Ebay was surprised at high price, but smaller volumes were more appropriately priced, tiny little blob though as seen in my pic with Tamiya glue for scale, this was about £6 delivered I think, hope it lasts a long time, but clearly the best type of lube for what I intend to do for both Cyclic and forthcoming Virpil CM3 base with its dampers.

4qQoeDT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Virpil CM3 base is on its way, ouch but DHL delivery tell me I am due an extra £70 import duty :( just paid it, dont want to moan or be political, but are these extra fee's due to Brexit? £70 on top of an already steep almost £300 price tag, with normal high postage costs too ... I feel a bit ripped off?

Virpil gear is top notch though, ordered up a Monstertech mounting plate too from Germany, wonder if I'll get stung again with import from them? £40 ish it cost for a little bit of plate, but saves me botching something up, looks more professional too.

Bought the Virpil Collective counter balance too (mentioned earlier in this thread) and this is shipping from New York USA and on its way now, very professional guy, let me know he was making it once I put in my order, these are not mass produced it seems but made on an individual order basis.

Despite these hidden costs for new hardware, really am looking fwd to it all coming together ... my main Flight sim PC got poorly recently, it was well due a format to be honest, decided Win 11 was not for me so reverted to a fresh Win 10 install that had its own problems, so back to the long haul of a brand new FRESH install of Win 11 64 bit again and so far so good, whole big FS2022 install started once more and on Friday we have the big update with helicopters, gliders and even classic FSX missions they say ... 20 of them.

Things are looking good.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the OS issues and the customs handling fee. 

Wonder why the OS install didnt take?  Is your SSD/HDD ok?

From what I have read and experienced myself that's about the norm.  Years ago I ordered some components from the states.  Nothing expensive. By the time the carrier got done, their fee was close to the price of my order. I was not happy.

That CM3 looks to be great and I am looking forward to hearing about it.

Edit: typo

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 1

Thanks.

Not sure why I couldn't do a fresh install of Win 10 pro 64 again? it was a latest ISO ver from MS too, installed OK but after that one problem lead to another and with latest FS2020 anniversary update out tomorrow was running out of time to get a smooth OS up and running again, really looking fwd to this update a LOT :)

Hardwares fine, still hi spec, separate OS M2 drive etc, no need to upgrade here, perhaps next year ... might make a dedicated separate hardware thread for Flight sim here soon, will ask admins first of course.

Yup will report back on my Virpil CM3 and Virpil Collective counterweight, really looking fwd to this new gear, esp with Helicopters of course.

My Virpil CM3 stick base arrived yesterday, did quickly plug it into my model desk PC without a stick installed ... just to ensure it works ... and it did, without a stick installed, but all good so far.

Today was back to work on it. had decided to order the Monster tech black mount plate for it too ( £40 ) and this arrived day before ... things were looking good ... too good :(

Had seen and read over and over videos and forum posts and procedure for adding
nyogel 767 to the dry clutches, had all the tools needed and felt confident and went for it, just a rice grain amount of nyogel 767 to each part, then carefulluy re-assembled ... Not working, argh, not recognised in Windows even as a controller, pulled it apart again, double checked and back together once more, its still not recognised in anyway ... yikes! Tried it in my main FS PC, still not recognised ... was really carefull, it just seems dead, there are a couple of things I still need to try, but decided to leave that until tomorrow now with fresh eyes and brain, its been a really long day today for sure in other ways :)

Crumbs though, if its bricked I'll be very dissapointed, I know Virpil are cool with an owner opening them up, they actually provide different cams and springs that I did change for Helo use as per online advice, so not sure what my recourse of action is if it is faulty now? It cost me 330 Euro's or something and I had to pay £70 on top for import from Belarus to UK by+ DHL.

Very dissapointed to say the least, was really looking fwd to this base and seeing the advantages in Helicopter flying especially.

I really do admire the metal machinning work though.

5HFurxZ.jpg

kNRtIfj.jpg

v17B5YM.jpg

2YAVXcW.jpg

Very nice piece of kit.

I read a few posts:

Make sure that you have the most current software

Uninstall and reinstall driver. When reinstalling  untick the box that says USB Filter

Sometimes giving your brain time to think on things is the best.

Good luck, hope that you get it working.

Thanks, it isnt even seen in Windows on 2 PC's now though, tried everything now including a neat trick to revive some Virpil sticks in shorting two (boot) pins on the PCB then plugging in the USB cable ... Its just not working ... gutted :(

I'll submit a ticket to Virpil and see what they say, we are allowed to dismantle the hardware, they provide different cams and springs that need the units to be dismantled in order to fit them properly, should be OK, been a good customer to them ... I see no problem there apart from a major inconvenience and waiting time .. we'll see and fingers crossed here.

Still have my virpil CM mk I and II bases here for side stick and central stick flying, not grounded that way.

That Virpil collective counter balance mentioned here, ordered that too inc weight, should be here any day now from USA, looking fwd to that 👍

Well .. I dont know what it was? But its now working perfectly ... YAY, went for one last look at it before doing the grind of submitting a ticket to Virpil, tried it in my laptop and lo and behold the base was recognised, no buttons working with TM Hornet grip but I knew that was half the battle, so plugged into main FS PC again and base recognised there too now (weird but not complaining), updated firmware, calibrated with TM Hornet grip ETC and its fine ... what a relief :)

After getting ergonomic positioning right on a removable (for swapping to Yoke) central desktop mount from Monster Tech with 200mm S curved Virpil extension it works brilliantly in Helicopters so far, as good as reviews said it would be, really pleased, will be going ahead and adding nyogel 767A to my Virpil collective now but will wait for that counterbalance on order from USA to arrive first.

Had fitted new CM3 base with provided Cosmo no center cams and softest springs as per one reviewer, but with springs backed totally off ... he did this as he uses base for helo and normal aircraft, but I have a side by side HOTAS for that on my chair with Virpil CM2 base and another TM Hornet grip, so next step is to remove springs and cams on my new CM3 base and use dampers only for Helicopter use, found even with CM3 springs wound fully back the cams were just touching at about 85% roll and pitch, barely noticable, but as I dont need cams or springs for what I do will remove them.

DCS Black Shark 3  is due to drop soon I think, look forward to trying it out with this set up.

Edited by One 48
roll not yaw edit :)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing more work on my FS rig again, and this time got my Virpil Collective suitably greased and counter balanced properly too now ... just in time for BS3 it seems.  Oh Boy, this is so smooth, honestly.

Will show my idea of how to counter balance the Virpil Collective quite cheaply and also how a more commercial solution I thought was long lost in post arrived at last and is the perfect solution for me now.

Also, as crazy as I am, decided to order a new Virpil CM3 throttle to replace my TM Warthog throttle.

• Like 1