Miniart 1/35 Austin Armoured Car - Ukrainian ***FINISHED***

On 11/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Is there another way?

Clearly you don’t build aeroplanes or specifically biplanes any more, the sequence tends to be paint assemble paint assemble as more and more if the build becomes in accessible…,

• Haha 1

A quick update, to keep things moving along. I decided to paint the interior bits prior to assembly...

y4m9pj3Ot2YvrVkxkpEa-5p-wpwkxMEd2n4t5A5r

The wooden planks were just plain, no texture or grain on them, so I used a micro saw and dragged that along the plank lengths to add some form of texture, although you can't see it too well in the photo. After priming I painted the wooden surfaces Vallejo Ivory followed by two coats of hairspray. I then used Vallejo's interior green to paint the floor surfaces. Then with a slightly wetted brush I dragged along the planks to get the worn effect...

Being an interior build Miniart don't seem to include decals for the instrument panel. I bought a couple of sets online...

y4mtPv4B3a_M5kUYDypNAf38KWs2tHd7Pjd-sI97

These aren't too bad, one's in 1/32 the other in 1/48, I may get 1/72 for the smaller instruments when I do some more of these in the future...

I primed and painted the front mudguards and added some Burnt umber to the panel lines...

y4m3CL86UAJt-FRERaZizPEt1LS3VWXImt9fh3d3

Then finally I painted the wheels and added some dusting using oil paints, white and yellow ochre

y4mYrDP7cg6kVUWyz9tBh0m_8wLBe6z0pxOTMwIh

So now I have to assemble everything together, then add the drivers foot pedals, steering wheels and a few other bits and pieces...

That's it for now, will be back when that's done..

Thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 19

14 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Nice work Ed and thanks for the tip on the dials. Mine came without any either, and the specific Archer are out of print, so I will look for a set of those or similar. Cheers.👍

Thanks Stef, as dials go these are not too bad, when I do another armoured car I would definitely get the 1/72 set as well as even the 1/48 are a bit big for the smaller dials....

Ed

11 hours ago, Trevor L said:

The oil paints really bring things to life.

I hadn't thought of using them for dust on the wheels.

Thanks Trevor, I really do like oils for the weathering, for the dusting I mixed white oil paint with a touch of yellow ochre into a very thin mix and just spread it around. Once dry just dampen a stubby brush and blend everything in. That's the great thing about oils, if you have put too much on It's easy to take off again later...

all the best

Ed

31 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Very nice Ed, wheels look weally good....:whistle:

😁  Thanks Darryl, that's much appreciated..

Ed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

What solvent do you use Ed?

Cheers

Hello Cliff, I just use odourless thinners, I moisten the brush and then rub onto tissue to get most of it off, then slowly rub away on the area to get the effect that I want. If you end up in a mess just use some more to take completely off and start again...

hope that helps

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, John Masters said:

This is really beautiful.  I hope you don't mind if I use your build technique for inspiration on larger vehicles later on?

Your very welcome John, I have no problems with that, that's what this site is for, to share ideas...

all the best

Ed

Hello folks, managed to do a little bit more to my Austin armoured car. Since the last update I started to assemble the flooring and front mudguards to the chassis. I have to say everything is a very good fit, no issues at all. Here are a couple of photo's to show where I'm at...

y4mHqntB6ZVFaFaVDbCpGx3yKyrlXhtwi_p3hJXz

y4mLUOypNynjdw3HqO-tOixtA-zwz6elqO8BXB6j

I added and weathered the seats, steering wheels and foot pedals, also used a bit of burnt umber and some pigments in various areas to add variety to the colour...

A few close up photo's, this one showing the engine assembly...

y4mCNWV1vPFzFE9QQCnkUp_mvWmQVvJt7wsW6wWQ

The front drivers area...

y4mUsSsus6TDfMSRwW9L0XTcWPPK7kSHzo-J4lT6

The rear drivers area...

y4miaJ4WGKjLbDIUAluDqi6YW5hsZrBi-PlsOUii

That's pretty much all that needs to be done to the chassis assembly, a few bits I've left off, like the foot mount to get into the vehicle, I've left this off for now as I would probably break it when installing the top body part. Also I left the bonnet stay's until later on...

Now I started to look at the body assembly, I think Miniart are getting even more sadistic. If putting about 15 gates for you to trim off on a short piece of rod is not bad enough, look at the photo below...

y4mfAR6dSlfIWgwz5PBMWhmxkHosDBSoOiM97Snz

Miniart provide a couple of sprue lengths of rivets as shown in the bottom left hand corner of the photo, you need to shave these off and glue to the body shown on the right, you may just see some indentations from top to bottom on the extreme left hand side of the part. I don't mind doing a couple of these, but there are 38 to do in total, 19 on each side, I mean....really!  :wall:

Enough said, all the best,

I'll be back one day, when I have finished the rivets..... (For anyone thinking of mentioning any riveting jokes...:mg: )

Ed

• Like 20

Wonderful Ed, love how this is all coming together, paint and weathering as you proceed, your detail work is on point as ever!

Really like the brass and copper effects too.

I never knew about the rear driver, you just know some joker would have tried to have a go whilst driver at the front was doing what drivers do!

Anyway, another riveting instalment.....:tumble:

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Trevor L said:

That's looking great.

If it were me those rivets would be 'accidently' overlooked!

Thanks for that Trevor, I'm a glutton for punishment, so here I go...

Ed

12 hours ago, StuartH said:

Beautiful work on the chassis. I particularly like those weathered seats 👌

Thank you Stuart, that's much appreciated, that's the first time I have tried that effect to seats, I quite like the look of the effect...

Ed

7 hours ago, Maginot said:

This is looking very smart indeed.

Many thanks, I really appreciate that...

Ed

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Wonderful Ed, love how this is all coming together, paint and weathering as you proceed, your detail work is on point as ever!

Really like the brass and copper effects too.

I never knew about the rear driver, you just know some joker would have tried to have a go whilst driver at the front was doing what drivers do!

Anyway, another riveting instalment.....:tumble:

Darryl 

Thank you Darryl for the kind comments..

" I never knew about the rear driver, you just know some joker would have tried to have a go whilst driver at the front was doing what drivers do! "

I think that person would be me, I'd just love to do that and wind them up a bit...🤣

all the best

Ed

• Haha 1

Excellent work as usual Ed, it's really looking the business.

I think the rivet thing is due to the limitations of the injection moulding process. It would make it difficult to remove the part if they include the rivets on the curved surfaces. Meng included them on the Roll Royce but it meant the rivets were elongated so I had to replace them anyway.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Excellent work as usual Ed, it's really looking the business.

I think the rivet thing is due to the limitations of the injection moulding process. It would make it difficult to remove the part if they include the rivets on the curved surfaces. Meng included them on the Roll Royce but it meant the rivets were elongated so I had to replace them anyway.

Wayne

Many thanks Wayne, you may well be right, I never thought of that, I just thought at the time it was a bit unusual for them to that as  in all their models that I have done, this is the first time I've had to do that. Never mind I've done them all now without any issues. Onto the next bit now...

thanks for commenting, it's much appreciated...

Ed

• Like 1

Hello everyone, another quick update, after putting on the rivets onto the body panels I then had to prepare the parts for the main body...

Here's a photo of some of those parts, I just had to add some handles and PE. The photo just covers the main body, I've not included the assembly that goes over the engine in this picture...

y4mxf36gTWYCppvMc7BpOKOdh9q15QaGiEQEWmhw

The assembly of the main body was quite straight forward, parts all fit very nicely together...

y4mjjonFqlLI8xaBFXqqbFeZ1kE48J6JB2eVMix5

y4mowZefzKFqL6PhGqRwUK8XER_zurNUw9MWfWz8

A couple of photo's showing the body on the chassis. I have to say that the engineering that Miniart have done on this is just superb, the body just nicely slips into place without any issues at all...

y4mdSSLdNxhtfwTrxWmJ9Zww19GE6IWgoPHa2Flv

y4maFKO3TYi9091tRuoSIIEOp1L7GPMrD0qrvI3M

It's slowly beginning to take shape now, I'm really starting to like the look of this vehicle. Up to this point, It's been a really nice model to build...

Next up is to start painting and weathering the interior, then I need to start work on the exterior details, like the hatches, doors and rear mud guards, lamps etc..

I'll be back when I have more to show,

As always thanks for looking in,

all the best

Ed

• Like 16

12 hours ago, Trevor L said:

It's coming together very nicely.

Many thanks Trevor, that's much appreciated...

Ed

10 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

That's really taking shape now Ed! Looks like you're on the home run now.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne, I 've just gone passed the half way stage now, still lots to do, but it's coming along nicely..

all the best

Ed

• Like 2