FROG Gipsy Moth X 2 on restoration/ rebuild.

Paul J

Actually, I started the Widgeon a couple weeks ago from the Pavla kit while whittling at the flash on the parts while still on sprue but got carried away. Its almost finished. Just waiting for a set of transfers from NZ.

So far its got to the primer stage.
EeKSl1.jpg

Then there are these:  

A pair of FROG, original plastic, DH-60 Gipsy Moths that work on restoring them was started but never got on with. So I think I will resurrect these and try and complete them. Work has progressed on one with wings fitted but I need to make a couple more struts for it and a full set for the other one.   Markings yet to be decided but one will have NZ reggie.

vwAzXd.jpg

viQXD6.jpg

• Like 3

Progres om Gipsy Moths progressing steadily.

7EBtoU.jpg

As this is a restoration the fuselage still has the dark gloss green that I had applied during its first rebuild to be finished as G-AAAH . But it won't be this time. However, the green is rubbed down and the whole thing will be primed later.
SWAf6f.jpg

Oiq4IT.jpg
b0wfKP.jpg

Made the new struts I needed but only one of the originals is used. Also the rigging between the struts is done.  Going to paint this with brush work. You'll notice I made an exhaust pipe running down the length of the forward fuselage. This wasn't supplied in the Frog kit as it depicted Amy Johnsons MOth 'Jason' which, it seemed, did not have one. Undecided what scheme this will be yet ,but I have a plan..

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The slow progress on these has been stepped up a bit now. The one shown almost done has been re primed and new undercarriage made.

eWThev.jpg

Here, the second Moth making  steady progress while the other more complete one in new white primer over the top of the previous paint. I thought it easier than trying to rub off the older paint.

ti5FCj.jpg

This is the one in white. Note the new undercarriage scratch built from rod and aerofoil section strips. PLus a pair of wheels found in my box of spare wheels.
cANhQ4.jpg

Above, is the other Moth progressing slowly and also new scratch made undercarriage legs. This one is a bit better and isn't as 'squatty' as the first one. That will be rectified as I am unhappy with it so a new unit will be knocked up.
F6hUys.jpg

ReupfE.jpg

• Paul J changed the title to FROG Gipsy Moth X 2 on restoration/ rebuild.

Some more work done this afternoon.  All these pics involve the second of the two Moths. The other one is on pause for now. 

Made a complete set of new struts from aerofoil shaped rod and regular strip rod for want of a better description.  

g2ipIH.jpg

The new struts. Cut from the aerofoil plastic strip and ends tapered to match the original aeroplane struts or nearly match.
amYSyi.jpg

Cabane struts starting to go in place. The rather sharp, blunt ends will be carefully smoothed out once set.  Also, the top ends are a little longer than needed as they will go into holes drilled through the wing at the anchor points and hopefully give a bit of strength.
8Lg6sW.jpg

oKICGl.jpg

My plans for these rebuilds. copied from an old Scale models magazine article on doing up the DH 60 by FROG. I think the drawings are Granger ones.
Z25Dv8.jpg

A close up of the plans showing a Hermes moth but used for the length and shape of the exhaust which is the same as the DH 60X. The widened silencer section about mid way and just under the forward cockpit won't be done by me as I could not think of how to reproduce this, so I'll leave as is and live with it. At top of the image in thegrey area is my new exahust bent and cut to shape using round rod that is very close to size .... I hope.
QTCjYY.jpg

Here, you can see the exhaust in place and threaded between the front cabane struts. At the engine end I carefully prized it away and added the very short exhaust ports to push out the front end more realistically. Picture of this in next instalment.   Further back there are mounting brackets but all i can do in this scale is cut tiny pieces of plastic and insert them at about the bracket positions of the real aeroplane.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll be happy to report back with pics of the top wing installed with the new interplane struts.

• Like 2