AVRO Anson Mk.I (A09091) 1:48

Mike

AVRO Anson Mk.I (A09091)

1:48 Airfix

boxtop.jpg

Originally designed as a fast mail carrier in the early 30s, the original AVRO design was amended in the mid-30s in response to a specification issued by the Aviation Ministry for a reconnaissance aircraft that could also perform other roles.  It beat a similarly militarised De Havilland Rapide and was awarded a contract for series production with the name Anson after an 18th Century Admiral of the Fleet.  At the outbreak of war it was still performing its given roles, and was engaged in the Dunkirk evacuation where it surprisingly managed to shoot down two Bf.109s and damage another, as they found the low speed of the Anson hard to gauge, overshooting straight into the line of the nose-mounted .303 machine gun operated by the pilot.  She was thoroughly outclassed as a front-line aircraft though, so was soon withdrawn from fighting service to form part of the training fleet, and as a communications ‘hack’.

Despite its withdrawal from service, more aircraft were built, and they were used as trainers for radar operators, navigators and as a trainer for pilots that were destined to fly multi-engined bombers.  Its replacement in maritime service was the Lockheed Hudson, which had a hugely increased range and speed, the Anson only being capable of a four-hour endurance that prevented it from covering much of the Atlantic or North Sea before it had to turn for home.  It was capable of carrying a small bomb load however, so could take action if it was to find a U-boat on its travels.  Following WWII, Faithful Annie as she became known was used as a civilian and business aircraft, although some of the wooden-winged examples that were used overseas began to suffer from problems due to the humidity’s effect on the timber areas.  Not all Ansons had wooden wings though, and some of the wooden winged aircraft were refitted with the improved metal wings, although even these were eventually retired, leaving only one airworthy by the new millennium.

The Kit

1:48 hasn’t been well-served with Anson kits apart from one that is now long-since out of production, and wasn’t renowned for its fit according to some sources.  This is a brand-new tooling from Airfix, and judging by the hubbub on our forum alone, it should be a good seller for them, as there appears to be a ready market, myself included.  The kit arrives in a reasonably large top-opening box in the usual red style of Airfix, and inside are six sprues in the darker grey styrene that was used for the recent Buccaneer kit we reviewed here.  There is also a substantial clear sprue with a pair of raised protective protrusions over the two canopy parts, although mine had been broken off in transit, doing their job of protecting the parts from harm in the process.  I glued them back on so you can see how they should look.  The instruction booklet is printed in colour on matt paper, and the decal sheet is found inside with a sheet of translucent paper protecting it from moisture damage.  The final component is a separate pair of glossy-printed folded A3 painting and decaling guides, with one option per page and the final page detailing the location of the surprising number of aerials and control wires that were found around the airframe.

Detail.  There’s some of that.  Lots of that in fact, and with this being an early airframe, the wooden wings and fabric covering have been moulded with undulations that hint at the structure under the fabric.  The interior is also similarly detailed, with tons of ribbing on the expansive interior of the aircraft, although there are by nature of injection moulding some ejector-pin marks here and there that you may or may not need to fill, depending on where the interior parts are placed in relation.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

sprue4.jpg

sprue5.jpg

clear.jpg

detail-interior.jpg

detail-floor.jpg

detail-fuselage.jpg

Construction begins with a strange lever on a triangular base that I have no clue about.  Answers on a postcard please.  It is added to the large floor part, which has the faintest wooden grain texture that I tried to photograph to no avail.  A short spar is applied to a step across the floor, and a three-part ‘commode’ seat for the pilot, plus a rather laid back-looking tubular-framed seat for the instructor/co-pilot is made up with separate sides and placed next to the pilot, plus another two-part commode-style seat and yet another backless stool are fixed into the passenger area, with three decals applied to cylinders toward the rear of the floor section.  The wider rear spar drops into a slot between the two passenger seats, with two scrap diagrams showing that it should be perpendicular to the floor in both directions.  The Annie’s cockpit was surrounded by a tubular frame that is formed from one part per side, which has details of various equipment and instruments moulded-in, first inserting the control column with bow-tie yoke, navigation table with angle-poise lamp, well-detailed instrument panel with decal and centre console plus rudder pegs, and a stack of radio gear in a tubular frame that also has a number of decals to depict the dials.  The starboard framework has a Lewis gun added across two of the triangular struts, then the roof framework is attached across the two frames, with the top of the radio rack locating in a socket moulded into the front cross-brace.  Two scrap diagrams show the sockets in the side frames and how they mate with the cross-frame for maximum strength and precision.  At the rear of the passenger area is a solid bulkhead with lots of details moulded-in, with a detailed painting guide for the various aspects, and a stencil decal for the bulkhead.  The port fuselage half has a detail insert applied to the inside of the wing root on three pegs, plus an instrument box further forward, and a clear lens in the upper nose, then it is slid over the spars of the cockpit assembly, with eight drawings showing the right and wrong position of several sections of the assembly.  Another Lewis gun is mounted in the port rear of the passenger area, then behind the rear bulkhead, a circular frame and another smaller bulkhead are glued together and inserted into grooves toward the tail to receive the turret later.  At the same time, a clear part is painted with three translucent colours on the inside before it is put in place in a triplet of half circles cut in the floor of the fuselage under the turret.  The starboard fuselage is prepared in the same manner as the port and closed up over the cockpit and spars, with seven more location guide diagrams with ticks and crosses to guide you.  A small hole is drilled in the cockpit roof insert before it is placed over the framework, and underneath is a floor section, both of which have feint ribbing moulded into their exteriors.  The fuselage structure is completed by adding the elevators that are linked together by a rod, with extra thickness added by another layer, both of which have subtle ribbing engraved.  The completed elevator is dropped into cups in the tail, and closed over by the lower elevator fins that also includes a short section of the tail underside.  The tops of the fins are separate, and as you may now have started to expect, they have rib-work moulded-in.  There is still a little work to do to the fuselage that includes the glazing, but attention turns to the wings next.

detail-wings.jpg

detail-engine.jpg

The main gear bay assemblies are made up around a short length of spar, trapping a cylindrical tank between the frames that hold the firewall to the front.  Each one is inserted into a nacelle that is moulded into the lower wing, with an UP arrow showing the correct orientation on these and the twin landing lights that fix into the leading edge of the port wing.  The lower wings are offered up to the fuselage and are mounted by gluing the longer rear spar, and the front spar overlaps on a pair of studs to strengthen the join.  The upper wings close over the rear of the bays, while the front section is covered by two further cowling parts that close each of the bays entirely.  A brief diversion to apply the ailerons and their actuator tab to each wing leads us back to the engine nacelles, which need an engine each to complete them.  The Anson flew slowly thanks to a pair of Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah IXs that generated a staggeringly unimpressive 335bhp each from their seven cylinders, which are depicted in full here, beginning with front and rear halves of the cylinder banks, which are backed up by intake trunking on a circular block, and have the pushrods moulded into the bell housing at the front, which also traps the prop-shaft in position, leaving it free to spin if you are careful with the glue.  More ancillary parts are added front and rear, with the exhaust collector fixed to the ports on the rear of the cylinders.  The Annie’s cowling was covered in fairing bumps to accommodate the piston cylinders, and to achieve maximum detail it is made in three segments, which each have three fairings added from separate parts that fit in recesses, with the area in the centre of each fairing hollow to allow the pistons to project into the fairings, just like the real ones.  With the three sections joined around the engine to make up the full cowling, a small exhaust slots into another recess, and both engines are glued to the front of their nacelles, with the exhausts facing outboard.  Another diversion has you gluing the two rudder halves around the C-shaped hinge that is moulded into the fin, and this can also be left mobile if you don’t slather it with glue.

The Anson has an expansive full-length series of windows all along the sides of the passenger compartment, and each side is supplied as a single part, with some stencil decals applied to the inside before gluing them in place.  If ever there was an excuse to get one of Eduard’s Tface inside/outside mask sets, this kit is it, as there is a lot of framework that will be too shiny inside unless it is painted.  There is a choice of two front canopy types with different frame layout, which you can refer to the decaling drawings to decide which one you need, and two roof lights are fitted into square holes there.  The nose is supplied as a clear part because it has a foglight in the nose, the reflector for which is styrene and should be painted with chrome paint before you insert it into the back of the clear nose.  The nose is fixed to the fuselage with a flat panel underneath to close up the fuselage.  While the model is inverted, a pair of oil-cooler loops are added to recesses under the engine nacelles, then it’s time to make up the landing gear.

Each main wheel is made from two halves, with a flat-spot moulded into the bottom, and they are installed in a short yoke that is in turn glued into the strut, which is unusual, as it has the bay door moulded integrally to it, and is supported when down by a twin strut at the front that locks into location within the main bay.  At the rear is a single-part tail wheel and yoke, then the airframe is detailed with the forward-firing machine gun, pitot under the nose, aerials, D/F loop and windscreen “things”, plus a tiny trumpet on the top of the port nacelle, which could be the fuel dump valve.  The two-bladed props are a single part each with a short cap studded with bolts added on top, gluing onto the prop-shafts projecting from the motors, then it’s turret-time!

The interior of the turret is built first with a bicycle seat for the gunner, suspended in a framework that drops down into the turret ring, on top of which the gun mount sits, fitting the final Lewis gun at the front on a small upstand.  It is enclosed with glazing by first gluing on the port side, adding a central faceted panel, then finally gluing the starboard side before popping it into the hole behind the cockpit and completing the model… except for paint.

Markings

As already mentioned, there are three decal options included on the sheet, with a varied set of schemes and operators to widen its appeal.  Each option gets its own page with the remaining side covering the aerial/rigging diagrams.  From the box you can build one of the following:

• N9732 No.500 (County of Kent) Sqn., Royal Auxiliary Air Force, RAF Detling, Kent, June 1st 1940
  • AW665 Coastal Commands Camouflage Trials Aircraft, No.71 Sqn., Royal Australian Air Force, Lowood, Queensland, October 1943
  • KB727 No.3 Training Command, No.31 General Reconnaissance School, Royal Canadian Air Force, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, 1941

profiles.jpg

decals.jpg

Decal option A was the Anson that was responsible for shooting down two Bf.109Es from I./JG20 over the English Channel on that day.  Decals are by Cartograf, which is a guarantee of good registration, sharpness and colour density, with a thin gloss carrier film cut close to the printed areas.  The instrument decals have the dials and outlines, so you will need to paint the panel first.

Conclusion

The Anson doesn’t perhaps get the kudos it deserves due to its predominantly second line service, but it was an important machine that was responsible for training a huge number of pilots, navigators and radar men that went on to play their part in the defeat of the Reich.  She’s an elegant bird, and must have been well-loved to garner the nickname Faithful Annie.  She’s also a cracking-looking model that should be much easier to build than previous kits.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

that looks very nice, thanks!  For 'Dogfight Double' fans Staffelkapitän 1./JG 20 Walter Oesau claimed a 'Blenheim' (Anson of 500 Sq.) north of Ostend on June 1, 1940. In the same combat Uffz. Werner Bielefeldt had to make an emergency landing along the coast after damage to his machine;  pilot unhurt, 109 wrecked. I./JG 20 became III./JG 51 later that summer..

I've seen the first criticism of this kit last night and today, focussed on the relief detail moulded onto the wings:

the wings on the avro anson are one-piece plywood and spruce wooden wings. The rippling/stress skin effect in the kit is completely inaccurate. I don't know where they got it from but its wrong and they've done it not only top side but underside of the wings too. Such a major flaw in the kit is not good.

There was a bit more personal view about the company stated which I've excluded.

I'm no expert on Ansons so did have a look around. Evidence in support of the moulded detail is relatively sparse on Google Images but not non-existent, and it possibly comes down to which airframe Airfix performed their LIDAR scan on. N4877 does appear to be one aircraft which shows similar effects to those moulded, although being painted a matt finish it's not obvious in photographs unless the light source, subject and camera positioning are all just right. I'd be grateful for some more insight from SMEs if there are any here?

6102b88d5686b3b80ac7070f_1280px-Avro_Ans

I still think the kit looks like it should be a good kit, and I am keen to hear how it goes together.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Julien said:

Thx

Sorry Julien, I could probably have answered my own question by checking out the Walkaround section first. For anyone who hasn't seen it, there's a cracker of a shot in here showing this feature.

This one - hope this is ok to repost @Julien?

4877%2008.jpg

Looks like Airfix has done a decent job afterall which is great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got mine direct from Airfix yesterday. Having struggled for most of the day to get everything aligned on the new Meteor so that the wings and fuselage would close, I am a little worried about those “right way/wrong way” assembly diagrams that I noticed and Julien flagged in the review. I am not new at plastic modelling having been building continuously since 1952, but I found it all but impossible to align the many little tabs and bumps around the cockpit insert and the spar/wheel well assemblies. Lots of jiggling, clamping, closing gaps with finger pressure when clamps wouldin’t do it, some super glue and more jiggling. Seems like one can’t glue anything until everything clicks in. Not so easy with only two hands. And the Meteor did not need any “this is the wrong way” diagrams. Knowing the tolerances on these kits I was extra careful with clean up and test fitting.. a little afraid to start the Anson.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I've seen the first criticism of this kit last night and today, focussed on the relief detail moulded onto the wings:

As is so often the case with ‘armchair experts’ armed with a keyboard. 

A few minutes worth of research and it becomes fairly obvious that this is a metal-winged machine and therefore the surface detail provided by Airfix is perfectly correct. 

If he/she wants a wooden-winged machine than that’s a different story…

Tom

• Like 3

When this kit was publicised,  I knew the Anson had taken care of some 109's and performed stirling work keeping U-boats down but I was a bit non-plussed thinking it a strange subject when there are so many other exciting aircraft.  Now, the more I look at it the more enthusiastic I am.  A very under-rated and almost forgotten aircraft that didn't receive the glamour of others.  Well done Airfix

(Now if you would just do the same on the DH88 Comet, and the Supermarine S6 and ........  🙂  )

And the video clip above says it all.

• Like 2

So, I now have several copies of this kit, delivered direct from Airfix to fill my pre-order. 

On the whole, the kit looks superb and the surface detail is some of the best, if not the best, the Airfix has done under Hornby ownership.

But, and you knew there was going to be a but, on every single one of the late style upright windscreen and greenhouse parts there is what looks like a cold shunt line at the aft end of the greenhouse. The shape of the line is roughly semicircular and similar but not identical on each copy of the canopy. It clearly goes through the entire thickness of the part. In contrast, the early canopy is flawless.

I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this problem in their kit(s)? 

I will probably report the problem to Airfix and ask for replacement parts. It’s just an unfortunate problem with what otherwise looks like an excellent kit.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I've just checked mine and it's there too.

Cheers,

Alistair

That’s unfortunate but I’m not entirely surprised. The line is there on all six canopies (part F12) I have so this appears to be a systematic issue with the way the moulding machine was set up. I got a response back from Airfix; their QC manager is looking into the problem.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

That’s unfortunate but I’m not entirely surprised. The line is there on all six canopies (part F12) I have so this appears to be a systematic issue with the way the moulding machine was set up. I got a response back from Airfix; their QC manager is looking into the problem.

I just got the standard "We're busy" from the spares dept. email and we'll try to reply withing 28 days."

So, I'll wait and see what happens.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I just got the standard "We're busy" from the spares dept. email and we'll try to reply withing 28 days."

So, I'll wait and see what happens.

Cheers,

Alistair

I got that email, but very soon after I got a second reply:

“Dear Sir

Thank you for your e-mail.

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.

The Q/C Manager is looking into the problem with F12.

I will update you as soon as possible.

Sorry for any inconvenace this has caused.

Thank you

Regards

Airfix spares”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 11:03 PM, Mike said:

At the outbreak of war it was still performing its given roles, and was engaged in the Dunkirk evacuation where it surprisingly managed to shoot down two Bf.109s and damage another, as they found the low speed of the Anson hard to gauge, overshooting straight into the line of the nose-mounted .303 machine gun operated by the pilot. 

That is one of the funniest things I've read all week! It's the aircraft equivalent of "You were beaten by a little giiiiirl". Thank you for that :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Basosz said:

That is one of the funniest things I've read all week! It's the aircraft equivalent of "You were beaten by a little giiiiirl". Thank you for that :D 

A WHOLE .303 machine gun, no less! :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/28/2022 at 2:40 AM, VMA131Marine said:

So, I now have several copies of this kit, delivered direct from Airfix to fill my pre-order. 

On the whole, the kit looks superb and the surface detail is some of the best, if not the best, the Airfix has done under Hornby ownership.

But, and you knew there was going to be a but, every single one of the late style upright windscreen and greenhouse part there is what looks like a cold shunt line at the aft end of the greenhouse. The shape of the line is roughly semicircular and similar but not identical on each copy of the canopy. It clearly goes through the entire thickness of the part. In contrast, the early canopy is flawless.

I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this problem in their kit(s)? 

I will probably report the problem to Airfix and ask for replacement parts. It’s just an unfortunate problem with what otherwise looks like an excellent kit.

Had the same in my kit. Contacted Airfix spare parts who sent a perfect replacement in no time. Fair play to them on this one as I have found their spares very wanting when it comes to clear parts in the past. Good quality clear parts seem to be their Achilles Heel with their kits.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, andyrowe said:

Had the same in my kit. Contacted Airfix spare parts who sent a perfect replacement in no time. Fair play to them on this one as I have found their spares very wanting when it comes to clear parts in the past. Good quality clear parts seem to be their Achilles Heel with their kits.  

Bought mine today from LMS and no issue with the transparencies 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me what a'cold shunt line' is?  Looking at my copy just now, there are some marks, which look like stress marks on the upright windscreen rear section, but nothing semi-circular. The greenhouse sections look perfect, so maybe I have been lucky.

About Mike's question about the start of the build,That strange 'lever on a triangular base' appears to sit just behind the pilot's seat with a sort of stirrup grip out to the right. I wondered about it being a gear pump handle, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Anson undercarriage was wound up and down.   Does anyone know?

John B

13 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Can someone please tell me what a'cold shunt line' is?  Looking at my copy just now, there are some marks, which look like stress marks on the upright windscreen rear section, but nothing semi-circular. The greenhouse sections look perfect, so maybe I have been lucky.

About Mike's question about the start of the build,That strange 'lever on a triangular base' appears to sit just behind the pilot's seat with a sort of stirrup grip out to the right. I wondered about it being a gear pump handle, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Anson undercarriage was wound up and down.   Does anyone know?

John B

Looks like a hairline crack, or just a hair for that matter, but is actually within the plastic so cannot be polished away. Doesn't have to be straight. Caused by flows of injected plastic meeting at different temperatures. The name varies because people make mistakes, and TBH I'm not sure which is right, but if you Google 'cold shut' that does pull up hits describing the process. The Wonderful World of Typos.

Paul.

• Like 1