Airfix 1/48 Blenheim question

coolhand

Hi

I'm sure this has probably been asked.before. I have one of initial fighter boxings of the Airfix 1/48 Blenheim and I was sure I read somewhere that you could make a straight bomber from this boxing. Could someone confirm if this is correct? I want to build a bomber version in Finnish markings.

Many thanks

Andy

2 hours ago, coolhand said:

Hi

I'm sure this has probably been asked.before. I have one of initial fighter boxings of the Airfix 1/48 Blenheim and I was sure I read somewhere that you could make a straight bomber from this boxing. Could someone confirm if this is correct? I want to build a bomber version in Finnish markings.

Many thanks

Andy

Yes, that's correct.  I did just that, new set of decals and job done.

Tim

4 hours ago, coolhand said:

Hi

Many thanks

Andy

Depends how fussy/accurate you want to be, Finnish Blenheims had various mods done which aren't included in the kit

The good news is that the various modifications are generally traceable to certain production or delivery blocks, from what I've so far seen. The first delivered block appears to have lacked doors but otherwise had the same bay, while one of the Finnish produced blocks had the bulged bay doors to better fit available bombs. What I don't know for sure is that there appears to be 2 different styles of bulged bays - one where only the forward 1/3 or so is bulged uniformly, and one where the whole bay is bulged, but with a dip in the middle presumably related to the centerline structural support. Note that this is only for Mark 1s - I can't speak as tot he features of the 4s.

From what I can glean from unboxing videos plus my memory of the Mk. IF kit I built last year, you get the same plastic in both the Mk. I and IF boxings (including bombs and open bomb bay doors) except the small sprue of fighter parts (dorsal gun pack, radar antennas, etc.) which is only in the IF boxing.

• Like 1