Flying alongside RW382, The Suffolk Spitfire

robstopper

I've posted some pictures earlier this year, when I had the chance to spend the day hanging out with The Suffolk Spitfire at IWM Duxford. Last Saturday, I managed to round off the season with an amazing "fly alongside" experience with what is now my favourite Spitfire!

They've been operating the aircraft on the Classic Wings flight experiences this year to earn its keep, and this weekend was going to be the last flights of the season before the winter downtime, so I decided to spend the money on a seat. Glad I did!

This is the 3rd such flight I've done (one from Duxford with TA805, and one from Biggin Hill with TE308), but I have to say, it was by far the best. George flew beautifully and dynamically, not just straight and level alongside the DH Dragon Rapide - he was almost "dogfighting" with it, swooping up and down from ahead and astern, really showing off how graceful a Spitfire is in the air.

To top it off, the Dragon Rapide was flown by none other than Dan Griffith, so I've had the honour of being flown by one of the pre-eminant Warbird pilots currently operating in the UK.

Here's a few of my pics.

DSC-0055.jpg

DSC-0057.jpg

DSC-0110.jpg

DSC-0161.jpg

DSC-0207.jpg

DSC-0082.jpg

DSC-0234-01.jpg

DSC-0239.jpg

DSC-0264.jpg

DSC-0268.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Cracking images and of a Spitfire with markings other than the RAF. I've done the Classic Wings flight with MH434 so I can completely understand how much you enjoyed the trip. Thanks for sharing these. 

My first flight should have been with '434, but she went technical on the day. When we rescheduled, it was alongside TA805, which kickstarted my whole relationship with Biggin Hill! Coincidentally, thats where I first saw RW382, back when she was still her 322 Dutch squadron colours.

Edited by robstopper
  • Like 1