Miniart 1/35 Austin Armoured Car - Ukrainian ***FINISHED***

Hello everyone, my entry for this group build will be a Miniart Austin Armoured Car. There are two Ukrainian versions, a Polish and a Georgian one. I always like the box art covers that Miniart produce and have  always ended up doing that particular version. So that's the one I will be doing this time as well, which is the "Army of the Ukrainian People's Republic, Sich Riflemen, Autumn 1919". 

y4mpfuRPXlK3T8DUtPbGq-Rvis5vOS16pK0yJy14

y4mR-yZyvIbUnLNRCpO_1yKsNwjggJ-MTUTmYwWH

y4m0TJag0KZ_WlOuDiV9r7okM2b8yc7mau2oLDmN

I have had this model for a while now, so was very pleased that we had this group build so that I could do this. This is a lovely looking kit with lots of lovely detail and It's an Interior build, which I'm looking forward to. But typically with Miniart, there are lots of very small parts and quite a few straight fragile pieces that have lots of gates on. So will probably have to substitute some with rod or wire, I'll see as I go along.

y4mP5QtLZHW39gAXUU2Chn8ZsX_2xSyhXh2mSA-v

y4mlUXi6Xd3k77nTzquo9kb0THlDXGC3PJMXh650

y4mY-8IY53f94NFRrSDROIwdoepTihr-czvikpDz

MD has kindly given some info regarding his build, with difficulties that he had encountered, so will take note and see if I have the same issues. So all I have done now is to label the different sprues for easy identification and I'm looking forward to starting the build...

all the best 

Ed

• Like 22

10 hours ago, CliffB said:

A great choice Ed :popcorn:

That poor little Austin chassis must have struggled under the weight of all that armour!

I agree, I can just hear the suspension creaking under all that weight...

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had one of these on my Wishlist for sometime. I see there are 8 different versions available now.

Will keep an eye on your build for future reference as i am sure you will make a great job of it.

George

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, my first update on this group build, I thought I'd start on the easy bit, the engine.... 🤣    It's taken hours to get to this stage. I have done two sub assemblies in the engine block and the transmission, then I have prepared the rest of the parts needed to complete the assembly minus the support rails for the engine. 

y4m8-iwTzmex_FjMh_YImUxohXmYJI-z0F_HD5JH

As always with Miniart there are loads of detail and lots of small parts, not sure how much of the engine will be seen at the end, I'll have a think about that as the build progresses. I probably have a couple of parts to glue together next, then I shall prime and paint the pieces separately for ease and then assemble together. I will also attempt to add some wire to simulate ignition cables but that needs to be done after assembly on that particular side.

That's all  for now, see you soon

all the best

Ed

• Like 16

Hi everyone, finally managed a few hours to do some more work, I've been decorating all week so not had much time to do anything. So I started to paint the different engine components sepeartely, It's much easier to do it this way, for me anyway and then assemble together once dry. The whole assembly is extreemly fiddly with very small PE parts so you need a good pair of tweezers to hold parts securely when glueing. I always like to try and add ignition cables if possible and nearly ended up not putting them on at all as trying to route round the various components was a bit of a game to say the least.

So here are a couple of photo's of the engine with transmission, mounted on engine support brackets.

y4mFPUoVIYrJZOU9hBaGxVuAkYbPz6Vvkl40c_2N

y4mOkwHXZkXJ_3P9vdSC-UistfbVl2IEkr9kceO3

Next up I will be starting on the chassis, this looks quite involved, so will look forward to doing that.

See you soon, when I have more to show.

all the best

Ed 

• Like 22

12 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Your engine is looking fantastic - beautiful work :thumbsup:

Kris

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

Lovely work Ed. I take it you will have the bonnet open to show this off?

George

Many thanks both of you, It's much appreciated. I will definitely have as much open on this vehicle as I can. I have enjoyed doing the engine, but being a lot smaller than a tank engine I found it a lot more fiddly to do, with so many parts to assemble. Good fun though 😁

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work on the engine Ed. It's a little diamond.

John.

5 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

That's a neat little engine Ed, they really don't skimp on detail.

Good luck with the chassis. 

Wayne

Many thanks gents for your kind words, that’s really appreciated…

Ed

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Lovely work Ed and up to your usual high standards too!

I do like the brass and copper effects you've achieved on the engine assembly. 

Good luck

Darryl 

Many thanks Darryl, that's much appreciated. For the first time I used "AK true metal", which comes in a tube just like oil paints. You just use a brush and just spread it around, no vapours or smells and after about 30 minutes you can polish it if you wish. It's really quite effective. Here's a little video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNGFAgWmGU

all the best

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Many thanks Darryl, that's much appreciated. For the first time I used "AK true metal", which comes in a tube just like oil paints. You just use a brush and just spread it around, no vapours or smells and after about 30 minutes you can polish it if you wish. It's really quite effective. Here's a little video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNGFAgWmGU

all the best

Ed

Thanks Ed, I've some of the steel coloured stuff, haven't really found a suitable use for it but the brass and copper might be good.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 5:30 PM, edjbartos said:

Next up I will be starting on the chassis, this looks quite involved, so will look forward to doing that.

I think you should have the bonnet open if possible...that's too nice to keep hidden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

I think you should have the bonnet open if possible...that's too nice to keep hidden.

Thanks John, yes I shall have the bonnet open on both sides, doors, hatches, in fact anything that opens up will be opened..😁

Ed

That looks great so far, Ed! The added cables must have been quite some work.

As I'm currently building one of these myself (since July!) I can tell you the fiddly work won't stop with the engine 😆 Almost every section requires the same amount of dedication. Not even sure which step to highlight but attaching the mud guards are a show of their own.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, armored76 said:

I can tell you the fiddly work won't stop with the engine 😆 Almost every section requires the same amount of dedication. Not even sure which step to highlight but attaching the mud guards are a show of their own.

Gee thanks for that! 🤣 Only joking, seriously I know It’s only going to get worse, there are so many small parts in the construction. I have just completed the basic chassis frame and that took me hours of work and I’m just planning now which is the best way forward. With this kit you need to look well ahead in the instructions as i’ve nearly got caught out already with part orientation. I’ve done enough Miniart kits to know they are a challenge, but I just love doing them.

Thanks for your comments. It’s really appreciated

Ed