Miniart 1/35 Austin Armoured Car - Ukrainian ***FINISHED***

They are fantastic details and - more importantly - fit wise. I assembled the chassis and interior as one part and the "carapace" as another. They slide into each other with as good as no misalignment and no gaps. All that in this tiny scale compared to 1/35 armors. Incredible engineering!

• Like 1

Hi there, a new update. I started to work on the chassis, MD pointed out that it is difficult to fit the engine into place with one of the front members in place so I decided to leave out as shown...

y4mfqFyLdcr9-Y_lfHOQVrWzocuFsFKLQdXaOONS

The engine assembly went in fine and MD is right, as it is difficult or pretty much impossible to get this in with the member in place. It was still a bit of a fiddle and I broke off the manifold in the process...

y4msQbEGkNOhKiE_eyyMX6u3uOgT3EOn-xc7vT9n

I wanted to take the engine assembly off so that I could carry on with the chassis assembly, I only dry fitted the front member to check the fit of everything, but the fit was a bit tight and then with more twisting the engine came away from the sump as I had obviously not put enough glue in place and  with a stroke of luck I came upon a better solution to fixing the engine in place. Its better not to glue the sump to the engine as per instructions but to glue the sump to the engine support brackets and gluing this in place to the chassis as shown...

y4miAZAp9Fcr0HZLB5z0IsIg2EeUZtuNxEkD5WFn

Now the engine will just easily fit on top without all the messing about. I think Miniart have got the instructions wrong here, so anyone doing one of these in the future, this is possibly the way to go....

So I carried on constructing the chassis, It doesn't look much but this has taken hours and hours of work just to get to this stage. If the rest of the kit is as involved then It's a good job I have till February next year to finish this off.  Still It's a cracking model and I'm really enjoying it so far. There are still a few more parts to add to the chassis but I need the engine in place to do so. Here's where I'm at...

y4m-Cmwgu1s3HEfOgzLIl0Ebpc7c2b1uAbnng8pA

y4mx4kpZ11wQD2f9-KYFHOvjIO1nsT8g7I34PPq7

Next up is to prime and then paint the chassis and then I can fit the engine assembly in place and finish off the chassis...

I'll be back when I have more to show...

all the best

Ed

• Like 17

3 hours ago, edjbartos said:

It doesn't look much but this has taken hours and hours of work just to get to this stage.

I know the feeling and all too true!

Coming along really nicely and you've done a great job getting that engine to fit just right 👏

• Thanks 1

Looking good Ed. Are the white tubes/pipes in the last 2 photos, extras you have added or do they come with the kit?

Good tip about fitting the engine, i will use that when i do one of these in the future. Got my eye on the British version as i like the ones with blue turrets.

George

• Thanks 1

Absolutely romping ahead Ed, well in comparison to some....:whistle:

It's a real treat watching your super clean builds and this one I'm sure won't disappoint. 

Great work

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Looking good Ed. Are the white tubes/pipes in the last 2 photos, extras you have added or do they come with the kit?

Good tip about fitting the engine, i will use that when i do one of these in the future. Got my eye on the British version as i like the ones with blue turrets.

George

Thank you George, the white parts are 0.64mm dia polystyrene rod by Evergreen. You have to supply these yourself, not entirely sure why Miniart have chosen to do this, perhaps they couldn't figure out how to put 15 gates on each side for us to trim 😁 .   I think the whole range of these cars look really good and am tempted to do some more.

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Absolutely romping ahead Ed, well in comparison to some....:whistle:

It's a real treat watching your super clean builds and this one I'm sure won't disappoint. 

Great work

Darryl 

Thank you Darryl for the kind words, not sure how clean the build will get with all the work that I have to do to follow. Looking at the instructions the mud guards could be a cause of concern, I have already been warned by @armored76 on the previous post,  we shall see...

all the best both of you

Ed

• Like 3

I knew it would be a good idea to watch you build yours first, at this rate you are going to save me hours of pain. :giggle:

You're making a great job of it though, hopefully the rest of it will be plain sailing.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

I knew it would be a good idea to watch you build yours first, at this rate you are going to save me hours of pain. :giggle:

You're making a great job of it though, hopefully the rest of it will be plain sailing.

Wayne

Many thanks Wayne, much appreciated, I think you already know the type of build that this is going to be after you did that amazing Omnibus, which looked a lot harder than this...

all the best

Ed

Hello there, since the last update I have primed the chassis and painted it anthracite grey, the instructions call for black but I prefer this colour. The engine assembly went into position easily but the transmission was a bit of a fiddle getting it into position. Once the engine was in place I added the radiator, here are a couple of photo's...

y4m0hi8xle2AG-cx7_jbdTTObPTOncsOWc8tePVs

y4mYmU3bJt9ARMgvoxGMEUikwR3kNPaHFQmLyEtw

I then started to work on the wheels, it was just a simple push the wheel into the tyre, job done, It's a very tight fit so I didn't bother with glue. Nice detail on the wheels....

y4mThxdrzkHkF_r_0Mv4r8WmPu5loyUIW88jE5zc

I then started on the assembly of the front mudguards to the side plate, these have been primed and are now ready for the top coat once I sort out the shades that I want to use...

y4me6Grc1g1iJmr-QZ1NbeeaVSOX8CUNQrupRGMC

I have also prepared the parts for the flooring...

y4mGHMhersbII7mrqTHPdHl5nF4xh5JpJMBRxbaw

Now I can't decide what to do next, I'm in two minds which is the best option. I can either paint the flooring first and then assemble onto the chassis or I can assemble everything onto the chassis, mask the engine and other bits off, then paint the flooring in situ. I'm considering the second option and paint in situ as with all the fiddling around getting the parts to locate I'm most probably going to damage any paintwork that I have done. I'll do the wheels first then have a think...

After painting the wheels, I'm going to do the top coat on the front mudguards, then do the flooring once I decide what to do...

That's all for now, thanks for looking in

all the best

Ed

• Like 21

10 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Nice work Ed. And you're not the only one that's hit the "where to next" paint puzzle. 👍

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lovely work on the engine and chassis.

Stuart

Thanks for the comments chaps' that's much appreciated

Ed

Brilliant Ed the endine and chassis painted and assembled looks tremendous. 

As for the "where to next" conundrum, that's my reaction just upon opening the box !

Looking forward to the next installment!

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Brilliant Ed the endine and chassis painted and assembled looks tremendous. 

As for the "where to next" conundrum, that's my reaction just upon opening the box !

Looking forward to the next installment!

Darryl 

Thanks for the kind comments Darryl, that's much appreciated...

Ed

• Like 1

The chassis and engine looks great Ed, 

As for which way to go re the floor, I think I would be tempted to get the basic painting done before fitting. I hate masking up and would worry about damaging any delicate parts. 

I would think any weathering would cover up any damage to the paint work.

Wayne.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

The chassis and engine looks great Ed, 

As for which way to go re the floor, I think I would be tempted to get the basic painting done before fitting. I hate masking up and would worry about damaging any delicate parts. 

I would think any weathering would cover up any damage to the paint work.

Wayne.

Many thanks Wayne for your thoughts, when I normally do Miniart interior builds I normally paint first and then assemble, I don't know why all of a sudden I started to doubt that this time round. I think I will  do as you suggest and paint first, I'll do another dry fit to make sure all will be ok...

thanks again

Ed

9 hours ago, Ned said:

What I usually do is get into 'build mode' and forget about the paint until I have gone beyond what would be a good break point, so then just think 'what the hell' and build the whole thing.

That's great Ned, that made me laugh, It is tempting sometimes..

Ed

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 10:52 PM, Ned said:

What I usually do is get into 'build mode' and forget about the paint until I have gone beyond what would be a good break point, so then just think 'what the hell' and build the whole thing.

Is there another way?

Hi Ed,

Lovely build and beautiful painting. I really like your exhaust manifold. If I can achieve a similar effect I will be really happy. These detailed First World War subjects are fun.

Ray

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IanC said:

Fantastic work Ed. And FWIW, I'd get the painting done first. Touch ups are easier than struggling to reach inaccessible bits. 😀

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Ed,

Lovely build and beautiful painting. I really like your exhaust manifold. If I can achieve a similar effect I will be really happy. These detailed First World War subjects are fun.

Ray

Many thanks guy's for your kind words, I have already started to paint first prior to assembly as I normally do, not sure why I questioned it this time, maybe It was a subject that I was totally unfamiliar with, anyway I'm doing it now. So hopefully I will update in a couple of days time...

all the best

Ed