Halcyon Alien Space Jockey TheB version

Cheers Chris and everyone else for you comments, they mean a great deal and keep me going to deliver. I’ve never been this driven before to accomplish the finished article. I’m really looking forwards to the painting/rubbing stuff onto it and seeing if I can do Giger justice with it. Dreading the Astronauts but the time I’m spending on the other areas of this build mean that I can research stuff so as to try and pull off what I envisage. The back wall dividers need to be done so that I can get an accurate layout for the floor extension so will work that whilst battling with the turntable. Illustrator and the Cricut software are being stretched so being a little more hands on with bits…as it should be!

brian.

need more eggs too!

I have no doubt that at some point in the very near future, I will be looking for an interconnect cable for a phone or an iPad and swear blind that I had one in the draw someplace!

lCjaZqb.jpg

• Like 3

Slow going and every time I get going it's time to get going to the day job!

wVsFmuK.jpg

NfblQiI.jpg

72CQ0Ck.jpg

Rk2vqyG.jpg

Images are just so that I can get an idea of the layout but I'm thinking that I might actually be able to pull this off!

Brian.

Just occurred to me that I've never 'scratch' built anything ever but for this... It just seems right. I love this movie so much. 

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Mike said:

Cheerios on a pencil? :clown:

Close Mike as it's a food group...Not the internal part though as I should've said the beading on the parallel sides along the top

Spaghetti !

j2YcRhs.jpg

I didn't realise that the spaghetti was shaped though and when I glued it I did so without the magnifier glasses but fortunately and luckily, I somehow managed to glue them straight and when the cast came out, noticed that it gave me a really cool line which you may be able to see in the pic above.

I've nearly enough parts cast so as to begin putting it together but it's difficult to figure where to start as I'll probably stick something down only to find that it needs to come up again because I can't get to something else with it in the way... Shall see.

Day job is upon me so have to leave for now...I'll no doubt be thinking about this blooming thing all day again and go into a trance like state whilst standing in front of the customers on the doorstep.

iNIsKzd.jpg4jqoG7q.jpg

• Like 7

O.k. 

So if we think along the lines that the Space Jockey is an Engineer of age and was at the time of his demise, going through a mid life crisis to the point that he bought a Giger designed Harley Davidson then I can use motorcycle references that will be understood. The twin exhausts of this Harley are lower than the gradient pipe elements of the turntable making the idea of having just the jockey and not the turntable turn a little difficult so may have to make the turntable,,, turn! will see. At the moment it all boils down to silly things like making my pasta align.

In short.

This part of the whole thing is fast turning into the hardest part of the whole thing.

Gonna get it done though.

Will post any progress as soon as but if not before Santa's night of glory and the days that follow close after.

Merry Christmas to all of you and thank you for your support.

Brian.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more very rough positionals just to see the difference that the adjusted turntable size makes. Sorry for the naff quality of images as I didn't realise I was in night mode,,,apparently!

ClxRftw.jpg

5pV0eaV.jpg

2rJPDhn.jpg

• Like 9

Break day tomorrow so should have the basics on the turn table sorted.

the list of to doos is narrowing!

Yay!

keep thinking Derelict to be a potential project but can’t decide as to whether it’s the ship from Alien or the concept from Zoolander!

Actually looking forward to this break day as my partners sister is over from Canada and she has never seen Alien (can’t believe that but they do exist!)

means 2 firsts. She never seeing the movie and me never seeing a movie on the player I’ve spent the last year paying for.

All good🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Main parts are all in place. Just the smaller wrap over pieces, the organic struts that I will now refer to as the 'snot bits', and some filling and sanding and even more ummmming and Arrrrrrrghing and sighing and stuff! And more Spaghetti!

Still figuring the cog bit for the circumference as I can't find a decent looking corrugated styrene sheet out there,,, yet!.

May need some Spaghetti!

k9NBhot.jpg

zPrK6hA.jpg

• Like 6

Having a devil of a time with trying to figure out a jig type thingy so that I can easily align all the elements. The wall dividers are also proving a little problematic but will endure.

There are some alignment issue with elements of the back wall but these can be adjusted case by case with relative ease.

3v5HA42.jpg

IeFrVhb.jpg

Cant wait to do the Astronauts!!!

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

That is MASSIVE and just as impressive. I’m still in the market for your corrected (and no doubt tasty) turntable base :yes:

Hi Mike. Hopefully in a few weeks as I need to still do the little bits and snot bits, figure out a spindle thingy and a pay day so as to purchase more Silicone Rubber.

Brian.

• Like 1

Really slow going with all the little bits of styrene. Had an issue with the extra thin glue doing what it does by literally melting the styrene to the point that when I applied it to the thin strips it would snap so it's back to the ole super glue for these bits.

Best purchase I think I've ever made are the light craft magnifiers from Hobbycraft that I couldn't believe cost only £20. Getting so much use out of these things because of the scale I'm working at.

GkEWXQf.jpg

ihWoSTb.jpg

• Like 5

So in the process of working the wall dividers and adding the finishing touches to the turntable. Been thinking about the centre part of the turntable and what would be the best way of approaching the revolving part (I think now that the jockey may just miss the raised elements so having just the jockey move within the turntable could still be on the cards). Thought of the idea of a spindle type thingy but would need to clean up the middle area and have the jockey sit bang in the centre. About a year ago I found in a front garden some old pipe that I was told was likely used in a pub or bar because it's translucent, originally I was going to make a new light for the kitchen from it with multicoloured LED strips (still on the cards) but last night it occurred to me that I might be able to use it for cleaning up the centre part if it was big enough.

I'll be jiggered!

4wj9Iyg.jpg

Bang on!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Mike said:

It's nice when these things just happen to be the perfect size.  Doesn't happen often, but it's good when it does :yes:

Has put some peace in the mind that I can possibly get the jockey to sit exactly in the middle and have it freely move. The idea I've kinda got for ensuring everything is central is to simply put the whole thing onto the record player and spin it!

I'll let you know how that works out!

• Like 1

One more thing ticked off the to do list!

The wall dividers seem ok for now so will go with them as I really need to get the turntable finished.

dq6PuGJ.jpg

Found some cheaper than cheap silicone rubber, online and when it turned up I didn't give it much hope because of it being less than half price of nearly every other supplier out there but low and behold, it worked a treat. Yay!

Went to order some more just to keep it for future use... No more in stock. Boo!

Ran out of Polyurethane stuff too so more coming in the week.

• Like 4