T Rex 3 feet long Skeleton

ERK

I  brought this  before the pandemic  and delayed starting it  till  I  built up the  nerve,      going back to my childhood  I  saw a  replica of  T Rex  in a museum  and was hooked.

The kit  uses a metal spine  and  the  skeleton is made up of  spine sections  / head  (upper and lower)    Three piece  tail  end  /  pelvic bone  / legs  and feet   and  the front arms  with  plate.

Its  not the best plastic  to work  with  as its a PVC  and already  pre painted  in the factory  to a  poor standard  (the  seams  are  still  visible)   so  first  job  was to work on the  head/jaws  and tidy  these  up  -  remember  the soft plastic used in the old  Airfix 1/72  figures  that  was next to impossible  to  sand or  file  or even scrape  -  yep  same  with this  plastic   -   it leaves  little  fillaments  like  hairs  when  I  try to  tidy up the  seams.

Anyway  after getting the head  joined  and tidied  up  I gave it a  light  rough sand colour   (I will  be adding several  washes)

So this  is  the  head  before  I  did any tidy up work  and paint.

More to follow.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Evening all,    a  bit of an update  and pics   -   I am  working a  flat  sand colour  all over  the  seperate  parts,    including  one of my  28mm   figures  to get an idea  of the scale.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

As someone who has always liked dinos, this looks like it's going to be a very special model. The old tip given by expert modellers when working with soft bendy polythene-type plastic, such as when cleaning up flash and mould lines, was to use a VERY sharp knife blade, such as a fresh scalpel blade, rather than reusing the same blade for too long until it gets blunt. Sharp blades do seem to reduce the "hairiness" which you mention. What are the series of small holes along the jaw? To get an idea of how big she is, a finishing touch might be to pose your completed T. Rex on a base (say with simulated old wood flooring like in a natural history museum) next to a human skeleton in the same scale. [Some people- not me - are said to believe that dinosaurs and humans co-existed.]

20 hours ago, Peter2 said:

As someone who has always liked dinos, this looks like it's going to be a very special model. The old tip given by expert modellers when working with soft bendy polythene-type plastic, such as when cleaning up flash and mould lines, was to use a VERY sharp knife blade, such as a fresh scalpel blade, rather than reusing the same blade for too long until it gets blunt. Sharp blades do seem to reduce the "hairiness" which you mention. What are the series of small holes along the jaw? To get an idea of how big she is, a finishing touch might be to pose your completed T. Rex on a base (say with simulated old wood flooring like in a natural history museum) next to a human skeleton in the same scale. [Some people- not me - are said to believe that dinosaurs and humans co-existed.]

Thank you kindly,   not  sure  what the holes  are  but I have seen them  in pictures  of  T Rex's  skeletons,   its taking some  work  as  the  kit parts  where already painted  in the factory  - not to a very good  standard,  I will  also  have several  washes to apply.   I am  hoping to display it with a similar  scale  Veloceraptor   - like in the  Jurassic  films,     biggest  problem  will  be  displaying it  space wise  etc.

Erk.

Evening all,   starting   work on  the washes  on the Skull   - starting with  Black  then I will  turn it over  and do the same  on the other side,  I will  follow this  with a Dark Brown wash.

Erk.spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, europapete said:

Looking good. The small holes are probably where the nerves and blood vessels went through for the lips/ cheeks/ etc. 

Thank you  kindly.

Erk.

Evening all,   a wee bit  of an update  -  the  pelvic  bones  where attached  along with the legs, I have also  dry fitted  the head and tail end piece,  they will  be glued on latter,  oh  its  also  fixed  down to the base now.    I have also started a side  project  that will  be placed  with it  in the shape  of a  dig  for it  Velociraptor  skeleton.

Erk.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

A bit more  work on this   -  I have  cut out  in between the ribs then  assembled  all the bits,    I then  placed  the  Utahraptor  next to  Rexy.

Only able to put the one picture  can't  post the other one,

Ah.......there are my pics.

Erk.spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by ERK
  • Like 5