Soviet BA-10 Armoured Car

There are pictures on the web of the real “green stripes and whitewash” and the kit colour scheme captures it well - I was a bit sceptical/curious because it is so different in style to the green/brown one, which is what I’d expect for a field camo job in a hurry.

I wonder if the relatively thin and uniform stripes couldn’t be done IRL by wiping the whitewash off with a wet cloth?

Looking forward to the build progressing!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, AdrianMF said:

There are pictures on the web of the real “green stripes and whitewash” and the kit colour scheme captures it well - I was a bit sceptical/curious because it is so different in style to the green/brown one, which is what I’d expect for a field camo job in a hurry.

I wonder if the relatively thin and uniform stripes couldn’t be done IRL by wiping the whitewash off with a wet cloth?

Looking forward to the build progressing!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for your feedback and comments Adrian - really appreciated.

Yes I'm assuming I've seen the same pics as you a couple of days ago and they definitely show BA-10s in that kind of camouflage scheme.  Think I'd like to have a go to recreate it - it's just fingers crossed I don't make a dogs dinner of it :fingerscrossed:

Kris

• Like 2

I will be here often as I also plan to make BA-10 (but from Zvezda). As I have little AFV experience, and no experience with wheeled armored vehicles, let me use your thread as an extended manual 😉

On 31/10/2022 at 00:26, planecrazee said:

The question now is (and I'll throw this out there to any experts on Soviet armour) - would the entire vehicle be painted in 4BO for example, then whitewash applied later and the stripes over the whitewash or was the whitewash added in such a way that if left the green stripes in that pattern.  Also, the artwork for that scheme in the kit seems to show the entire vehicle had received whitewash included the chassis, and everything underneath - would this have been the case as I would have assumed they'd only add whitewash to the main body of the vehicle? :hmmm:

I am not an expert on Soviet armor, but I did a quick research on Polish sources and found this information:

"During the winter, the vehicles were covered with the so-called paint of "type B". It was a mineral (adhesive), washable white paint. In the absence of such paint, lime was used. Winter painting was usually done directly in the units. Only occasionally this was done in field repair points or factories. Sometimes only a part of the tank's hull was painted, leaving fragments unpainted, which gave the effect of camo painting." (Source: J. Ledwoch, Front Wschodni 1941-45 Malowanie i Oznakowanie (Eastern Front 1941-45 Painting and markings). My translation, so forgive the quality, my English is terrible. Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Wiesiek.

• Like 3

Thanks very much @voozet - great to have you on board. I'm no expert on AFV's myself but if you can get anything at all from my build then I'll be happy :thumbsup:

Your English is not terrible at all - much better than mine no doubt and I'm English :rofl:  Thank you for the information you've offered regarding the paint schemes - that's really helpful as that seems to answer the question that the whitewash was applied in such a way that it made the camouflage pattern.

I'm looking forward to following your build too - great to have another BA-10 in the GB - hopefully we can provide assistance to each other :thumbsup:

Many thanks

Kris

• Like 2

Good afternoon folks,

I've finally got back to my BA-10 after being busy doing a bit more work on my Meteor for the GB:frantic:

After having completed the majority of the chassis in my last update, I decided to give it a coat of black primer which will also act as the base colour as I intend to do a lot of dirt and mud for the weathering as this will be a 'Winter' vehicle after all.  There's just a couple of other additions such as the radiator and steering wheel column but I'll do that once I've painted up the engine to make things easier to get to (which will be the next job).  I've also base coated the bottom of the floor of the vehicle as this would have been difficult to do if I had tried to do this once it was attached to the chassis:

20221120_141855

20221120_141804

With the chassis painted up and drying off nicely, I decided to make myself useful and get a start on the upper body and turret of the vehicle.  The body comes in one piece (as you can see from my first post with the sprues) as does the turret pretty much.

I had no issue with these pieces at all and the parts basically put themselves together - really nice job from Hobby Boss.  It was also nice to see a one piece main gun in the kit with a hollowed out barrel which was really nicely rendered (no danger of any nasty seam lines there) :thumbsup:.  The only issue I came across, which is purely down to the small scale of the model,  was that the machine gun for the turret just has a solid end.  This would have been nigh on impossible to drill out so I scratched the end of the barrel out of some 0.4 & 0.6mm brass tube:

20221120_141938

20221120_142038

20221120_142204

I did the same thing for the machine gun barrel on the main body of the vehicle (I just don't like to see guns that aren't hollow - just doesn't add to the realism).  This time I used the kit part but scratch built the very end of the gun with some 0.6mm tube to represent the muzzle - this then perfectly represented the opening 👍

The rest of the work on the body was just to add all the various hatches as well as a couple of PE pieces which seem to represent shields to deflect any nasties coming from the engine:

20221120_142509

20221120_142400

20221120_142302

And here the two parts are dry fitted together and looking rather pleased with themselves:

20221120_150417

I've got to say this really is a fantastic little kit and I'm thoroughly enjoying building it :thumbsup:

Hope to have more for you soon,  although there'll need to be a segue back to the Meteor to get some more progress done on her first :whistle:

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 16

Coming together nicely Kris, 

7 hours ago, planecrazee said:

I just don't like to see guns that aren't hollow - just doesn't add to the realism

You're definitely right there, it think that's a must do job at this scale.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments @voozet 

The kits may be very different and with different levels of detail but at the end of the day a kit is just a bit of plastic without the modeller themselves bringing it to life and I think you're doing the Zvezda kit that you have more than justice with your fantastic skills :thumbsup:

Kris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...