Israeli Improvised Armoured Car Type 2.

Finally decided on what to build for this GB. Hopefully I'll finish this time. I've built a Type 1 and a Type 4 before, but this one is  little different. Whereas with the previous two I was able to use a lot of the donor kit, but this one will be about 70% scratch built. The Type 2 was practically rebuilt (bodywise), from the engine cover, all the way back.

This is the donor kit. It's the Hobbyboss White Scout Car, early version.

A4B5549.jpg

And this is what I hope that it ends up looking like.

TbtdTx4.jpg

There won't be much to show to start with, as I'll be back in England for a couple of weeks for Telford.

John.

PS. Anybody know where I can get hold of some decals with the style of numbering displayed on the side of the engine covers?

• Like 18

Hi John,

couldn’t find all on one sheet but their is a cheap one on eBay for the Hebrew figure/diget….I think: you’d have to double check by sight from pics but think this one is included. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174287901298?chn=ps&var=473348203165&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=473348203165_174287901298&targetid=1817264050075&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007284&poi=&campaignid=18521530791&mkgroupid=144999981591&rlsatarget=aud-1641271186540:pla-1817264050075&abcId=9302159&merchantid=101765430&gbraid=0AAAAAD_Lr1fA7NWcud2d2EtmvtyFSOCg7&gclid=CjwKCAjw2OiaBhBSEiwAh2ZSP8cnqxu91gxWoXhKxpOZAgy4gk-2ANqvVotVLCqlQZB9qTh3YotgiRoCT6IQAvD_BwE

These look to be in a range of sizes from 1mm to 6mm. I think around a 4mm may do it.

Then this might be of use for the rest of numbers as I the same style, their at wayland games and also include lots others which might be of use for other projects:

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/green-stuff-world-accessories/76694-waterslide-decals-tactical-numerals-and-pinups?gclid=CjwKCAjw2OiaBhBSEiwAh2ZSPxBUeCyP38FhFg9QWSU0faIuPBY98fYgDWKdE8EuRdgvxkrP8PB6XRoC8UwQAvD_BwE

Looks like it’s a great project, good luck.

Paul.

2 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Looks like it’s a great project, good luck.

Thanks Paul, and thanks for the info. I nearly got very excited until I read the bit that says, "Doesn't post to France". Oh well. I'll just have to see what I can find at Telford. Thanks again.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Paul, and thanks for the info. I nearly got very excited until I read the bit that says, "Doesn't post to France". Oh well. I'll just have to see what I can find at Telford. Thanks again.

John.

Dammm

• Like 1

OK, up and running.

A (very) brief history. When the state of Israel came about in 1948, it's formation immediately started a war with the surrounding Arab nations. Israel had virtually nothing by way of AFV's, so they began to scout around for anything that they could lay their hands on which could be converted into something that they could use to defend their lands. One such item was the White M3 Scout Car, but it didn't really offer a great deal of protection, so they were heavily modified. Basically, there were four types, 1-4. Types 1,3&4 retained a lot of the original bodywork, but the Type 2, was completely rebuilt from front to back. This obviously meant that they were more complicated to build, so therefore, not many of them were produced.

So onto the build. The first job was to remove the front mudguards from the chassis, with a razor saw and knife.

Uqltou6.jpg

Well, it's a start. More to come.

John.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Looks like this going to be an interesting project John.

If I can find the correct font I could probably cut you some masks for the numbering.

Wayne

That would be great, but I know that the font is illusive. I've checked all of my old decals, and I have it covered, but not sure that they're all the same size.

10 hours ago, robw_uk said:

have built a bog-standard m3a1 so looking forward to you converting it...

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

It wouldn't be a Bullbasket build without selecting the most difficult type to build...looking forward to it.

Stuart

Thanks for the comments. Appreciated.

John.

The rest of the chassis components and engine were assembled and glued into place, ready for the main build on the bodywork.

Confession time. I did make a start on this a couple of days ago, so that I could get the chassis out of the way and move onto the bodywork, but it was all within the 25% rule. The bodywork and the turret are the main build.

HqPczip.jpg

All the drive shafts, exhaust and springs in place.

Wheels just dry fitted as I'm trying to decide whether or not to turn the front wheels at an angle.

2XyYSDV.jpg

Now onto the bodywork.

John.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That's a great start John, looking forward to see how this one progresses

Ed

Thanks Ed. I'm trying to get as much of this done before I go to Telford  next week. I'll be over there for about three weeks, hence the hurry up.

John.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Ed. I'm trying to get as much of this done before I go to Telford  next week. I'll be over there for about three weeks, hence the hurry up.

John.

Nice I must go there one year, will you be exhibiting anything?

2 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Nice I must go there one year, will you be exhibiting anything?

Yes you must, as you'd probably really enjoy it. I've only missed one year since 1986. I'll be entering my Israeli Improvised Armoured Car Type 1 from the beginning of this year, and, if I can get it finished in time, my IDF M50. Fingers crossed.

John.

• Like 3

Making a start on the bodywork now. I glued the boxed in wheel surrounds in place, as apart from being essential, they also give a lot of support to the body panels.

4MVh8fg.jpg

The next job needing attention was the three main bulkheads which will support all of the side walls and the roof. I glued 90 degree triangular fillets each side to ensure that they were vertical. I took all of the dimensions from the drawings in the Mousehouse Publications book on early IDF armoured cars, but had to allow for things such as the thickness of the card that I'm using, and the slight discrepancies between the drawings and the kit parts.

tpbJ7z5.jpg

6h46IWQ.jpg

Z34wR0y.jpg

I've got to do some work on my M50, but I've still got some updates for this one later on.

John.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Interesting kit John, and some severe changes going into this! Will have to keep an eye out for your armoured car at Telford, would be good to see your builds in the flesh.

Thanks BF. Yes, there are some drastic changes to the kit. I don't think that the designers at White ever envisaged a roof and a turret on their Scout car.

John.

On 31/10/2022 at 18:31, edjbartos said:

That's very nice and neat John, looking good...

Ed

Thanks Ed. Much appreciated.

Lower side and rear panels cut out and installed. Very happy with the fit. All of the three bulkheads were dead in line (well almost). The wheel arches were cut out as an approximation, and then trimmed up with a sharp blade and wet and dry once the panels had set hard.

azibHKJ.jpg

Forward and middle roof sections cut out and installed. Rear sloping panel glued in place after cutting out the pistol port.

oUP0mMS.jpg

To get the approximate shape of the two upper side panels, I held a piece of .5mm card against the side and drew around it with a pencil. This was then cut out and tried against the side for fit. The two pistol ports were marked out and then cut out by drilling the four corners and then finishing off with a 10A blade. Happy with the results, the two pieces were glued in place, and when the joins had hardened, the edges were trimmed with a sharp blade. Final job before adding detail was to run some filler around the joints and after leaving them for a couple of hours, they were rubbed down with a fine sanding stick.

af7Uzmp.jpg

HcBbi6q.jpg

w7sCQwi.jpg

ALI5B23.jpg

That's the state of play at the moment. Back when I've got something more to show.

John.

• Like 17