9 hours ago, perdu said:

All ridiculously tiny huh...

That's what makes you a master.... :clap:

Ciao

• Like 5

On 24/04/2024 at 08:51, perdu said:

17139420098755718579512024790835.jpg

this looks adequate, but I wish I had the actual length of the lower arm in 1:1 scale*, it would be a big bonus if I had at least one accurate dimension instead of 'a nearly as long as the pencil line on my desk' type of thing.

Been away from this thread for a few weeks while I spent some time researching a work's colleague's Great Grandfather whom he discovered recently fought at the Battle of Jutland so I was working out what he did during the battle and where else he served in an illustrious 22 year career.

Some really great work going on but I hate to say it, I think that undercarriage is a wee bit too wide.  Unfortunately I don't have access to a copy of the Mk 9A aircrew manual so cannot check the exact dimensions, but looking at these images, which are the nearest I can find to a head on shot on line, 

ze376-army-air-corps-westland-lynx-ah9_P

2-Lynx-helicopter.jpg

I would say each strut is not more than about 70% of the cabin width at that point.

On 24/04/2024 at 08:51, perdu said:

Also visible hanging under most Lynxes (the AH9-A included0 is a defensive suite of oddball shapes rather like a demented dustbin holding tight to an oddball thingy device 

That'll be the AN/ALQ 144 IR jammer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ralph, its been preying on my mind but I didn't have such good guide images available

Oh well onwards and thingy

I have hacked the struts down about 70% ish and been concentrating on the bits hanging off the airframe

I found that using the kit versions of weapons loading points just didnt work for me so the main area of concentration has been the mount for the M3M gun hanging off the side by the door and the mount it sits on

and the most eclectic dooberries hanging off the rear of the cabin have been exercising my little mind

1716478985851513893353643587192.jpg

I havent a clue what it's called unless it is a mounting point for Orange Crop style countermeasures

I tried making a pair of them in plastic runner/sprue but they were awfy difficult to get symmetrical, so I abandoned plan A

Plan B was to make a mount shaped piece of runner, plunge it into a dollop of plasticene then drip UV  setting resin in and irradiate the resin drops

To be honest

17164793385788672043228420358685.jpg

Yukkkkk

But I do quite like the idea of using resin

Plan C

take a well seasoned large clothes peg and carve out the shape we need for the sensor mounting point and use as a plunge mould tool with a tea light, sheet of 20 thou polycard and lots of luck to see whether it does the trick

If the first one works make 'some' for luck

17164788974474064845499350125977.jpg

Cut the shapes out of the blanks

17164790241204379045699916895672.jpg

They look like a fair first go so take some UV setting resin and drop inside each moulded piece and Uviolate them all

17164791942497655466163824847147.jpg

Clearer shot after UViating

17164792699501407898636009762674.jpg

I need two, six might be enough to start with.

OKay the Chase is still on and I need light relief, ciao

• Like 11

Been away for just over a week, so catching up with my favourite builds. Neat work there Bill, well done.

Colin

• Thanks 1

Thank you Colin, kind of you to say so

The pair of sensor mounts has been added to the fuselage and first moves to correcting the undercarriage stance is underweigh.

17165342550802761359252372696151.jpg

The legs are made from @John Aero's grey plastic tubing, which has been a godsend for my constructional work but has the drawback in this set of circumstances of being very soft to work with.

The lower arms of the u/c need convincing to stay put at the relevant angle for the task.

That isnt set yet on the model, but will be later hence needing realignment on opposite sides for now.

17165342339935433412743231449824.jpg

Voila!

The fescalised lower rods of  the shock tubes has been stuck to the lower arm with Gator's Grip Thin, my favourite for these joints where I need tough adhesion with a certain amount of flexibility in the early stages of the build.

Why do I need flexible?

The upper tube of the shocks will be added later once they're painted and the ability to move the lower pieces to fit the upper ones will be favourite then.

Next I will be tidying up the edges of the sensor fitments before painting.

'bye for now

• Like 15

2 hours ago, PeteH1969 said:

It is such a pity that Tony @Lynx7 is not about anymore as I'm sure he would be following and advising on this build and enjoying it as several of us are.

Pete

True that Pete, I would have loved Lynx7 to be involved and of course as he would have undoubtedly been helping this one along.

I am pleased if you are enjoying the progress (minimal its true) of this one

• Thanks 1

Love this multi-media modelling, with UV resin and plounge molding and all! :worthy:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2

I'm expecting to scale back on this for a day or two, but this is where it is now

The M3M .50cal gun is ready to mount on the weapons carrier

IMG-20240524-WA0008.jpg

I'm going to mount an ammunition box to the side of it and have it mounted on the port door side with the FLIR unit mounted to a frame under the nose

IMG-20240524-WA0006.jpg

A bit to do still but well on the way to the paint shop once some more greeblies have been mounted on the skin of the beast.

• Like 14

The greeblins have been fairly busy down in the greeble plant but that doesn't show up very much whilst I'm attempting to get the new engine in my Midget running but here's a little update (I hope you 'got' that, little, geddit) from the track side.

The etch doppler from one of my Airwaves Lynx sets and the antennae for the radalt were attached with Gator's thin, brassy  metal they are so quite clear :) under there in the dark along with something like the AN/ALQ 144 IR jammer.

Well a bit like the AN/ALQ 144 IR jammer, it won't jam anything tho'.

17170565440302619702582050964591.jpg

Other tiny greebles (I have to tell you or you won't notice on this weird airframe) include vents around the cabin and what I assume will be plug-in points for telebrief, assuming there will be plugs for ground crew/aircraft conversation, and mounting brackets for sensor fits.

17170565794373695614689648022315.jpg

The little bar-bell thing under the nose will be where  the FLIR unit is attached, looking forwards to that, the job will be done when it is added last thing.

Further back the fire access doors on the engines have been added to the casings as have the defence suite mountings (Oh heck can anyone confirm whether these things are Orange Crop or did that vanish with Wessex and Sea King leaving this as simply Crop-alike stuff?)

17170566225174051042562740034457.jpg

Similar stuff pertains around the other side too.

17170566668802666917560820748364.jpg

And here I have begun carving Milliput away to make the ground crew hand hold atop the engine too

This might be a timely occasion to get some base coat down in a different grey to the often quoted Sea Grey Medium, I'm NOT a believer. I will be using Light Aircraft Grey which looks far more 'right' on all the photos of these camouflaged machines.

We will see on the model later, can always change if I'm unhappy with it no?

tararabit.

• Like 15

Wonderful greebly work as ever Bill.

She'll come alive even more under green and grey paint, on which point ..........

5 hours ago, perdu said:

in a different grey to the often quoted Sea Grey Medium, I'm NOT a believer. I will be using Light Aircraft Grey which looks far more 'right' on all the photos of these camouflaged machines.

I'm totally in your camp there, and in any case much prefer "if it looks right" paint schemes to fastidious FS or BS number quoter's.

Hope the Midget comes good for Le Mans in June 🤞

Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hendie said:

a wondrous greeblefest to behold

I'd call that a headache and a half, but yes, it looks ace :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Hope the Midget comes good for Le Mans in June 🤞

I'm sure it'll be a gem.

Ok, yeah, coat... get... I know

• Haha 5

Update on Midgettery, a potential expensive heater tap fault cured by a new o-ring costing a few pennies.

Test today but I expect the trip abroad is going to be on.

Needs a few little electrical follow ups to finish her.

But still no paint on the Lynx  :( 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 30/05/2024 at 09:42, perdu said:

Further back the fire access doors on the engines have been added to the casings as have the defence suite mountings (Oh heck can anyone confirm whether these things are Orange Crop or did that vanish with Wessex and Sea King leaving this as simply Crop-alike stuff?)

I'm not 100% sure but casting my mind back, I'm pretty certain that those antennae are the AN/AAR 57 Common Missile Warning System.  Very different to Orange Crop which was a full ESM suite across quite a wide frequency band, AN/AAR 57 is purely a missile warning systems that relies predominantly on a UV detection system that looks for the missile exhaust plumes IIRC.  It's associated with a separate Radar Warner Receiver (that has a similar but much more limited function to Orange Crop) that listens out for missile RF homing heads.  There are 6 hemispherical antenna around the aircraft, painted black, 3 on either wide.  This photo shows the stbd nose cone one very well.  There's another one just forward of the transportation joint (just in front of the "ARMY" logo on the tail cone) and the third is just in front of and below the roundel, just below the level of the top of the oleo extension.

2000536.jpg?v=v40

The little bar-bell thing under the nose will be where  the FLIR unit is attached, looking forwards to that, the job will be done when it is added last thing.

When I did my Lynx HAS 3 SGM, it was fitted with Sandpiper which although wasn't quite the same as an MX-10 turret, in 1/72 there won't be a lot of difference.  I'm happy to share the .stl file with you if that helps (or .f3d for Fusion 360).  It'll need resizing but that's not too challenging

Other tiny greebles (I have to tell you or you won't notice on this weird airframe) include vents around the cabin and what I assume will be plug-in points for telebrief, assuming there will be plugs for ground crew/aircraft conversation, and mounting brackets for sensor fits.

I don't know for the Mk9A, but all of the maritime Lynx had the telebrief underneath the fuselage on the port side.  I suppose it makes sense for the Army ones to have I higher up to stop the ground crew scrabbling around in the mud.

Great work on the AAR 57 housings.  I must ask though, how do you soften the sheet styrene before you plunge mould using the buck?  Is it boiling water, holding over a flame or some other technique?  I've got to do something similar to make the 4 identical blade fold cradles for my Wessex HAS 1; I had been thinking that boiling water would suffice but the more I reflect on it, the less sure I become!

Thanks

Edited by Chewbacca
Forgot to add photo link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Great work on the AAR 57 housings.  I must ask though, how do you soften the sheet styrene before you plunge mould using the buck?  Is it boiling water, holding over a flame or some other technique? 

Thanks for the explanation Ralph, helps me get my little head round all this stuff

This might help explain

A piece of 020"(?) plasticard, held above a tea light (other flame sources are available) until it gets a bit 'flat' looking just before it flops into the heat source and placed over a hole prepared earlier, I use a spool for lead wire centre (fly fisher folk use it for fly fishing accoutrements) and push the former into it above the hole.

This is visible from the picture and is a technique I often  use for forming such shapes.

Thanks for explaining the AAR thingy system and for offering your files which I dont think I could do justice to or for, but another great BM share offer. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Ralph the picture didnt 'pick up' out of Postimage, let's try again.

17173737998467783103565203152071.jpg

My excuse?

I did it just before I went to bed, I just assumed it had gone into the post without looking...

:( 

If you do this just find a form big enough to allow the push through, as the little spool did for the moulding here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I know, I know, Bill seems to have forgotten this one!

Well 'tain'tn't true, just been getting disheartened as so very often but carrying on carrying on I have realised I cant actually get the smooth upper works the AH9A deserves so it's true I kind of gave up a bit.

But after all the help you guys have given me I think a kind of closure is called for so...

Paint

17202535468495376309526080282.jpg

Horrid isnt it, my hands are failing me it seems inevitable.

Cant paint straight lines

Or sand to them either by the look of it

17202536232128263606304775923009.jpg

The upperworks just dont want to settle properly, sanding edges dont go flush.

And its all my fault, I just cannot get deeply enough into the tasks at hand and look at how horrible the fit of  the kit windows is.

I know this has to be my fault because the navy one I built didn't give me any prior practice did it?

17202536477581473267889011586602.jpg

I did try to mask the model and use the airbrush but the MIG masking putty just fell of the bottom of the model and made my efforts laughable, so here it is with Hataka Brushable paints ready for BERP blades and additional odds and sods

I do have unused side 'windoors' and am considering tearing these out and having another try, shall I?

In the mean time please accept my apologies for taking you up a path then not doing it properly, I hope to make another attempt later on...

• Like 14

We are often our own worst critics, Bill. You can see problems and errors, while others will see a neat model of a Puma. Don't be too hard on yourself. :like:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bill, we all have off-days, or in my case, weeks.  As Heather rightly mentions we tend to over-criticize our own work on occasion and see flaws that others don't.

It might not be your best build but it still looks damn fine from here, and I'm glad you posted it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1