So, if I have time I might build a thing for this. No prizes for guessing what I'll build, it's a Vulcan! I'd quite like to build VX770, the first Vulcan prototype.

I've got a few options for a kit to use as the basis of the conversion, but the most likely one would be a 1/200 Cyberhobby kit. I've done three Vulcan B1/1a conversions from that kit, including one straight wing one which needs to be improved, so I've got a good method for butchering the kit in just the right way. For VX770, I'll have to add a few extra modifications, the most significant of which will be reducing the length of the nose by 6 scaled inches (basically I'll cut it off, sand back a tiny bit and put it back) and removing the bomb aimer's position. 

Decals will be printed from my own files which I designed for the Lindberg kit. I'll need to rescale them first but that's a pretty easy task. 

vulcan decals image

• Like 7

If you want to have a look at the method I'll be using for most of the conversion, here are two of my previous conversions based on the Cyberhobby kit:

B1a XA895 (the prototype for the variant so would qualify for this gb if anyone needs any ideas...)

IMG_20210408_005541425~2

B1 XH481

IMG_20211201_230109355_HDR

As you can see, this is going to be no small task, especially adding the extra modifications for VX770. I'd like to do it gear down, but modifying the gear is a pain so I might just go gear up. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have a plan for this now. I will use the 1/200 Cyberhobby kit and I will build it during Christmas break from uni, which should give me enough time to complete the model. I'll look into making a silicone mould of the bomb bay doors to cast them in resin, the Blue Steel version of the 1/200 Vulcan doesn't come with one, which can be quite limiting on my options with building those. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Plans are unravelling at a shocking rate over the last few days. I'm still at uni and all my family back home have covid, so I'm kind of stuck here. Unfortunately that does mean I probably won't be doing this model in this group build now, but plans to build a Vulcan prototype have not been permanently shelved. 

Looking at the kits I have at uni, my only good option that I can make significant progress on at the moment would probably be a Revell 1/32 LS-8. I fly at Cranwell Gliding Club and a private syndicate formed of some of the club members owns F1, the prototype LS8-T, which has been reverted to more or less LS8-b standard. It's still annex ii though due to the use of different materials in its wings. 

• Sad 2