RAF P47 Thunderbolts

Richard S

I’ve just started the Tamiya P47 Razorback. It will be finished in RAF colours / markings for India / Burma. I was originally going to go with a centre line drop tank and bombs under the wings, but now I’m thinking I would like to do a set of 60lb rockets, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that rockets where occasionally used but can’t seem to now find where I read it nor turn up anything on the web. Does anyone know if rockets where used in this theatre or have I got it all wrong?

Thanks in advance of any help that can be offered.

Richard.

It's negative help but, after a quick look,  I can't find any in my collection of books and photos. They mostly have the underwing pylons for bombs or drop tanks. I doubt they were fitted for conventional rocket rails but others may know more. There are ETO pictures showing the triple bazooka-style launchers.

Thanks Ed, I thought I’d found a photo of one carrying the bazooka style ones but on further inspection that turned out to be a picture from a simulator type game, then one was captioned P47 with US 5” HVAR’s but that was actually a misidentified TBM Avenger.

I’m pretty sure the British had stocks of RP60’s in theatre for the Beaufighter’s and Mosquito squadrons but do not know if the Thunderbolts where even capable of carrying them, let alone actually did.

Thanks again

Page 58 of the Detail and Scale book (D&S Vol 54) has a close-up picture of two rockets under a wing and is captioned The British used rocket rails under the wings of their Thunderbolts (USAFM).  There is also a picture of a P-47N with 10x 5 inch rockets and provision for six more.

Wow, Ed that’s really good of you, when I asked for advice I just assumed people would either know or not and chime in as such, not take time to actually research these things for me. I am so grateful. 
I’m not exactly new to this hobby but I am returning after an extended hiatus, having sold my stash and the majority of my reference library ten years or so ago. I’m slowly building back up my references and your help here is sincerely appreciated.

Don’t recall ever seeing an RAF Thunderbolt in India/Burma with rockets. Here is a couple of IWM photos of a US one in the ETO with rockets.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205370232

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205369555

There is a series of photos of a P-47 with British rocket rails but these were taken in Britain and it was a USAAF aircraft being used for trials. Serial 42-8053. Very early P-47D-2-RE.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205369187

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205369185

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205369186

• Like 1

The Hurricane IV units in India were using rockets, so the weapon was present but like the others I have not seen any evidence the RAF P-47 units used them.  Ewen's photographs show the conflict between the rocket mountings being trialled and the shell casing ejection slots.

First USAAF use of rockets in northern Europe was on 17 July 1944 (the same day as the first use of napalm) the 9th Air Force says its P-47 used 13,783 rockets during the war, plus 344 jettisoned, the P-61 units used 273 rockets plus 2 jettisoned.  The RAF 2nd Tactical Air Force says it used 15,759 rockets in June 1944 alone.

Thank you all for your help and input with this, it is all very much appreciated. I think on balance rockets are not an option and it’s back to plan A , drop tank and bombs, just need to find some British pattern 500 pounders. 

I’m only recently back to this hobby and I don’t think I’m up to a WIP but I will post the finished article. I am trying to not get bogged down attempting to produce perfect models ( one of the reasons I gave up modelling for a while) but on the other hand I don’t want to make something that is obviously not correct.

Also a big shout out for Ed who has been most generous with his time and assistance and took the trouble to contact me via pm as well, thank you.

British 500lb bombs can be found in a number of kits, including the Bomber Support Set, the Airfix Typhoon, possibly the Revell Halifax.  Plus some aftermarket.  I understand that US pattern 30lb bombs were also carried on SEAC Thunderbolts, although possibly with British tails?

Thanks Graham, I think the ones you identified might be 1/72, my bad as I didn’t say but I need 1/48, I think I have some in an ICM Spitfire but they may be 250lb versions, time for a closer look.

I’m pretty sure US 500lbers where fairly frequently used but I would prefer British in this instance.