Miniart 1/35 Austin Armoured Car - Ukrainian ***FINISHED***

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

Looking good now Ed. The machine guns are excellent.

Happy Christmas 

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Brilliant work Ed. Have a great Christmas too and enjoy your festive break.👍

1 hour ago, StuartH said:

Fabulous work with the photoetch and really taking shape now.

Great work and look forward to seeing it painted 👍

Thanks for the kind comments guy's, it's really appreciated...

Ed

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

As always Ed, great work. The MG's and the turrets look very good. See you once the old man with the white beard has been and gone.

John.

That's much appreciated John, many thanks, hope you have a good one...👍

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, hope everyone had a good Christmas, I managed to do some priming to the body work this afternoon. I masked everything off and held doors on with masking tape from the inside so I can easily detach later on...

y4mCw02MZIsBYdO3eWvLknJQvVV0TeRER1kWcT76

I primed both the turrets and painted the inside white. I just need to pin wash the  inside and weather to match the inside of the body... The turret tops, I will have detachable on the finished model so that you can have a sneaky peak on the insides...

y4mc95_fkuC8AvBJYpyjnQo11a4zLjsSX8Uyb3sz

I also primed and painted white the two machine gun stands, just need to pin wash and add a bit of weathering to them later on...

y4mPbxSR1GNj7qp-tYzDicPFNRLwwARoU9mJryjn

That's it for now, just a quick update to keep things rolling along. Next up I will start at adding the base coat to the body and turret, see you then...

all the best

Ed

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Next up I will start at adding the base coat to the body and turret, see you then...

That's the bit that I'm waiting for. It takes on a character all of it's own and starts to come to life. Nice work Ed.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's the bit that I'm waiting for. It takes on a character all of it's own and starts to come to life. Nice work Ed.

John.

Thanks John, yes I'm looking forward to getting the base coat on at last and I'll do that in the next couple of days, then I can get on with the weathering

all the best

Ed

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

Looking good Ed. What paint do you use for your primer?

George

Thank you George. I used this primer/thinner...

y4mlUvh4GXv2kji4-F_48Qp4JEmfg54N9W2-KEZK

It's the first time I've used it, my brother in law recommended it to me. I mixed 50/50 in a mixing cup then added to the airbrush. Sprays very nicely and leaves a nice smooth finish..

all the best 

Ed

• Like 1

Thanks Ed, I have heard bad things about the 3rd gen paint, but have tried brush painting some and found it pretty good. Might have to give the primer a go.

George

• Like 1

Hello everyone, at last I have managed to get some paint down on the body of my car...

y4mGCIN-uGcIDpKurdA5FH_-REVIhoVahLRyCsqL

I applied the base coat, then added a little bit of Beige paint to the green to lighten up a bit and then sprayed onto the tops of panels. I added some more Beige to the green and brushed on highlight's to all the rivets to bring them out a bit. I repeated the process for all the other hatches...

Next up is to add satin varnish to seal everything which will darken the colours, then add some decals and start on doing some pin washes to the panels and the rivets...

See you when I have more to show...

all the best

Ed

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Looks lovely in the green Ed. What green have you used out of interest?

George

Thanks George, I had a number of greens to choose from, Miniart call for Moss Green for the bodywork. The green I used was Vallejo 71.010 Interior Green. This was a slightly lighter shade than the others that I have, I knew that after varnishing the colour would darken up a bit and the colours a bit more of a moss green than the others that I had.

thanks for commenting 

Ed

Hello all, since last update I started to paint and assemble the two machine guns. These are really fiddly to put together, could have done with an octopus to help, but got there in the end. They are nicely detailed and look quite nice...

y4mSnaYRYm6imrf9GMhemWfUwN_sAhQX6CMRKvSD

So I mounted them into their locations inside the turrets...

y4mArzCz5bxkhM9WVj5QI5G5JkRHpV2YS4nmB6U1

Another view of the turrets with the machine guns in place...

y4m-iZkSd8t9RFj_d48ditierMY2wryXjmLoGJkL

I then started to work on the body. I first applied a satin varnish and then added the decals. I did a pin wash on all the rivets and then finally applied a matt varnish to seal everything in. The matt will give me a good surface to start applying the oil paints.

A photo showing the body with hatches all pin washed and ready for weathering...

y4mk_zHHVmUHGdS6iLutG_qAUeMHesiIKQSoQV_k

So that now forms a good base to start adding all the weathering that I need to add to the model and will start on that soon...

I think I will also try and do a simple base for this, I think it would be nice to do one for a change, so will also start on that soon as well...

I'll be back in a while when I have more to show,

All the best and thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 12

Your Austin is coming together nicely.  I really like the level detail in this kit. I like the subject and I recently finished one in 72nd scale; seeing yours is tempting me to get one of the larger 35th scale kits too.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Your Austin is coming together nicely.  I really like the level detail in this kit. I like the subject and I recently finished one in 72nd scale; seeing yours is tempting me to get one of the larger 35th scale kits too.

cheers, Graham

Thanks Graham for your comments, much appreciated,  these are lovely kits to make you'll enjoy them I'm sure. The level of detail is superb on all their kits, It's also nice to see that Miniart are back in production.

all the best 

Ed

1 hour ago, Trevor L said:

Nice pin washing, and the guns look great - such a shame they will be hidden away.

Thank you Trevor for your kind comments, I'm going to have the tops of the turrets removable so that you will see the inside, In fact a lot of item's will be removable to show everything off...

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've missed a great deal of this over Christmas. It's really progressed well. Going to be a showstopper!

Many thanks Bertie, I hope so. I'm now at the finishing stages to the model so won't update again until I've finished. I'm just starting to do a simple base for this at the moment, so will post when all that is completed...

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I have finally finished my Austin armoured car. What a model to make, I really enjoyed doing this. I will apologize in advance, as there are quite a few photo's coming up. There is so much detail that Miniart have packed into their models, it would be a shame not to show them off. So to begin with, a quick view around the finished model....

y4mIRwaXtSIw0XUsmkqFbOfGlphQ70PT6LHSMGkg

y4mXBuERfCIN4acB3EdolHe9oIOLpcfUBBXJr6Vj

y4mLY9Ozm2OqTeW_9ArnafHcUSh12trcqYiIbPw2

y4mUtebHHQTSKpVs4thw3p2YtpZomK4Sd4U_r51r

As with most of my Interior builds, I like to show as much inside detail as possible, so to start off, the turret tops are detachable to show off both the Vickers guns...

y4m8MTdFxiYtkifOeIVrg7CKXbW82_fwGaQTBVDt

The turrets can be removed to show a little of the interior, other photo's later will show off more of the interior...

y4mN_8GRwAUT2dWnxbHSa17KUKwZ7UKmgvbiwleI

I decided to make a simple base for this. I just used a picture frame and built it up with wood on the sides and added some Styrofoam packing that I had. After adding some Das clay to shape the ground work I primed everything then added static grass. The grass I had from ages ago and was a very bright green colour, so I sprayed in situ with a bit of Desert yellow to tone it down a bit...

y4m6_ivBnWCUY9x-ZFLDtTQgWkIz162BNvZDkY9i

A few photo's with the car in place....

y4mMvZj1eW9hFTvK_6vGS1dcXJVH8P9r168pnWkZ

y4mdQNRJdmoYDIXzxlx8-1BiMpaXSTa5JKshZplW

I also made the model so that the engine covers can be removed and I have used some glue dots which were cut thinly and applied to the inside of the hinges of the doors and hatches so that they can be opened or closed at will...

y4mm85rLrsvuSrL2Vz9i-8tVqrfCWzFXzD9ZTcnz

y4mCnjh_O8h_u-NgAHzFvKlpwGd9nbQpZv27YM6c

y4m_MVd75KTWDjST2xKbUfClRc2pXxe3Rzy3IhxJ

The great thing about this model is that the whole body can be removed from the chassis to show off the interior....

y4m8Jls1FzWuMLqUC6DcQm1IvnE6PhZs9qoeVmsL

Finally some photo's of the interior....

y4mE8nx8ZLsiZiwEc5YUZj8QJl2r4_CgYxUpQt4C

y4mtW8ImnUU7GcQgnMHhFXoTFLv0ceS1Nvubxz83

The engine is really nice to make and to detail...

y4mIWejVuI8M4JiOdvppX0mH-bW8kjYVr8wjo1Ux

That's it, I hope you like it.  A wonderful model to make, I will definitely do another one in the future, now that I have found a few pitfalls, but have managed to do a few work arounds. I just need to add a few photo's to the gallery and then my entry is complete.

Thanks to all those who have looked in and and added likes and especially to all those who have made comments and given encouragement, it's been much appreciated...

all the best 

Ed 

• Like 15

• edjbartos changed the title to Miniart 1/35 Austin Armoured Car - Ukrainian ***FINISHED***