Revell's 1976 Ford Gran Torino... no, not that red one

Hi all. My plan was for this to be a quick build to get the mojo topped off. It has indeed been a relatively quick build, but not as quick as I had orginally planned. I wanted to make a clunker out of it, all rusty and stuff.

That changed when the 2 minute BRG paint job turned out pretty nice, too nice to completely ruin anyway. Then, somehow I got into detailing the engine and engine bay which accounts for most of the time I spent on the Ford. The paint was kept shiny until the last moment when I decided to take the edge off so to speak. That polished paint is a dust magnet and it just annoys the crap out of me. I don't have to worry about that anymore and I can pick it up without worrying about finger prints as well. 

Because this was meant to be a quick one, I didn't spend any time on the interior other than paint and I didn't do anything about the high rear stance which I don't really like but I realized it sat like that too late. Other than that, I like the result and I'm pleased with the engine bay detailing. It's going into the cabinet with bonnet up, otherwise what's the point of even doing the detailing. 

Here's the WIP. 

And here's the pics. 

The underside, just for the heck of it. 

20221025213851-cef7890a-me.jpg

Oh, in the end I did make the front license plate, I could hear you grumbling when I mentioned in the WIP I was going to skip that 🙂 

20221026094247-749013f4-me.jpg

20221026094247-bb1e6f0b-me.jpg

20221026094248-60b7945e-me.jpg

20221026094241-67b9a84b-me.jpg

20221026094242-57170487-me.jpg

20221026094242-82e504cc-me.jpg

20221026094242-bcd70906-me.jpg

20221026094243-516d9b05-me.jpg

20221026094244-5066fd06-me.jpg

20221026094246-c972a570-me.jpg

20221026094243-7b04e306-me.jpg

20221026094246-b479cf90-me.jpg

Full album here.

Thanks for watching!

• Like 28

Excellent work Jeroen - you know what I thought about making it a clunker and I'm so glad you didn't, as even though it isn't super shiny, I really like the finish you got on it, she looks great!! 

And your new photos are really good and show the model off to the best advantage - great stuff!

Top job!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a good looking build, even if it is dirty ;)

Like others have said, I think it looks much better in the green than the usual red with a white stripe - the last car I saw on the road in red with a white stripe was a Maestro diesel... Good work (it looks particularly good in the front-left angle shot) and I'm glad it's restored your mojo too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Really nice job! I personally find it more satisfying to paint cars in a somewhat dirty state, I just think it looks nicer. Not to mention the fact that I'm not very good at getting the high shine on the kits...

Anyway, this looks really nice! The engine is just wild! The entire build is "straight from a 70´s police tv-show" 🙂

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Dunderklumpen said:

Really nice job! I personally find it more satisfying to paint cars in a somewhat dirty state, I just think it looks nicer.

I fully agree 🙂

• Like 1

I like it, looks fantastic , a well used car , love the paint and weathering effects and that engine and engine bay wow.

What a fantastic job .

I missed your thread, sorry,  but am finding time a bit short in supply at the mo, what with my build commitments and family and work etc.

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I like it, looks fantastic , a well used car , love the paint and weathering effects and that engine and engine bay wow.

What a fantastic job .

I missed your thread, sorry,  but am finding time a bit short in supply at the mo, what with my build commitments and family and work etc.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris! You know, you can't follow everything and besides, it was quite a short thread, blink and you missed it 🙂

• Like 1

HI Jeroen, this looks great!  I spent last week in remote parts of Pennsylvania and New York, and could easily image seeing this car racing along those wet country roads, or parked along side an old shed!  I like the light dusting of road grime, like driven right after the first light rains of the season.  And, the engine and bay looks great!

Nice build!

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1

• JeroenS changed the title to Revell's 1976 Ford Gran Torino... no, not that red one