17086184039356029239939432067287.jpg

But

But

But I dont BUILD 48th scale

But

But

Ooh tempting innit

Our friend Hamp Man made a trip to the Brum table during SMW in 2022 and donated a laaarge bag of unwanted helicopters in my grasping mitts which included Scouts Sea Kings and the above and another 48scale helo, the Highway patrol Hughes Cayuse with additional CHIPS Harley too (OK possibly not a Harley but...)

17086186059213987357363866288393.jpg

Something draws me towards all those stencils

Strickers cheers

• Like 8

Bill with 'tension ta detail think of the greeblies and whatsits you can get stuck into on these big monsters.

48 better for the eyes 🤪

Trouble is, its like drinking, once you start its the top of a very slippery slope.

Anyhoo can't think of a better recipient.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Join the dark side of the Force....

Build 1/48 models....

As Giorgio suggests, tis a dark side Bill, but after building Airfix's 1/48 Meteor in 2022, and now working on Jim's Museum Mustang (ok, not much lately, but explanations will follow soon), I can attest it is a mighty good scale to be working in, and that's from a life long passion for 1/72.

The spirits are calling ................... :frantic:

T.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 21/02/2024 at 15:50, perdu said:

I still have to find pictures of the MAD bird attachment points on Lynx, seems kinda to be hanging off the edge of the undercarriage sponson, but as that has the flotation gear attached it seems unusual to stick it onto the endplate...

Sorry, can't really help with that.  It had gone out of service by the time I joined 702 Sqn so have never flown with it.  However, have a look at this photo of an early HAS 2 (BRAZEN Flt, sometime in 1983 at I think NAS De Kooy air day) which appears to have some hard points fitted at the front end of the stbd sponson and which I think might be part of the MAD mounting:

Lynx_HAS2_(18966479443).jpg

Also interesting to note that it has the tail skid fitted which I have only ever seen fitted to one or two RN Lynx in the very early 1980s.

On 22/02/2024 at 21:29, HAMP man said:

Bill with 'tension ta detail think of the greeblies and whatsits you can get stuck into on these big monsters.

48 better for the eyes 🤪

That's exactly why I build in 1/48.  Couldn't be dealing with that level of detail in 1/72.  But why then, do I try to do so in 1/350?

On 24/02/2024 at 10:29, perdu said:

The newer colour and the nose coming together 

Looks much more like Oxford Blue to me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh what a fabulous picture Ralph, getting close in that seems to be exactly the kind of mounting points I would fit as an engineer-minded sort of bloke.

I had been thinking they might have mounted the bracketry from the hard points under the sponson lower surface which looks like far too many stress raisers for my mind to be happy with.

I am convinced you have found it for me and work will now proceed in that direction.

I am sure the colour is much better too, glad you think so too.

I wish I could make better detail out from the pictures Crisp and others have supplied, I know XZ729 was borrowed from Brilliant and her number was 342  and she was BT marked, obviously for Brilliant but I cant make out whether she wore the number on the door or not and was BT on the fin low down in 8" letters.

In the absence of clarity I might go fictional on 'go on then prove it' basis.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Couldn't be dealing with that level of detail in 1/72.  But why then, do I try to do so in 1/350?

Fair point but I bet you will not be adding instrumentation to uber-tiny Swordfish!

You ship modellers have my undying admiration, I tried and failed to be a ship modeller, although in historical times I won an IPMS Barton Holmes Trophy for a whaling trip and Ship Diorama for a narrow boat.

A cheat too, the narrow boat was a massive 1/48th scale and the whale boat 1/35ths.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I wish I could make better detail out from the pictures Crisp and others have supplied, I know XZ729 was borrowed from Brilliant and her number was 342  and she was BT marked, obviously for Brilliant but I cant make out whether she wore the number on the door or not and was BT on the fin low down in 8" letters.

As far as I can tell from the photos I have (which I think you have posted similar copies on here earlier, though I think mine might be slightly higher resolution) XZ729 had no markings whatsoever at the time of the attack, other than a single large blue/red roundel either side of the fuselage which would be commensurate with a couple of other Corporate era Lynx photos I have.  Surprisingly, I can't even see the registration on the tail boom which I thought was a legal requirement in time of war to demonstrate that it was a military aircraft. Equally as far as I can tell, there is no BT code on the knife edge fairing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that tallies with all I can make out on her.

I cannot even see the expected ROYAL NAVY tail marks.

Might spark off a number of experts to have a knock huh?

Like you I can only see the rounded.

• Like 3

Well as a result of Chewbacca's marvellous photo and the deepest drive into one I/we probably know off by heart I spent the morning session planning and drawing for the MAD bird fitment

17089395126553911522414094519487.jpg

Taken from that photo of Ralph's and this

17089398534985755579489664829530.jpg

Now we begin, OK later.

😉

• Like 9

So after this afternoon's effort, I think I have avoided scale creep

17089398534985755579489664829530.jpg

Maybe not

17089673752996900093640829873092.jpg

Oh well pass the Six inch...

I was ever so pleased with this too

17089658925846430222591727493961.jpg

Beggarit

Too big

17089661023245883484723174897611.jpg

Oh well back tomorrow huh?

• Like 11

Better prescription Neil  ;) 

I think I am going to stick here

17089694028205763285880607807265.jpg

It's just about within MY parameters, so it'll do

There is a piece of oddly sculpted bracketry atop the actual MAD Bird canister which will attach it all to the framework, working on THAT tomorrow.

Colour queries next

I understand that most airborne assets were DSGed on the voyage south and the original picture of 729 doesn't show any markings but the roundels, no ROYAL NAVY or even serial numbers probably due to darkening all over but I wonder which colour the MAD gear will be. I am thinking RAF BG or EDSG, but there is a chance it is all Oxford Blue I suppose..

Thinking cap time..

• Like 8

2 hours ago, perdu said:

There is a piece of oddly sculpted bracketry atop the actual MAD Bird canister which will attach it all to the framework, working on THAT tomorrow.

That contains the MAD winch.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I understand that most airborne assets were DSGed on the voyage south and the original picture of 729 doesn't show any markings but the roundels, no ROYAL NAVY or even serial numbers probably due to darkening all over but I wonder which colour the MAD gear will be. I am thinking RAF BG or EDSG, but there is a chance it is all Oxford Blue I suppose..

Very good question.  Looking at the B&W images, the MAD bird looks distinctly darker than the winch housing and the surrounding sponson, so if we assume that the airframe and the MAD carrier remained Oxford blue, then I'd say the bird could be either DSG or RAF BG.  However, if the cab was Oxford blue, I'd be very surprised if they had supplies of DSG or RAF BG on board.  I know when we had two Lynx in BOXER in 88 and one was DSG and the other medium sea grey.  Our SMR had a devil of a job persuading the Jack Dusties (the Stores Accountants) that he needed both colours in case of the need to touch up either cab.  Of course, they could have got it from one of the carriers which would have had both for the SHAR and Sea Kings.

The only colour photo of a Lynx from the conflict that I have is PENELOPE Flight and it is definitely still Oxford blue overall.  That photo was taken relatively late on because it is fitted with the Hampton Mayfair jammer which didn't deploy south until 10 May.

I had a quick read through some of the stories in Larry Jeram-Croft's book, "Lynx, an operational history", to see if there was anything in there at all about airframe colours.  Couldn't find anything specific to XZ729 but it did point me at another online search where I found a report from someone who was in BROADSWORD at the time.  According to that report, the blast knocked off the tail of the Mk 44 torpedo and they did indeed have an Otto Fuel spillage on deck (really nasty stuff), which explains why the tail cone is missing from the torpedo.  It went on to say though that one of the other BROADSWORD cabs, XZ728, which had been damaged by cannon fire earlier in the conflict, was eventually fitted with XZ729's tail cone before its fuselage was lifted off and onto Atlantic Causeway for return to UK.  And importantly that the tail cone still had XZ239's registration number on it.  So I think you'd be good to go with XZ239 on the tail cone but from the looks of it, overpainted in black.

Hope that helps

• Like 2

It really does thank you Chewbacca sir I appreciate the support you have given me on this.

I think I'll be safe to paint the housing in Oxford Blue and work on the basis of the MAD bird having been over painted RAF BG to camouflage it's usual red and yellow colour scheme for security in the approaching war.

Do you know of any decent shots of the winching apparatus please Ralph, I'd like it to be close to the real thing.

I think these Lynx had the Doppler device in front of the nose wheels and intend working on that basis when I hang stuff off the underside with antennae and the grapnel device etc.

• Like 2

Loving this Bill. Like you said, it’s all about the “story” and this one has that in spades. Looking forward to the damaged paintwork around the blast and all that goes with it. Really enjoying this. 😇

Johnny

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Do you know of any decent shots of the winching apparatus please Ralph, I'd like it to be close to the real thing.

Sorry Bill, as I said previously, this kit had been withdrawn from service before I started my Lynx conversion (or at least by the time that I graduated front line) and I've never seen it.  I think the only photos I have that show it are the same ones of XZ729 that you have.

8 hours ago, perdu said:

I think these Lynx had the Doppler device in front of the nose wheels and intend working on that basis when I hang stuff off the underside with antennae and the grapnel device etc.

That's absolutely correct.  Notwithstanding that this photo is a Dutch SH-14B because it's the best illustration of an early Lynx underside I can find online (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting links to Alamy images) , the doppler is identical to both this and the HAS 2/3.  The doppler is the square device on the centreline between the nosewheels and the radome with rounded corners and with a ridge down the middle which separates the transmit from the receive side of the aerial.  It sits almost flush with the fuselage and is a sort of duck egg green colour.  Of note, the two smaller squares on the port side, one in front of and one behind the doppler are the radar altimeter aerials.  They sit very slightly proud and are aluminium in colour.

a-westland-lynx-mk27-sh-14b-helicopter-1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Superb.

One of the best shots of a Lynx belly I have ever come across thank you Ralph.

FILED!

I thought the devices I have seen glimpses of might be the rad alts, good to know for sure.

And lovely shot of the doppler and the deck grabbing doohdah, not proud of a memory which throws away everyday knowledge like mine at the moment, I am sorry the correct name has flown away.

It will return to me I am sure but until then it's  grabbing doohdah inside here.

As for the winching device, somebody might know and impart their memories one day, hopefully I can then file it away for future Lynx modellers to access for their own models.

On we go for now, I am pondering fitting an operator seat and some black box array gear if I find any.

I am assuming the gear was in use simply because it was fitted back then, I see in one of our shots it must have been 'parked' by removing the lower bolt and tipping it forward to the fuselage side above the sponson

P1010662.jpg

MAD on a tilt.

Ah I still see some colour on the MAD birdie too, obvs Jack is at action stations or ready to be so but it seems this photo was taken as 729 was being tidied up soon after the bomb bounced, lots of incidental tidying has been happening

P1010663.jpg

Perhaps I should have used this image to model from but I like the more immediate version I have aimed at, hopefully showing more of the action.

Now of course I need a deck plan of BW's rear flight deck to model from...

• Like 4

Adjusting the MAD carrier today

Brackets for the mounting

As a first try this might need altering later on17091378969627314055548870306921.jpg

Chewbacca suggest this rail along the top is where the MAD winch lurks

1709137935357355491952042609680.jpg

I'll work along the lines of consensus, winch it is.

DSG finish

1709141085924710978922694836797.jpg

I dont have a scooby but I do think this will do

17091411512005210021899262366589.jpg

Payload for the device

17091420056004065163833141347057.jpg

Yes the paint is dodgy but frankly I dont give a d...

This is before much of the paint gets distressed off the bird, as seen in many a picture of the AN/ASQ-81 in service use

• Like 9

Maybe young John, but only a leetle bit

Shall we take a minute or two to consider where we are?

XZ729 was hit by a bomb, possibly purchased from the UK in less stressful times, which hit the sea and bounced up through the side of HMS Broadsword, here after sometimes called BW for her landing deck code, and upwards through a couple of bulkheads below deck and out through her flight deck.

The bomb now in the act of ballistic flight took a hefty bash at the Lynx's nose wiping out the radome and much of the stuff tucked away inside.

My model will be based upon 729 with her nose off and tail folded after she'd been pushed back aft of the deck grapple grid.

Her port windscreen has been forced out and up by the impact, several windows were destroyed in the incident and an attempt is being made to get the flight deck capable of action again.

I have no idea whether the crew achieved this but I'd lay a few bob that  they did.

The Mk46 torpedo on the starboard weapon station had its tail containing the motor knocked off by the impact and the very volatile OTTO fuel that drives the weapon caused the deck to be awash with it's nastiness. 

Much of the nose section, including great lumps of the fore end of the cockpit have been stripped, bent and rather worn out.

Wires hoses and cables everywhere, miles of them.

The airframe carried MAD gear aboard which makes me wonder whether the interior of the cabin had the normal cross cabin six seater suite or would there be a unit to control the MAD bird and a seat for the MAD control console operator.

You will have noticed me trying to mount the MAD bird in a fog of unknown whatever, no extant photos to show the method of attachment to the rear strongpoint in my archives darn it

But

Last night his photo came into my greedy possession, thanks sir, it's of XZ729 BEFORE the bomb and from above , maybe above the hangar roof. 

Let's have a butcher's.

nose-view-before-bang.jpg

This is so good, upper surface detail for my first time look down on it, this view has the port weapon station on view and luckily it is exactly the type I made it of yesterday, brilliant  (and funny enough this Lynx was borrowed from HMS Brilliant so an unexpected bit of verbal fun huh?) and verifies my work so far.

So present state of the game

MAD bird made and mounted on the station and the Mk 46 sitting (leaking?) under the starboard weapons station

17091964259423672574742982859236.jpg

The weapon and MAD bird not yet fitted, stickers to go on nextly.

Would the BT be at an upper point or a lower point on the tail knife-edge I wonder?

I do have to decide about the inside cabin furnishings, I'm tempted to do a bogus MAD set up with a nice armchair for the sailor in there, never stops does it.

SO many unanswered questions...

Plan A

XZ729-seen-from-nose.jpg

IMG-0709.jpg

Remember these, they are Plan A.

Folded tail, still a hazard to BW before fixing her up a bit, soon after this XZ729 loaned her tail boom to another Lynx with need of a good tail boom.

Which gave rise to stories that 729 was flying the next day, she wasn't but she did go to Fleetlands for repairs after the war.

Which brings her into my own narrative, a very good friend of ours here flew her in later years and that makes me very pleased to read of it.

Well done little 729 me duck.

• Like 8