Best IL-2 Sturmovik kit?

Tallyho

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build an IL-2 Sturmovik in 1/48 and wondered if anyone has any advice on the best kit to work with in this scale please?

Thank you,

Jon

• Like 1

The Tamiya kit for the two-seater with the swept wings. The Zvezda kit for the straight-winged two-seater, and the single-seater. All are very nice and accurate kits, with the Zvezda kits even having the engine. One more thing, it's 'Shturmovik', not 'Sturmovik' (sorry to be pedantic, but I wrote a book about it! - The Il-2, that is, not about being pedantic!).

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

50 minutes ago, Learstang said:

The Tamiya kit for the two-seater with the swept wings. The Zvezda kit for the straight-winged two-seater, and the single-seater. All are very nice and accurate kits, with the Zvezda kits even having the engine. One more thing, it's 'Shturmovik', not 'Sturmovik' (sorry to be pedantic, but I wrote a book about it! - The Il-2, that is, not about being pedantic!).

Best Regards,

Jason

where  does the Accurate minatures kit stand next to those two newer kits, is it still worth considering at all or has it been superseded ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gavingav1 said:

where  does the Accurate minatures kit stand next to those two newer kits, is it still worth considering at all or has it been superseded ? 

It's a good kit. If you have one, don't throw it away! The Eduard 'kit-bash' of the Accurate Miniatures Il-2 Arrow (swept-winged two-seater) and the single-seater, to make a straight-winged two-seater, is a very nice kit. The Accurate Miniatures single-seater is again a very nice kit, but it should not have the rear fuselage panel lines, as almost all Il-2s had smooth, wooden rear fuselages, even those with metal-covered outer wings. The AM Arrow is also a very nice kit - not as good as the Tamiya kit, but well worth building if you have one. If you can pick up any of these significantly cheaper than the Tamiya kit or the Zvezda kits, then I'd say buy them and build them.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gavingav1 said:

Only thing that I find a bit off with the AM 1/48 kit (and its Academy 1/72 derivatives) is the spinner, which looks a bit too bulbous.

• Like 3

Hi 

Have the Tamiya kit in the stash and it's a really great kit. Friend of mine built one a little while ago and said the fit is next level.

Andy

Edited by coolhand
  • Like 2

You're welcome! Warhawk is correct about the spinners - they are noticeably bulbous and best replaced by resin AM bits. Quickboost made some AM spinner replacements, if you can find them.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Another thing that I didn't like about the AM kit is the top of the nose from the intake to the windscreen is too flat and doesn't have the curve of the real thing. On my 1/72nd scale kit I built it up a little with filler to give it a bit more of a curve. It's still not enough of a curve but looks better than it did.

Here's a comparison between the 1/48th scale nose ( also showing the bulbous kit spinner ) out of the box and the real thing.

il248sb_title.jpg

Russian001.jpg

• Like 5

I have all of the 48th IL-2 kits and they are all decent and will build great models. The original machine was simple, so in terms of cockpit detail, they all do well.

The best overall IMO is the Zvezda series that give you bomb bays and engines, however they have not yet delivered the definitive swept wing two seater yet. The Tamiya is  very nice, but overpriced and the AM , are still decent. TBH , I struggle to see the alleged errors around the spinner and cowling top as completely offensive and they can be fixed. . It's one of those rare situations where the subject is well served. BTW Learstang's book on the IL-2 is well worth picking up. 

Edited by BushBrit66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice overview, BushBrit66, and thank you very much for the endorsement! I'm very glad you liked the book! I hope it was of some help to you with your Il-2s. I agree that the 'errors' with the AM kits are hardly overwhelming, and a good kit can be built pretty much OOB.  But please do sand down the panels on the rear fuselage, unless you wish to do a very early single-seater, in which case you also need to redo the armament and the bomb bay door panels on the upper wing root (I think - I don't have the kit at hand - it's in storage), and some other changes, which I can go into in more detail, if anyone gets to that point where they wish to build one.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, Learstang said:

Best Regards,

Jason

Thank you for the advice on the kits, I think I'll start with a Zvezda single seater!

All good on the spelling, I have seen it spelled incorrectly in a few places it seems. I'll look out for the book, is it the Red Avenger one?

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by Tallyho
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tallyho said:

Thank you for the advice on the kits, I think I'll start with a Zvezda single seater!

All good on the spelling, I have seen it spelled incorrectly in a few places it seems. I'll look out for the book, is it the Red Avenger one?

Cheers,

Jon

Yes. That's the book.

• Like 2

Yes, that is indeed the book! Thank you very much for your interest in it! I hope you will find it of use in building your model, and please post the WIP here on Britmodeller.

Best Regards,

Jason

On a separate note I wonder if anyone has done a performance comparison between the Shturmovik and the Boulton Paul Defiant? 🙂 The latter was garbage (especially as a night fighter) by all accounts!

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

Yes, that is indeed the book! Thank you very much for your interest in it! I hope you will find it of use in building your model, and please post the WIP here on Britmodeller.

Best Regards,

Jason

Will do, thanks

• Like 1

The Il-2 and the Defiant weren't really equivalent - the Il-2 was a dedicated ground-attack aeroplane, and however ill-considered, the Defiant was a dedicated fighter. A more apt equivalent of the Il-2 would be the Fairey Battle, in which the Il-2 comes out ahead in terms of both offensive and defensive gun armament. The Battle with its two rifle-calibre .303-inch weapons, one fixed and forward-firing, the other on a moveable mount, was hopelessly under-gunned. The Battle also did not enjoy the heavy armour of the Il-2. In due fairness, the Battle was designed a few years before the Il-2, and to different specifications. The Soviets based their specifications at least partly on the combat in the Spanish Civil War, in which the need for a dedicated ground-attack aircraft was apparent, the aircraft used being found wanting. I believe the Battle was designed during the early stages of the Spanish Civil War, so did not benefit from the lessons learned there, especially by the Soviets and the Germans (and Italians).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1