I wont sing the "Its alright for some" song John, but you may hear vague echoes in the distance mate. 

Which reminds me I finished off the can of tasty beer you left lying around the AirBNB the other week, nice elderflower flavours, cheers.

And now a bit more of a go at the emaciated, or should I say 'understated' tail feathers of Airfix origin on the Scout.

Already mentioned the tail rotor upstand/fin needing replacing (done!) and now attention turns to the tailplane which was similarly lightly touched on by Airfix.

John Aero of this parish used to supply aerofoil section strips for this kind of purpose and fortunately I have several sizes of said strip available.

I took one of a suitable section to reduce to scale dimensions and began the industrial stuff to make a new tailplane, here one end is to size with the other end as a blank to trim.

P1010501.jpg

A central subframe holds the tailplane to the 'plane later, that'll be easy enough.

The tal rotor shaft Airfix supply is, yes, you guessed it somewhat emaciated and when applied to the fin top its inadequacies do show, dont they?

P1010503.jpg

Let me illuminate

P1010504.jpg

At the lower tip of the fin I have added a demi-semi-sesqui?-circular blob of AIrfix plastic which represents the rotor pitch control housing that carries a chain drive to alter pitch when commanded by the yaw pedals in the cockpit.

This control circuit runs along the main tail cone and the actual rotor drive runs along inside the tail spine and round to the drive gearing, with me yet?  Sorry since it only matters to me after all, but the Airfix bit is too stunted to do the job in real life.

All these things are glued in and awaiting me getting the new chain drive fettled this afternoon.

I have used my Army Painter wet palette to repaint some of the engine deck components, lets have a look and see whether I got the floppy rigger deeply enough under the fixed position components shall us? 

P1010507.jpg

Not too bad but do I detect a sliver of white inside the triangular rear bulkhead recess?

Hmm.

P1010508.jpg

At least this side looks OK, well that's it for this morning.

Something of nothing to do today so I'm off to enjoy a day of retirement routine...

"Have you seen where I left my slippers Mrs P?"

• Like 13

Coming along nicely Bill.

I've had to do a lot of 'toing and froing' this weekend on family matters etc, and on Sunday I happened to pass Middle Wallop, where there happened to be a model show in progress. T'was as if my big sister was looking after me............... a great place to stop for a short look round!

I came upon this sad old thing, and took lots of pics, thinking about this build. These are shots just of the tail, might help.....

Middle Wallop 2023

Middle Wallop 2023

Middle Wallop 2023

Middle Wallop 2023

HTH

T.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Oh blimey just noticed...

Rivets...

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Of course, there is a static tail rotor "lock" device confusing the picture. The grey coloured rusty bits!

T.

It's ok I recognised what that was, cheers

• Like 3

I did actually take more of the engine area, which I'm happy to post but you seem largely done there and it was all a bit rusty/cobweb like, but still shows detail.

55 minutes ago, perdu said:

How did you know?

Modellers sixth sense ............. 🤫

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As it happens, so to speak, I gave my set of HGW rivets an outing, after reading the exposé in the Riveteers handbook A.K.A  'ZE419 a Sea King that...' from Ex-FAAWAFU, on how to apply them which has been a mystery to me ever since I bought them in a hurry after reading said exposé.

Applied to a piece of historical Froggery we get this

17011780852106685518212858612557.jpg

I wonder if they get old and tired like me, they have been in the decalset since 2016 and thus may have begun to fail.

Or maybe I should read on, I vaguely recall that Crisp had a few asides on their use later on...

I used this and the wonderful photos from Our Terry to set the tail end a little closer to 'right' the setting I prefer

westland-scout-ah1-xt626-14-of-54.jpg

This useful shot shows the bit I have been concentrating on, not the tailplane nor the rear skid but the upper area with the chain drive cover for changing the tail rotor pitch and the tail warning light parked at the very extreme end of the fin.

As you see  this useful tailplane mounting shot isn't as good as the ones Terry posted today

Here's my resulting set up.

1701181487113710813536930492132.jpg

I wonder how tail heavy this will be?

Find out shall we?

17011825887715985146917627110796.jpg

Hmm not bad basically, how about with a resin engine back there? 

17011828607508883675103999337583.jpg

Cheers me up, no end does that.

No artificial means of support but the cantilever-ability of the kit's bits, yeay!

• Like 16

So, for completeness Bill, here are all the Scout pictures I took on my brief visit to Middle Wallop on Sunday. 

The old girl was in a poor state in the public car park, but you never know, one or two snaps might help solve some riddles.

Just double click on the pic below, and you will be in the small Flickr album.

Westland Scout

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

but you never know, one or two snaps might help solve some riddles.

Or produce some, the Oily hydraulicey thing is quite different to the ones I copied from still life, go figure.

Anyway all very welcome additions to Scout and Scouttwo in my file menu, copied with thanks.

I have been playing with the small ribs on the side of the fuselage, the pair of added ones which need vertical stiffeners to complete the job.

But they need adding to the sharpest curves down there and they are only very slim so how can I force the strip of polycard round that tight corner.

Puzzled me for a bit then I got it.

Take a sheet of thin (0.010") polycard then cut out a hole of the radius of the fuselage curve.

Then trim off bits of curve we dont need and add the remainders to the rib ends.

P1010512.jpg

Here's some bits we dont need alongside the hole they were trimmed out of.

And as a result when painted you cant even see them., there on the ends of the lower pair of stiffeners.

Doh...

P1010510.jpg

Every time I get a bit meeaargh about things I take a look at Hendie's amazing engines and rotor gear and everything gets much nicer

17011861945251329786951426187601.jpg

Thank you for letting me blaze this trail Alan, it is damn well amazing to be using these parts in a model.

I often just sit back and bask in the tiny-niceness of this little beauty.

À bientôt.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

Anyway all very welcome additions to Scout and Scouttwo in my file menu, copied with thanks.

Always my pleasure. Actually, if you go into my Flickr account and have a scout round (did you see what I did there?), there is much to be seen amongst close to 12,000 pictures of stuff!

The trail you are blazing on that diminutive Scout is heroic, and indeed rather splendid.

On a slightly different note, whilst briefly perusing the traders at Wallop on my flying visit, I spied this.........

2023-11-29_10-22-42

Imagine my shock when I asked what price this might be ................ as the trader suggested hopefully ........ £5?, I almost fell over, and of course immediately handed over said £5, although I swear he expected me to make an offer below that!

Incidentally, the same trader also had an Esci 1/72 RF-4 Phantom for £4, so I came away a very happy lad with change from a tenner!

T

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Always my pleasure. Actually, if you go into my Flickr account and have a scout round (did you see what I did there?), there is much to be seen amongst close to 12,000 pictures of stuff!

The trail you are blazing on that diminutive Scout is heroic, and indeed rather splendid.

On a slightly different note, whilst briefly perusing the traders at Wallop on my flying visit, I spied this.........

2023-11-29_10-22-42

Imagine my shock when I asked what price this might be ................ as the trader suggested hopefully ........ £5?, I almost fell over, and of course immediately handed over said £5, although I swear he expected me to make an offer below that!

Incidentally, the same trader also had an Esci 1/72 RF-4 Phantom for £4, so I came away a very happy lad with change from a tenner!

T

Great haul Terry...

And at such a price... :yahoo::yahoo:

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

On reconsidering the oily thingy is as you'd expect but some vandal has stolen the pressure gauge

Bill - here's a pic of a slightly more indoors and intact oily thingy... HTH

Nige

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thankee kindly Nigel, appreciated. 

Saving that one for my Scoutbank too, cheers and it is a good one to show the different                                                                                                 greens the Scout encountered in its long service

53363604226_1f28a2a8c5_b.jpg

I hope you didnt hurt the poor guys hand when you wrenched it from his unsuspecting grasp El Tel.

Do remember that Matchboxer is in need of severious surgery to get the nose and the hump into competing standard but is in itself a rather decent way to pay homage to Maurice when completed.

• Like 10

It begins

Yes it is time to attempt to continue treating Alan's jewel of a Nimbus without making it look tatty

I notice, when looking at Nimbus that the most visible pipes and hoses travel at an angle over the engine so with this in mind the first of many pipes are set at angles and with curves.

P1010515.jpg

Here we have black and blue hydraulic hoses and over the top of the engine the main wiring loom tails away towards the end of the starboard side.

In this picture you can see it climbing round the unit from just in front of the oil cooler duct

P1010517.jpg

I am a bit worried about adding simple wires and cables in such a tiny scale so I might let this stay like it at the end

P1010516.jpg

A nice new irritant.

Some of the new pipes have taken a hike, doh...

I know I mentioned curved pipes, these will have more pronounced curves (bends if you don't want to pronounce curves) later when the glue sets.

ciao

• Like 13

1 hour ago, hendie said:

that is looking bloody marvelous Bill.  I struggled with the piping in 1/48 so how you manage this in 1/72 is beyond me. Marvelous.

Yerss well, we aren't there yet old pal

More to follow now I'm back in the chair again (My hobby space is shared these days, I get early mornings and afternoon telly watching time)

:) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always ask myself

Is this enough?

17013541471746303323390274505303.jpg

Just needs braces from engine mount to gearbox stays

17013544580365757911141907552085.jpg

Can you see where it is yet?

1701354483157474958677594790083.jpg

And over here too

Now about those pipes